List of Requests for Report Types in Quicken for Mac (297 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Jim BlackJim Black Member
    edited July 2018
    I agree !!
  • Alan SchwartzAlan Schwartz Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    so do I. Remember the old days when you did things by hand. I made a list of numbers, drew a lline underneath the last one, added them up and put your solution underneath the line. Made sense then. Why not now?
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah ✭✭✭✭ Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Alstuff said:

How about putting TOTALs at the bottom of the column rather than the top.

Moving to merge

Please reference the new conversation here: Report SubCategories
    edited February 2018
    Jim Black said:

I agree !!

Moving to Merge.

Please reference the new conversation here: Report Sub-Categories
    edited February 2018

so do I. Remember the old days when you did things by hand. I made a list of numbers, drew a lline underneath the last one, added them up and put your solution underneath the line. Made sense then. Why not now?

Moving to Merge.

Please reference the new conversation here: Report Sub-Categories
  • hyperstockhyperstock Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

For each of these below, first, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

Click the link to go vote for a columnar report (with selectable choices for rows and columns)

Quicken for Mac 2017 needs to work like the Windows PC version once did before it was sold off
  • smayer97smayer97 ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13

Click the link to go vote for a Comparison report format. (DONE) (this is just a subset or an application of the Columnar report with additional columns - see above)

(DONE)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 13

Click the link to go vote to Bring back Quick Reports. (Partially DONE)

(Partially DONE)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited January 13

edited January 13

Click the link to go vote for the IRR Report. (DONE)

Is this another request for the same thing or is this different?  financial analysis of investments

(DONE)

edited January 13

Click the link to go vote for a Tag report (just for tags). (DONE) (Note that this report request could be implemented as a subset of the previous IDEA above. Go to that link to see how).

(DONE) 

• Barry GilbertBarry Gilbert Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Q2018/Mac is improving.  But I cannot fully switch over from Q2007 until a full Quick Reports feature is available.  I use that feature multiple times each week in Q2007.  PLEASE continue to develop Quick Reports!!
    edited January 13

Click the link to go vote for the YTD investment returns report. (DONE)

(DONE)

• jacobsjacobs ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Barry, can you describe what Quick Reports you do? I'm a longtime Quicken 2007 user as well, and I've found I can find pretty much what I need in Quicken 2018 between the Quick Reports and the really powerful Search box.

The developers don't engage with requests to "just make it like Quicken 2007", but they do pay attention when people tell them what specific functionality they find missing (which can include examples from Quicken 2007). The specifics, and the how or why really matter in getting them to see where the current product is a problem.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited July 2018

Q2018/Mac is improving.  But I cannot fully switch over from Q2007 until a full Quick Reports feature is available.  I use that feature multiple times each week in Q2007.  PLEASE continue to develop Quick Reports!!

Moving to merge w/main Idea thread for this request.

Please reference the new conversation here: QMac 2007 Reports
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

Barry, can you describe what Quick Reports you do? I'm a longtime Quicken 2007 user as well, and I've found I can find pretty much what I need in Quicken 2018 between the Quick Reports and the really powerful Search box.

The developers don't engage with requests to "just make it like Quicken 2007", but they do pay attention when people tell them what specific functionality they find missing (which can include examples from Quicken 2007). The specifics, and the how or why really matter in getting them to see where the current product is a problem.

Moving to merge w/main Idea thread.

Please reference the new conversation here: Moving to merge
  • imabbqrimabbqr Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why is it taking so long to get some customization for report printing on QM18?.

QM18 is great except for the ability to customize report printing. A report that was 20 pages on Q2007 is over 196 pages when printed with QM18!
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka ✭✭✭✭ Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    imabbqr said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why is it taking so long to get some customization for report printing on QM18?.

QM18 is great except for the ability to customize report printing. A report that was 20 pages on Q2007 is over 196 pages when printed with QM18!

Merging

Please reference the new conversation here: Merging
    -Quicken Tyka
  • QuickenSince92QuickenSince92 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well it looks like all of our voting has gone for naught. I don't see any meaningful report upgrades in QM 2019.
  • Frank MooreFrank Moore Member
    edited October 2018
    What a bummer! I really would like to upgrade, but I have to stick with Quicken 2007 until they give me the reports in Quicken that I need. I don't understand why they can't provide the same reports as in the past.
    edited October 2018
    They are working on them. BUT there are significant changes needed and that takes time. And they will be released whenever they are ready. They do not have to time the release to the "annual" release, as that is no longer meaningful under the new Subscription model. 

Take a look at this thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-hope-im-wrong-but-it-doesnt-appear-that-qm2019...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited October 2018
    I see you've edited your original response in the referenced thread that you shut down. Your prerogative of course. I can only speak for myself but I'm very disappointed in the lack of report enhancement we've seen after numerous requests over the last couple of years. Quicken doesn't let us know what is/may be coming in future releases. We get told to vote on issues that are important to us, so we do that. Then we wait patiently for the next major release to come. And here it is - Quicken Mac 2019 without the reporting features we've been asking for. Now you are saying, "Don't get hung up on features only happening with major releases. With the new subscription model they can be slip-streamed in at any time." That is certainly true, but it doesn't provide any clarity as to when or if we'll see it any time soon. Reporting from a database has been a commodity style feature for many years with platform-independent reporting available at free to cheap prices. So, if I (or anyone else) sounds a little upset about not getting and not knowing when or if we'll ever get a highly-requested feature set, I believe it's justified.
    edited October 2018
    Steve, there were some very significant report upgrades in the 5.8 release just last month. The change from Quicken 2018 to 2019 is now just a marketing label -- the technology changes and improvements come as they are ready, not geared around the change of date on the label. 

From the release notes for Quicken 5.8:
    • NEW - In 5.8, you'll now be able to customize a report with No Tag and No Payee as options.
    • NEW - Reports now have a Scale to Fit printing option so that wide reports can be shrunk to fit on a single page, saving paper.
    • IMPROVED - Comparison reports now print in color.
    • NEW - Full budgets can be printed based on the number of months you want to see on a page. You have the option of having 12, 6, 4, or 3 months per page.
    • NEW - Added an option to print a summary budget.
    • NEW - In 5.8, we added the ability to print, export, and copy the portfolio view without lots.
    • IMPROVED - The Price and Holdings As Of date is now added to both exported and printed versions of the portfolio view.
    • NEW - Added the Scale to Fit printing feature to the portfolio view so that everything fits on a single page.
    For me, the scale to fit changes are game-changers. I found the printed reports previously almost unusable, and although they still lack some functionality I'd like to see, they are considerably more usable. Same for being able to print my investment portfolio: it was hopeless (without exporting and cleaning up) when it printed every lot before, but it's now quite usable.

Of course, there's still a long list of features, enhancements and usability tweaks users have asked for in reports, but I think it's incorrect to say there aren't any meaningful report upgrades.

The next big move forward would be if they retire and replace the old reports (which came over from the old Quicken Essentials), and had all the reports use the "New Report" engine they've been incrementally enhancing over the past year. that would also signal that they have the core functionality in place, and should be able to more quickly add more report types that users have asked for.

Frank, there's no great mystery here, although the situation is frustrating. They've been building the modern Quicken for Mac over the past 5 years. None of the code or core technologies in the old Quicken 2007 can be used in a modern Mac application, so they're needing to build things from scratch. In the first few years, they just used the limited reports from the older Quicken Essentials program from 2010. Last year, they began releasing in stages their work to create an all-new user interface and printing architecture for reports. It's advanced a lot, but still has a ways to go to match the functionality of Quicken 2007. Unfortunately, with a small development team, progress has been slower than either users or Quicken management had expected. For some of us longtime Quicken Mac users, this has been an annoyance, while for others, it has been a showstopper blocking a move off Quicken 2007. The good news, though, is that we can see by what they've released over the past year that they understand the shortcomings and are working to build out better reports.
    edited October 2018
    Jacobs, no snark intended, but if those are what you consider to be "significant report upgrades", I just don't know. Also you and I have had the discussion about what a commodity report writers are. It's not "rocket surgery". So here we are once again, still disappointed at the lack of meaningful progress.
    edited October 2018
    Steve/QuickenSince92, I agree it is frustrating not knowing what new features are coming when. But there are two factors working against them doing that:

(1) They do have competitors, and they don't want to tell the competition what they're working on months in advance. (I was just looking at the website of one of those competitors today, in response to a different post on this forum, and I thought it was interesting that a number of features in the brand new release of the competing product are things which quicken Mac has added over the last 12-18 months.) As users, we'd love to know what they're working on, but being in a competitive environment, they simply can't signal what's coming and allow the competition to match them or beat them to market.

(2) They often don't know when particular features will come out, because the amount of work needed to implement some features often can't be projected accurately until the project is well along. Sometimes there are inter-dependencies which turn out to make development more complex than originally expected. Additionally, even once new features are completed, internal testing and beta testing may turn up bugs which can be easy or complex to track down and fix. Or beta testing may send certain work back into the lab to make changes base don tester feedback. If they announced a certain feature was planned for December, and it turned out to take longer to finish, or clear testing, then users would get mad at Quicken for failing to deliver what they said was coming.
    edited October 2018
    Jacobs. A lot of software development these days uses a methodology called Agile or a related style of approach that has "sprints" of short coding - unit testing so that new features can be evaluating and adjusted in short order. This approach also allows for better estimates on when (and if) features can be delivered. When you couple this with feature requests driven by market and user feedback any good development group can make fairly accurate estimates. The old style of writing a spec and then coding every last detail before beta and GA is long gone. I'm not saying Quicken uses an Agile style approach, but I'd be surprised if they don't use it or something similar. It also helps greatly reduce required timeframes and surprises that send development into overtime.

Let's not go down this road anymore. No one knows what they're going to do or when (other than Quicken). I'm just one very disappointed Quicken user whose been waiting over a year for better reports and not happy with the progress.

edited October 2018
    Agreed that many are frustrated with the slower than expected progress. There is no arguing that. 

That said, this thread is not for this discussion. So, I am asking the moderators to move this into the other thread, where it can continue as desired.

edited October 2018

What a bummer! I really would like to upgrade, but I have to stick with Quicken 2007 until they give me the reports in Quicken that I need. I don't understand why they can't provide the same reports as in the past.

Moving to merge.

edited October 2018

They are working on them. BUT there are significant changes needed and that takes time. And they will be released whenever they are ready. They do not have to time the release to the "annual" release, as that is no longer meaningful under the new Subscription model. 

Take a look at this thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-hope-im-wrong-but-it-doesnt-appear-that-qm2019...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Moving to merge

edited October 2018

I see you've edited your original response in the referenced thread that you shut down. Your prerogative of course. I can only speak for myself but I'm very disappointed in the lack of report enhancement we've seen after numerous requests over the last couple of years. Quicken doesn't let us know what is/may be coming in future releases. We get told to vote on issues that are important to us, so we do that. Then we wait patiently for the next major release to come. And here it is - Quicken Mac 2019 without the reporting features we've been asking for. Now you are saying, "Don't get hung up on features only happening with major releases. With the new subscription model they can be slip-streamed in at any time." That is certainly true, but it doesn't provide any clarity as to when or if we'll see it any time soon. Reporting from a database has been a commodity style feature for many years with platform-independent reporting available at free to cheap prices. So, if I (or anyone else) sounds a little upset about not getting and not knowing when or if we'll ever get a highly-requested feature set, I believe it's justified.

Moving to merge w/OP