need help cleaning up, reconciling, untangling, investment & retirement accts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 2019, Home, Business & Rental Property

In my Quicken, I have a Vanguard brokerage acct and a separate Vanguard SEP-IRA acct, supposed to be set up exactly as Vanguard has it online, but...

...in Quicken, the brokerage acct includes investments (which are correct) and then some of the SEP-IRA, with incorrect # of shares, and then in the other Quicken separate SEP-IRA acct, there is an incorrect # of shares of the current holding, and also a bunch shares from a previous holding that don't belong there any more

Everything in Quicken would be correct if it exactly matched what I have with Vanguard: 
1) the Vanguard brokerage account in Quicken did not include any of the holding of the current SEP-IRA
2) the Vanguard SEP-IRA account had the correct # of shares of the current holding, and no shares of the previous holding

I'm thinking about deleting holdings and removing shares of all SEP-IRA in both areas, then downloading the SEP-IRA info from Vanguard into Quicken, but I want to avoid making a complicated situation worse,

any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you!!

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    First off let me say if you delete the transactions they will not download again into the same account.  Also if you create a new account and download the transactions you might not get the whole history and as such get placeholders that you will have to fix up.

My question to you is if you total the shares of the SEP-IRA that are in brokerage account and the ones that are in the SEP-IRA account, will that come out to being the right amount of shares that should be in the SEP-IRA account?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for your reply!

That's an important detail I omitted.
    I did add the shares, and the total is much more than the actual amount.

I can upload a screenshot of the issue if that would help clarify it

Thanks QPW!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Kelly said:

Thanks QPW!

The reason I asked is because Quicken 2019 has a new feature where you can move transactions from one account to another.

So if the real problem is that the shares/transactions where just split up in two accounts, then just moving the transactions from the brokerage account might fix things.

To give it a try first backup and then go to the brokerage account and select the gear icon.  You will see a Move Transactions menu item there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    when I login on Vanguard, it shows the SEP-IRA broken out, separate from the brokerage account

In Quicken, in the Vanguard brokerage acct, it shows all the holdings listed,
    the brokerage investment holdings and SEP-IRA holdings, which would be OK if the # of shares was correct, and I suppose all the past activity.  All the investment holdings show correct # of shares

It gets complicated too, because in 2016 there was an exchange in share class...

So I attached two screenshots.  The first one is the brokerage acct.

and the second is the separate SEP-IRA
    What if all this could be moved into the brokerage acct
    and then adjust the share balance?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Kelly said:

Thanks QPW!

thanks!
    I didn't see your reply until after I sent the screenshots
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Kelly said:

when I login on Vanguard, it shows the SEP-IRA broken out, separate from the brokerage account

the brokerage investment holdings and SEP-IRA holdings, which would be OK if the # of shares was correct, and I suppose all the past activity.  All the investment holdings show correct # of shares

It gets complicated too, because in 2016 there was an exchange in share class...

Are the new transactions for the SEP-IRA going into the right account?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Kelly said:

Thanks QPW!

And I didn't see this reply, before I asked if the new transactions were going in to the SEP-IRA account.  :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Kelly said:

I believe the second problem with the different share type can be handled with the Mutual Fund Conversion action.  But it has been a long time since I did this myself (I use Vanguard myself) and I'm not 100% sure on that one.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Kelly said:

Thanks QPW!

Got it!
    I moved the transactions and then updated the share balance
    Thank you!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, it appears the new transactions for the SEP-IRA are going into the right account.
    If future transactions don't go into the right account, then I'll move them to where they belong.
    Thank you QPW for your help with this!  The 'move transactions' feature worked perfectly
This discussion has been closed.