Reinstalling Quicken 2015

Windows 8.1 Embedded industry pro
Quicken 2015

I need to reinstall Quicken 2015.  I have no need for Quicken servers for any data transfer.  I am not sure what the purpose of connecting to Quicken servers even is, aside from it playing some role in downloading data from your bank.  Perhaps it's something that Quicken just requires you to do in order to use their software. 

I am unclear as to the steps that I have to take.  So far I have been able to download the Quicken software.  I am unclear now what I am supposed to do.  After I install Quicken, I then exit (without importing my data file, and then run the latest patch (R17.1) http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

I am interesting in also knowing what to expect.  My guess is that if I keep getting Windows updates, at some point Quicken wont work fully?  But, if I don't let Windows do any updates, then the software should work indefinitely?

Comments

• Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It depends what you mean by the software "working". Quicken 2015 is a discontinued product and so no bank downloads or other online facilities will work. You can continue to use the product by manually entering all of your transactions as long as it will run on the version of windows that you are using.

See Quicken's discontinuation Policy here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quick...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    But, if I don't let Windows do any updates, then the software should work indefinitely?
    If you don't update Windows and the computer is connected to the internet, you will be setting yourself up for possible security issues.

This sounds like a plan if the computer is sitting somewhere with ONLY a power line connection.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SilverthunderSilverthunder Member
    edited October 2018

It depends what you mean by the software "working". Quicken 2015 is a discontinued product and so no bank downloads or other online facilities will work. You can continue to use the product by manually entering all of your transactions as long as it will run on the version of windows that you are using.

See Quicken's discontinuation Policy here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quick...

Being able to manually enter my transactions is enough functionality for me. 
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member
    edited October 2018
    splasher said:

But, if I don't let Windows do any updates, then the software should work indefinitely?
    If you don't update Windows and the computer is connected to the internet, you will be setting yourself up for possible security issues.

This sounds like a plan if the computer is sitting somewhere with ONLY a power line connection.Ok, might make sense for me to plan on the purchase of a new version, then.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    splasher said:

This sounds like a plan if the computer is sitting somewhere with ONLY a power line connection.Note Splasher was talking about updating Windows to keep it secure, not Quicken.  If you are using Quicken in a manual mode you don't have to update it for security reasons.