Stock investments with cash accounts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 2016 Premiere on Windows 10
I have several investment accounts that have a Cash balance as well as stocks.
Does Quicken download process cash transaction into/out of that account?
If the balance is incorrect, how do I adjust it when the Security Selection list on the transactions page doesn't contain the CASH account?

THX

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    YES, Cash balances/transactions CAN be downloaded ... and as Cash, you don't need a "security"
    for cash.

WHETHER the cash is actually downloaded is entirely dependent upon your brokerage and what they decide to send ... since brokerage accounts are (almost entirely) Direct Connect and for DC the bank/card/broker/etc is entirely responsible for the content, and accuracy, of the download.

My broker is Fidelity Investments, and they're also my primary bank.  The cash portion of my taxable brokerage account is set up as a "Linked Checking Account" and the vast majority of my cash transactions are recorded there ... and properly downloaded from Fidelity.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    OK. It appears the cash transactions are being downloaded. 
    But the balances are wrong.

How do I adjust the CASH account when the transaction entry display only shows stocks in the account?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

OK. It appears the cash transactions are being downloaded. 
    But the balances are wrong.

How do I adjust the CASH account when the transaction entry display only shows stocks in the account?

Why do you think that?  Cash transactions should appear at the bottom of the pull-down transactions list when you choose the enter transactions button and shoodse a transaction type.

Such transactions also appear as a possible 'Action' for direct entries.  

If you have the account set up with a linked cash account, then the cash entries need to be made in that cash/spending account rather than directly in the investment account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    How would I manually cash to an investment account?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If it is a "Single mutual fund" account, it can't hold cash, only shares of the one mutual fund. There will be a button on the Account Details dialog to control this. Note changing to a regular brokerage account is a one-time decision, so do a backup first in case you change your mind.

If the account has a linked checking account, there will be a corresponding cash account in your banking account group.

If none of these apply, you can add cash to the account with a Cash transferred into account or any of the cash transactions listed at the bottom of the Enter transactions dropdown list.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.