New web version has duplicate transactions causing balance to be different than desktop

I went to the web and mobile versions after the release of q2019 version r14.23 and have discovered the balances on two of my checking accounts were out of balance.  I have discovered two transactions that have caused one of the checking accounts to go negative almost $2,000.  The actual transaction was one for $1,000, but that transaction has been duplicated twice.  Since they were transfers, I can't delete them because I get the error message that quicken hasn't implemented that feature yet.

The web and mobile versions are entirely useless to me if I can't get this fixed.  Open to any ideas

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I just noticed the same in one of my accounts.  Here is what I did to "fix" it.  No telling if it will "stay fixed".

Log out of Quicken Web.

On Quicken Desktop:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts -> Reset your cloud data -> yes

It should sync, and hopefully be correct now.
  • jcweb35
    jcweb35 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

I just noticed the same in one of my accounts.  Here is what I did to "fix" it.  No telling if it will "stay fixed".

Log out of Quicken Web.

On Quicken Desktop:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts -> Reset your cloud data -> yes

Thank you for your response, however, the menu doesn't give me that option  See Image (I didn't include my account info).  When I press the Get Started, it just simply sends me to the mobile and web screen which is already set up.  I cannot find an option anywhere to reset cloud data!  I've shut it down and restarted it, and it still has the same option above.

I'm getting very frustrated.  I've used Quicken since the 1980's and it gets worse every year.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Log out of Quicken Web.

On Quicken Desktop:

Very strange, but there is still hope.  The cloud data can be deleted, but only from another data file.

First go to the "Cloud Accounts" and note the Cloud Account Name, if not changed it should be the same as your data file name.

Next create a new data file: File -> New Quicken File -> OK
    Sign in with the same Quicken Id, you can set Mobile data to off.
    Select Add Account and then just cancel out of the next dialog.

Go to: Edit -> Preferences -> Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID(x)

That will take you to a dialog where you can delete the cloud data for the original data file.

From there you can switch back to the original file and if you do a One Step Update, your cloud account will be recreated.

After that you may or may not have to setup Quicken Mobile again, but hopefully it will at least not show "Get Started" when it is already setup.
  • jcweb35
    jcweb35 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Log out of Quicken Web.

On Quicken Desktop:

This 'sorta' worked.  Once I did that, I was able to reset  cloud data.  I've had to do it twice so far, because I've got some stray transactions that should have been reconciled but were not.  Thanks for your help
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Log out of Quicken Web.

On Quicken Desktop:

I also experienced that unstable state where Preferences showed "Get Started" and the Mobile tab showed accounts were synced and working.  It happened after an error during a Reset Cloud data attempt. What I did to clear it was to "sign-in as a different user" and sign back in with my existing credentials.  The desktop file was then good but it took a couple of syncs to get the web app to match up.  It finally did.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Here is a slightly different variation and approach I took - but problem is recurring.  But perhaps someone from Quicken can tell me when this problem will be fixed.  Or one of you "experienced" folks can help.  So basically I too was seeing different balances on different accounts "all on transfer transcations" and playing whack-a-mole for a while.  So eventually decided to deactivate all accounts from web-sync.  I confirmed that all accounts disappeared on the web-version.  Also confirmed that the desktop version was correctly reflecting reality.  Then decided to re-sync all accounts in one shot.  After about 30-45 mins (figured Quicken was trying to identify matching transactions from all accounts on the web-side), had pretty much everything come out quite nicely on the web-side.

However joy lasted for 12 hours.  The next morning, not during download of transactions on the desktop, but during re-sync with web, two old (reconciled) transactions from Sep/Oct of this year appear as downloaded on the desktop version on my Capital One account and both the transaction and matching transaction had disappeared from the Chase account.  So upon accepting and reconciling, desktop version comes back to matching balances with on-line.  But now on the web version, the Chase one contains two duplicate transactions - effectively showing a lower than expected balance.  Funny thing - can't delete them - but more interesting - on the web if I go to either transaction and say take me to matching transaction on Capital One - it points to the same single transaction on Capital One!  So back to square one.

At this point, the web one seems completely unreliable and on top of it arbitrarily adds removes transactions on the desktop...

Am curious if QPW's joy lasted forever..

Am really hoping QUicken is working on a system fix for this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Here is a slightly different variation and approach I took - but problem is recurring.  But perhaps someone from Quicken can tell me when this problem will be fixed.  Or one of you "experienced" folks can help.  So basically I too was seeing different balances on different accounts "all on transfer transcations" and playing whack-a-mole for a while.  So eventually decided to deactivate all accounts from web-sync.  I confirmed that all accounts disappeared on the web-version.  Also confirmed that the desktop version was correctly reflecting reality.  Then decided to re-sync all accounts in one shot.  After about 30-45 mins (figured Quicken was trying to identify matching transactions from all accounts on the web-side), had pretty much everything come out quite nicely on the web-side.

However joy lasted for 12 hours.  The next morning, not during download of transactions on the desktop, but during re-sync with web, two old (reconciled) transactions from Sep/Oct of this year appear as downloaded on the desktop version on my Capital One account and both the transaction and matching transaction had disappeared from the Chase account.  So upon accepting and reconciling, desktop version comes back to matching balances with on-line.  But now on the web version, the Chase one contains two duplicate transactions - effectively showing a lower than expected balance.  Funny thing - can't delete them - but more interesting - on the web if I go to either transaction and say take me to matching transaction on Capital One - it points to the same single transaction on Capital One!  So back to square one.

At this point, the web one seems completely unreliable and on top of it arbitrarily adds removes transactions on the desktop...

My 'joy lasted "forever"' because I wasn't foolish enough to believing in Quicken Cloud/syncing.

I have never used Quicken Cloud/syncing on my real data file, only one use it for beta testing.  The risk for damage to my data file (and go unnoticed, so that a backup wouldn't help) is just too great for me.

I don't actually need to see Quicken away from my Desktop, and what the sync does is too "hidden" for my tastes.

And I know too much of the history to use it.  I'm amazed anyone uses it.

With that being said I have not seen the "Get Started" problem, but I have seen "strange transactions" duplicated in Quicken Web.  I have also not seen where the sync wipes out transactions/account/budgets on the Desktop, but mostly attribute that to the fact that I'm not really using it in "full blown user mode" only "testing mode".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Touche'
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I too experienced all sort of data issues when trying to make Web work. Apparently, there is "old" data on the web from previous syncing attempts and that data syncs with your desktop causing all sorts of havoc. I found that you have to first make a good backup of clean data, then sync to Web (which merges good data with old sync data), then you RESET data on Web (cleaning out the Web data), then restore your last good backup, then resync to Web. Then Web and Desktop are the same (hopefully).

Thought I had this figured out and spent the last week on the road entering new transactions via the Web. Of course I come home, sync desktop, and NOT ONE single transaction I entered on the Web synced to the desktop.
  • jcweb35
    jcweb35 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Worked fine for awhile, then I renamed my data file (the old one had the wrong date on it), selected the new data file on the web, then reset it, but now am getting "Oops something went wrong we are working to try to fix this" dialogue whenever I try to click on an account to see the activity.  I have two other accounts, and they don't give me that error.  I have tried reselecting and resetting the file several times.

The mobile version appears to be working correctly, just the web version.

This was handy for me when I am on the road, but looks like I'm going to have to abandon the web version.

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I don't know if this problem was ever fixed by Quicken, but I have started noticing all kinds of weird and unpredictable behavior since I started using the Web Quicken more often. It often duplicates transfers, especially in the days between entering the transaction and it clearing, so for example a transfer from Checking to Savings, entering both sides manually, will duplicate both sides when one side clears but the other hasn't yet.

I've even seen it change reconciled balances, often deleting or duplicating credit card payments from months or years ago. This seem to have something to do with payments made to accounts I decided not to sync online (because they're either very old and no longer in use, or they're unreliable  Like Capital One which asks for for a code every time I refresh it)

Web Quicken is actually one of the best features you've introduced and allows me to do a lot of things on my iPad without having to boot my desktop PC, but I can't really figure out why it's so unreliable for me.
This discussion has been closed.