Stock Sector Reporting

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken Premier ver R14.23.  I would like to add a column in my Investing Asset Allocation that details the "Sector" for stock equities.  First, I do not see a way to add any column that isn't already included.  Secondly, I do not see where the sector information is stored for equities.  Can stocks have their sector included in Quicken?  If so, where?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You can add the "Industry/Category" or any of the other columns to any of the Investing > Portfolio views by clicking on Customize, choosing the column name, and clicking Add. This data is populated for most stocks and mutual funds, but unfortunately not for ETFs.

You can also group the views by "Industry" but unfortunately except for individual stocks, it lumps everything into the "Unknown category"

Quicken certainly has some opportunities for improvement in this area!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hello Daniel, appreciate your question.

There are no columns listed called "sector" or "sector info" in Quicken.

The data from the brokerage does not provide the sector data either.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

You can add the "Industry/Category" or any of the other columns to any of the Investing > Portfolio views by clicking on Customize, choosing the column name, and clicking Add. This data is populated for most stocks and mutual funds, but unfortunately not for ETFs.

You can also group the views by "Industry" but unfortunately except for individual stocks, it lumps everything into the "Unknown category"

Quicken certainly has some opportunities for improvement in this area!

Thank you for the response.  I hadn't considered looking at the Views and this method does open some other options.  However, when I look at Industry/Category settings, they are definitely not the 11 sectors as defined for equity investors.

Agreed, for my use improvements would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you for your direct response.  I will continue to explore the use of Views as mentioned above.  Additionally, I may change the Investing goals to create a filter capability when running the Asset Allocation report (that is assuming that Investing goals can be customized and set for individual securities).

Thanks again.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yes you can set up customized investing goals to classify and group your securities, but it is only one goal per security, not percentages like asset classes.

Another option would be to use the Investing > Portfolio X-Ray which will show Morningstar's sector analysis of your securities.

Note that this ignores any securities that are not in Morningstar's database, and you sometimes need to re-select the accounts and securities and click on Refresh a couple of times to get it to work properly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks, I will investigate Portfolio X-Ray.
This discussion has been closed.