Quicken mistakenly says Southwest Airlines when actual payee is Southwest Women's Center

I've reported this to support previously but nothing has been done to correct it.  I get a charge from Southwest Airlines in Quicken but when I look at my bank records, the charge is correctly listed as Southwest Woman's Hospital.  This is very upsetting to see a large charge going to the "wrong" place in Quicken and should be an easy fix

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    There is an easy fix, and it is in your hands.

If you only use Quicken's "guesses" then that is exactly what you are going to get, a guess that can be wrong.

You need to take control and edit the renaming rules and memorized payees to get what you want.

Here is another long discussion on the subject, instead of just repeating it I will point you to it.
    Note this forum hides long discussions and you might have to select "View Previous" to see it all.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/food-and-delivery-delivery-vs-delivery
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I think in this case the culprit is the failure of the Quicken Suggested Payee list to provide the right name almost all of the time when a similar payee is presented in the register. 

The easy fix is to turn off using "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" in Edit>Preferences. You won't miss it at all since it's mostly unhelpful and causes what you are experiencing. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I think in this case the culprit is the failure of the Quicken Suggested Payee list to provide the right name almost all of the time when a similar payee is presented in the register. 

The easy fix is to turn off using "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" in Edit>Preferences. You won't miss it at all since it's mostly unhelpful and causes what you are experiencing. 

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do think if a person has set a renaming rule it will "win" over this setting.  But I certainly agree that it is an option that should be turned off, at least after using Quicken for a little while (Quicken's "guessing" can be useful for a person just starting out)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

BTW I personally turn off "Automatically categorize transactions".  That means when I get a new payee, the category comes up blank.  I prefer that to Quicken's "guess", it makes it stand out when I review transactions.  And then I go in and setup a renaming rule if needed and memorize the payee with the category I want.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

There is an easy fix, and it is in your hands.

If you only use Quicken's "guesses" then that is exactly what you are going to get, a guess that can be wrong.

You need to take control and edit the renaming rules and memorized payees to get what you want.

Here is another long discussion on the subject, instead of just repeating it I will point you to it.
    Note this forum hides long discussions and you might have to select "View Previous" to see it all.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/food-and-delivery-delivery-vs-delivery

Chris,
    I don't think you understand the issue.  The wrong name is showing up in Quicken when transactions are downloaded from the bank.  The bank has it correct but Quicken is changing names for this one account.  Your email did not say where I can find Quicken "guesses" so that doesn't help.  The thread you suggested is NOT my problem.  I don't use categories at all and don't need them.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Markus,
    Thank you for a clear and concise answer with a graphic.  Maybe this is what Chris was trying to say.  I'll give this a try and see if it corrects the issue.  I don't use categories and have never even know that Quicken was suggesting names.  It sure sees like there should be a note saying "Do you want to accept Quicken's name idea?" or something along those lines.  If it is doing it automatically and not letting you know, that sure seems like a big hole.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

So much for trying to just leverage another response, so I didn't have to go into yet again.  I think this one that should be put on the FAQ list (I did look for it but didn't see one).

You are correct Bob I should have pointed out the options that control Quicken making "guesses".  But even though "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" might be the problem, you really need to understand the "whole system".

First off I agree with you on that option needing a confirmation, they have it for renaming rules, and as you will see, that can also cause similar problems, especially if the confirmation is off.  If you would like you can suggest this to the developers by doing a NEW POST from above and marking it as an Idea.

I'm also going to give you a troubleshooting technic.  If you go to the register, and select the bottom gear icon, you can turn on the Downloaded Payee.  That will give you what the payee looked like from the financial institution.

The whole flow goes like this.

Provided you have "Use my existing renaming rule" selected, when Quicken gets a downloaded transaction it first checks the renaming rules to see if it has anyone that matches the payee (and it can look into the memo too). If it matches it changes the payee to what is in that renaming rule.  So if you have a "bad" renaming rule, it can also mess up the payee name.

You can use the renaming rules to rename how you like, but usually it is used to make payee names "uninformed".  Like changing "Safeway #34343" to "Safeway".  This is important for when it gets to the memorized payees.

If you didn't select that option or if none of the renaming rules match and the "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" option is on, Quicken will "guess" (look it up from a list on the server) trying to not only get the right payee name, but also to make it "uniformed" just like the example above for the renaming rules.

Now once it has the payee it is going to go into trying to figure out what the category should be.

If there is a payee in the Memorized Payee list that matches (exactly except for case) it will use category in that memorized payee for the transaction.

If the payee doesn't match one in the Memorized Payee list, and the option "Automatically categorize transactions" is on, Quicken will "guess" based on the payee/memo of what the category should be an fill it in.

Also I would like to point out that there is another set of options that control the use of memorized payees.

These control automatically creating memorized payees and using them.

You can find the Renaming Rules and Memorized Payee list on the Tools menu and also on the Payee field dropdown menu in the register.
This discussion has been closed.