Exiting Quicken via the "Exit" Entry in the File Menu in QW2018 (Premier)

13»

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    BHAF said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Automatic backup doesn't work when using File > Exit (Build 26.1.16.2).

I am using Quicken Premier 2017, and I have set preferences to automatically backup every time I exit Quicken. This has worked for the last 6+ months on 2017, and worked for me on 2015 and earlier versions.

As of a few days ago, after my Quicken updated to R16.2 (Build 26.1.16.2), the program no longer runs an automatic backup when I exit using the File > Exit menu option. It does work if I close Quicken using the "X" in the upper right corner of the window.

This has been reported before in different threads (which is how I found the workaround), but those threads are closed and the problem has obviously not been resolved. In fact, the problem seems to have just been introduced to Quicken 2017.

I have a workaround, so I don't need answers. I'm just posting to report that this is still an issue and request that it be resolved.

Merging

Please reference the new conversation here: Merging
    -Quicken Tyka
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    BHAF said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Automatic backup doesn't work when using File > Exit (Build 26.1.16.2).

I am using Quicken Premier 2017, and I have set preferences to automatically backup every time I exit Quicken. This has worked for the last 6+ months on 2017, and worked for me on 2015 and earlier versions.

As of a few days ago, after my Quicken updated to R16.2 (Build 26.1.16.2), the program no longer runs an automatic backup when I exit using the File > Exit menu option. It does work if I close Quicken using the "X" in the upper right corner of the window.

This has been reported before in different threads (which is how I found the workaround), but those threads are closed and the problem has obviously not been resolved. In fact, the problem seems to have just been introduced to Quicken 2017.

I have a workaround, so I don't need answers. I'm just posting to report that this is still an issue and request that it be resolved.

Jerry, glad that you are able to get official Quicken response to your issues on this thread.

My pleadings and others for an official response on quicken-2017-update-r16.2 got no response and complaints about the non response have led to the shutdown of the thread by the moderators. 

Our previous thread have been asked to follow this thread but I am not sure if it's applicable since we are on Quicken 2017 and 2018 even though one superuser said it's using the same code base. 
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Quicken Team (Quicken Sarah).

I hear now of problems with exiting via the Menu (File>Exit) in nearly all flavors of Quicken 2017.
    Having experience as a programmer I know that sometimes we borrow routines (subroutines) to insert into other programs to save doing duplicate coding. Most likely this is the reason Q2018 and Q2017 are seeing liked problems with exiting.

So, I give you permission to utilize the Log Files and the sanitized data file or the sanitized data file I sent to Quicken Sangeetha via email to help the development team. I think you mentioned that the Ticket ID was (QWIN-12963).
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    Jerry said:

I hear now of problems with exiting via the Menu (File>Exit) in nearly all flavors of Quicken 2017.
    Having experience as a programmer I know that sometimes we borrow routines (subroutines) to insert into other programs to save doing duplicate coding. Most likely this is the reason Q2018 and Q2017 are seeing liked problems with exiting.

So, I give you permission to utilize the Log Files and the sanitized data file or the sanitized data file I sent to Quicken Sangeetha via email to help the development team. I think you mentioned that the Ticket ID was (QWIN-12963).

Thank you for the update Jerry! 
    I have been speaking the last hour with Juan from the office of the President(Eric Dunn). 

I have forwarded your info to him to follow up. 
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    Jerry said:

I would like some clarification here as to the reasonableness and decorum for these forums and what customers expectations are. 

Can someone please explain to me if these forums are user to user only as I have been told by a Superuser Greg the Geek or can we expect Quicken reps like Sarah to respond? 

I have seen Quicken reps respond in various posts and just assumed that that this is a support forum and Quicken reps will chime in and help answer questions. 

The reason I am asking is I started the thread Quicken 2017 R16.2 as we had the same File->Exit issue. But unlike this thread, we had no official Quicken rep response except some responses from helpful and kind Superusers. 

Many Quicken 2017 users are experiencing the same problem. I have asked for an official Quicken response as to what the problem is as I had not been aware of this thread until today when Tyka closed our thread and referred us here. But this is a Quicken 2018 thread. 

My complaints to Quicken for non response from Quicken on our thread lead to removal of my posts and threat to ban me. 

That's the reason I escalated this to the President's office and Juan was kind enough to respond to my message within the hour on a Sunday. I forwarded Juan all my posts that was removed and the reason stated by the moderators. 

I have been a Quicken customer for over 25 years and love Quicken and wants to see it continue to grow and improve. And it will only do that if Quicken is humble enough to take and receive constructive criticims and feedback. 

But if this is to be a useful forum, we need to know he rules clearly and it has to be fairly moderated. 

Moderators are Quicken employees. You have access to all the users info email and phone number. If you have any issue with my complaint, you could have easily reached out privately and communicated. I have expressed the same complaints to the President's office. 
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jerry said:

Here is a Post that probably best describes what you are seeking:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-community-tips-and-tricks.

Take note of the Who's Who Section.
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    Jerry said:

Thanks Jerry!
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Jerry said:

Hello Turnando,

My name is Sarah and I am an official representative of the Quicken Support Team and Moderator for the Quicken Community.  We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and I'd like to take a few moments to address those today.

The Quicken Community is primarily a User to User Support Forum.  It is moderated by a small group of Quicken Employee's who help in the Community when and where we can, however, our primary role is to keep the Community a clean, fun place for all.

To that end, we have a set of Community Guidelines that, if not followed, can result in the edit or removal of comments that violate those Guidelines, in cases of repeated offenses, a ban from the Community is possible.  

The article provided by @Jerry for tips and tricks of Community is great but I would also recommend, if you haven't already, taking a moment to review the full Guidelines, found at https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-community-participation-guidelines.

In regard to the question asked about exiting via the "x" button in the top right corner of Quicken, there should be no issues caused by closing the program in this manner.  The difference in the two commands is, closing a program via the File > Exit option is creating the close command directly in the software, this goes for any piece of software installed on a Microsoft OS.  The "x" button creates the command in the Microsoft OS which then communicates it to the software and initiates the close.  Neither option is wrong or right, the difference is in how the OS talks to the software.

I also attempted to replicate the freezing behavior in my copy of Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager R16.2 and while I did experience a freeze once, after ending Quicken and re-opening, I cannot duplicate the freeze again.

May I ask, do you have the preference to create a manual back-up or sync to the Quicken Cloud when exiting Quicken set?  If so, when selecting to close Quicken via the File > Exit menu, do you receive a prompt to create a back-up and/or run the sync?

I hope this information is beneficial and please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the Community and the role of the Moderators.  

Thank you,

Sarah
  • MikeMike Member
    edited June 2018
    Jerry said:

I just updated to 2017 Premier R16.2.  The automatic backup via File > Exit does not occur.  How has this conversation been going on for 6 months and the problem still is not fixed?  As a software developer, I'm flummoxed when a company drags their feet on a critical bug.  Sure, hitting X is a workaround, but I don't like to close apps with the X.  I can't wait to inform my spouse of another quirk of Quicken.
  • kentmonkentmon Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled EXIT option no longer works Q2017.

On June 28, 2018 I installed the latest patch to Quicken Premier 2017.  Today, June 29, 2018 my husband discovered that the EXIT option under FILE no longer works.  The window goes blank and Quicken is reported as NOT RESPONDING via Task Manager.  The only means we have found to stop Quicken is via Task Manager.  I always use the X in the upper right hand corner to exit Quicken and that still works.  Is anyone else seeing this problem????  All data is fine and we can enter new entries.  I have yet to check all functions.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jerry said:

Hi @ Jerry ,

File > Exit works file with Quicken 2017 Home & Business R 16.2 and I just tried it.
    I don't have Automatic Backups being used. I do Manual Backups only. Besides Automatic Backups aren't Backups, just a copy of the Data File, because when you lose the Hard Drive, you lost all information.
    edited June 2018
    kentmon said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled EXIT option no longer works Q2017.

On June 28, 2018 I installed the latest patch to Quicken Premier 2017.  Today, June 29, 2018 my husband discovered that the EXIT option under FILE no longer works.  The window goes blank and Quicken is reported as NOT RESPONDING via Task Manager.  The only means we have found to stop Quicken is via Task Manager.  I always use the X in the upper right hand corner to exit Quicken and that still works.  Is anyone else seeing this problem????  All data is fine and we can enter new entries.  I have yet to check all functions.

Hi @ kentmon ,

Turn off Automatic Backups and it works.

Just remember to do a Manual Backup, instead.
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    kentmon said:

Unfortunately, turning off Auto Backups didn't work for me. 

Apparently this hanging issue on file->exit is not affecting all users. 

This issue doesn't affect my newer files(2013 and 2013) but hangs for my older files(2010, 2000, 1993). 

I have a case open with the Quicken PD team and has sent them my datafile. 

I will post an update here if they find a resolution or Quicken may just have a new patch that fixes the problem. 

I believe Jerry who started the thread reported that this issue have been resolved for Quicken 2018. 

BTW, I am running H+B Quicken 2017 on Windows 10 with the latest 1803 version. 
    edited June 2018
    kentmon said:

Hi @ Turnando Fuad ,

Do you regularly use a Cleaner program, such as Glary Utilities from: https://www.glarysoft.com/
    and Ccleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner?

If not, download, install and run them.

I am not having problems with exiting Quicken 2017 Home & Business R 16.2 in Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 17134.137 And I regularly use those programs without problems.

I also use Acronis True Image on my computer and regularly do a Full Backup Image every time a new Build Increase gets installed. So I can always go back.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

I don't mess with Windows System Restore.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    FWIW, I have Quicken H&B 2017 R16.2 running on Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. I have only 1 data file that goes back to 1985. Until the R16.2 update, File > Exit worked fine for me. Now clicking the X does the same thing and Quicken has yet to hang.

I don't use any of the utilities posted by thecreator.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    kentmon said:

I didn't have the file->exit problem until R16.2. I am having no problems with R15.15 and will just wait to see what Quicken says. 
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018

FWIW, I have Quicken H&B 2017 R16.2 running on Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. I have only 1 data file that goes back to 1985. Until the R16.2 update, File > Exit worked fine for me. Now clicking the X does the same thing and Quicken has yet to hang.

I don't use any of the utilities posted by thecreator.

Wow 1985! Thats one old timer :-)
  • Ed WagnerEd Wagner Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Deluxe Version R17.4 Users - Watch your automatic backups.

My Windows 10 Home Version was running slow so I rebuilt my system. I installed my 2016 Quicken DVD version and ran the latest Mondo patch from Quicken. While checking that everything was OK I found that only one automatic backup was being created. So I reinstalled the software and applied the Mondo patch, ran the Quicken software and only the first backup copy was created. I had my number of executions set at 5, and I must have executed the Quicken program 10 times, but no backup was created.  I contracted Quicken chat and they advised to run the Quicken Clean Package witch deletes the software and all the registry entries. This procedure did nothing to correct the problem. I chatted with Mary from Quicken support and she told me to use the "X" in the upper right hand corner to exit the program. This procedure seams to work. My Software on the DVD disk has worked for years, but be careful with the Mondo patch...it must have an error in the software.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ed Wagner said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Deluxe Version R17.4 Users - Watch your automatic backups.

My Windows 10 Home Version was running slow so I rebuilt my system. I installed my 2016 Quicken DVD version and ran the latest Mondo patch from Quicken. While checking that everything was OK I found that only one automatic backup was being created. So I reinstalled the software and applied the Mondo patch, ran the Quicken software and only the first backup copy was created. I had my number of executions set at 5, and I must have executed the Quicken program 10 times, but no backup was created.  I contracted Quicken chat and they advised to run the Quicken Clean Package witch deletes the software and all the registry entries. This procedure did nothing to correct the problem. I chatted with Mary from Quicken support and she told me to use the "X" in the upper right hand corner to exit the program. This procedure seams to work. My Software on the DVD disk has worked for years, but be careful with the Mondo patch...it must have an error in the software.

Hey Ed,

Thank you for taking the time to come to the community to report this issue.

I have moved you to the main thread for this topic so we can track the users that are currently experiencing this issue where select File and Exit doesn't prompt a back up.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • edited October 2018
    Ed Wagner said:

Unf** believable!  File-exit won't work for months, and it's not fixed.  Quicken is not getting another $ from me for new versions - I will find something else if they disable my Q2017.    I wasted hours on this stupid problem.
  • edited October 2018
    Jerry said:

Is this a problem with Windows 10 only
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ed Wagner said:

Works fine for me.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ed Wagner said:

Me too. 
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.