Balance between the Quicken App on the phone and computer are different.

Discrepancy between phone and computer.  Cloud is assumed correct, but don't know which one it is sync'd with since both devices have completed syncing.  The balance on the phone is about $300 higher.  This is showing on multiple phones.  Quicken on the computer is correct, and matches what is in my bank account. 

Computer is Version R12.15, Phone(s) are 5.2.1 (11340) and 5.2.0 (11335).  Windows 10, Android 8.0.0

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    On your desktop Q, what is the connection method to this bank?  Do TOOLS, Account List ... and look in the Transactions Download column across from the account name.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm not sure why you would assume that the "Cloud" is correct.  It isn't magically, it can be wrong too (but both might be right depending on what is "wrong").

And there isn't anything anyone is going to be able to suggest without much more details.
    This amounts to saying "Its broken, fix it".

This is why people "reconcile".

In my opinion the first step is to look at the balance of each account, and find the one (or more than one) account that has the problem.  If the problem is in an investment account there won't be any transactions, but there will be the number of shares in each security, and the price.  And that might be the "problem" as in Quicken Desktop and Mobile have a different price for one or more securities.

If the problem is in a non investment accounts then you have to move on to the transactions and find what is different.  And that will then lead to "possible answers" of why it is different/wrong.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Transaction Download is showing "Yes" for both my checking and savings accounts.  For both, it has a hyperlink to "(Improve Connection)".  I started to go through it, but the description basically says that this is needed to download transactions...which I already do.  Is this something different?  Would it have an effect on how the Mobile App is seeing the account stored in the cloud?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    As for why i think the Cloud would be correct?!  since the Mobile App and PC App are syncing with the cloud so that they in theory would have the same data, it had better be correct!!  But that is the area that I do not think I can see to verify.  So you may be right, Chris.  And I am assuming it is correct, but you know what happens when you assume! ;)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

Transaction Download is showing "Yes" for both my checking and savings accounts.  For both, it has a hyperlink to "(Improve Connection)".  I started to go through it, but the description basically says that this is needed to download transactions...which I already do.  Is this something different?  Would it have an effect on how the Mobile App is seeing the account stored in the cloud?

OK, "Yes (Improve Connection)" actually means that you're using Express Web Connect to download from your bank.

EWC has an inherent delay built into it's architecture.  If Q logs into your bank's website at, say 1am, but your bank doesn't finishing processing until after that time, then what Q sees will ALWAYS be a day behind ... because Q won't see today's transactions until after tomorrow.

There's no way for you to adjust when Q logs in, just as there's no way for you to adjust when your bank finishes processing.  At Wells Fargo, for example, we didn't finish processing today's checking and savings account transactions until almost 6am the next day.

You might look into seeing if your bank supports Direct Connect, Q's most reliable download method.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

As for why i think the Cloud would be correct?!  since the Mobile App and PC App are syncing with the cloud so that they in theory would have the same data, it had better be correct!!  But that is the area that I do not think I can see to verify.  So you may be right, Chris.  And I am assuming it is correct, but you know what happens when you assume! ;)

so that they in theory would have the same data,
    Except for timing issues as to when the data is pulled.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

First off let's hit Express Web Connect vs Direct Connect.  Both are for downloading transactions, but Direct Connect is set protocol where Quicken talks directly to your financial institution.  Whereas Express Web Connect has Intuit's servers talking to your financial institutions using various (sometime unreliable) methods to get the transactions.  And as such sometime this will introduce delays in getting the transactions.

So Direct Connect generally "prefered", but it doesn't really sound like your problem in this case.

Also you said "For both, it has a hyperlink to "(Improve Connection)""

I assume you are using Express Web Connect not Web Connect (Web Connect is going to the financial institution's website and downloading/importing a QFX file).

If that is correct then the only "Improve Connection" possible would be Direct Connect.  And the very fact that you have that hyperlink suggests to me that your financial institution does support it.  Note if you do change over make sure you do it for all of the accounts at that financial institution.

Now on to why you can't assume that the mobile is always going to be right, no more than you can assume that Quicken Desktop is always going to be right.

First off it is the very fact that you have stated that you have a balance difference between the Desktop and the Mobile app.

As you have stated both of these pull data from your financial institutions, and both them are syncing.  If there is something wrong there isn't any definitive way of saying which is right without "reconciling" and seeing which is in fact correct and which is wrong.  Of if they are both right, but the data (like a security prices or transaction) is downloaded on one, but not the other, and not yet synced to the other)

But let's backup because I find your original statement confusing and as such maybe we are talking about two different things.

You stated "Cloud is assumed correct".

The assumption made here by me is "Cloud" is "Quicken Cloud", not your financial institution.  Because I would certainly agree with the statement that you should go off of the belief that the financial institution is correct (until proven wrong).

And if by "Cloud" you mean say the financial institution's website, then it makes more sense.  As in Quicken Desktop agrees with it, and Quicken mobile (Quicken Cloud) doesn't.

Just because there is "syncing" doesn't imply that everything will be identical.

We have already touched on the fact that the data pulled from the financial institution/security prices can be at different times and as such different data.
    Certainly this will happen with security prices during the day, and if you have not updated either the Desktop or on the mobile device.  Or maybe not synced between the Desktop and the Quicken Cloud account.

Other possible problems are bugs in the sync, or what the Quicken Mobile app is displaying, or maybe even something to do with manually entering transaction on Quicken Mobile.

The way the syncing works is that Quicken Desktop syncs to the Quicken Cloud account.  The Quicken Cloud account also pulls transactions from your financial institution's to update its data, and I believe that is once a day, unless you force an update from the mobile app.

The mobile app in turn gets its data from the Quicken cloud account.

As you might guess by the above, the possibilities of what could go wrong, simply stating that it is about $300 different gives basically no real information of what is different let alone try to isolate why it is wrong.

There is certainly no guarantee with even with knowing what is different will pinpoint the problem, but without there isn't anything anyone can do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I am guessing it is Express Web Connect as was commented previously.  I really do not know where it says it, but it is the system of Sync that Q uses when I log in...it goes out and retrieves the latest transactions.  As mentioned, what my bank is showing, Q is downloading.  So my Q on my PC is correct with what my bank shows.

I am confident in saying that the PC is correct because I have reconciled (often) and it is showing correct.  Whereas my Mobile app has about $300 more showing available.  This is with no entries grayed out (pending).  

Cloud...Quicken's cloud that it uses to sync between my PC and Mobile.  Your assumptions are correct.  All of my cloud comments are referencing Q's cloud.

I need to get in touch with my financial institution and ask few questions about this direct connection.  When I clicked the link, it says I need to create a new login (already have one), or call them.  I will call them tomorrow.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

I am guessing it is Express Web Connect as was commented previously.  I really do not know where it says it, but it is the system of Sync that Q uses when I log in...it goes out and retrieves the latest transactions.  As mentioned, what my bank is showing, Q is downloading.  So my Q on my PC is correct with what my bank shows.

I am confident in saying that the PC is correct because I have reconciled (often) and it is showing correct.  Whereas my Mobile app has about $300 more showing available.  This is with no entries grayed out (pending).  

Cloud...Quicken's cloud that it uses to sync between my PC and Mobile.  Your assumptions are correct.  All of my cloud comments are referencing Q's cloud.

I need to get in touch with my financial institution and ask few questions about this direct connection.  When I clicked the link, it says I need to create a new login (already have one), or call them.  I will call them tomorrow.

One more thought I had on the difference in balances.  Both the Desktop (Account Bar) and Quicken mobile allow you to select between various balances.  That might be possible source of the difference.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

P.S,  you can check what connection type your account is on the Desktop and opening the account list (Ctrl+A) and it is in the Transaction Download column.  If you don't see that column you can turn it on from the Options menu.

Also it is shown in the Online Services tab of the account details.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

I just got one of my accounts into the "Improve connection" state and I notice that with that link displayed it doesn't show what the connection type is on the accounts dialog.

But it does show it on the accounts details/Online Services tab.

Also I got the "generic" dialog that stated you "might" need a different login for Direct Connect, and you "might" need to call them to get it setup.

But calling them and finding out for sure is the best way to know.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I apologize, but I still have not changed the sync between Q and my bank.  However, I did reset the cloud since I think that is the problem is located.  As mentioned, Q on my computer is correct, just can't get it to Sync properly with Q Mobile.  Now that I did the reset, instead of being ~$300 more, I'm now about $800 under.  Either way, it does not match what I have on Q on my pc.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

I apologize, but I still have not changed the sync between Q and my bank.  However, I did reset the cloud since I think that is the problem is located.  As mentioned, Q on my computer is correct, just can't get it to Sync properly with Q Mobile.  Now that I did the reset, instead of being ~$300 more, I'm now about $800 under.  Either way, it does not match what I have on Q on my pc.  

Have you tried to reset the cloud data?

Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts -> Reset your cloud data
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, that path is exactly what I did.

However, Just went back in and it no longer gives me that option.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Craig said:

Yes, that path is exactly what I did.

However, Just went back in and it no longer gives me that option.

You can try this procedure:

First go to the "Cloud Accounts" and note the Cloud Account Name, if not changed it should be the same as your data file name.

Next create a new data file: File -> New Quicken File -> OK
    Sign in with the same Quicken Id, you can set Mobile data to off.
    Select Add Account and then just cancel out of the next dialog.

Go to: Edit -> Preferences -> Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID(x)

That will take you to a dialog where you can delete the cloud data for the original data file.

From there you can switch back to the original file and if you do a One Step Update, your cloud account will be recreated.

After that you may or may not have to setup Quicken Mobile again, but hopefully it will at least not show "Get Started" when it is already setup.
This discussion has been closed.