WIN 2018 I already have a Portfolio populated. I want to add new investments segregated by Asset Cl

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Adding new investment in a sperate Style class, Bond, EFT, Large ,Medium. and so on. There is a way to do that when setting up a new Account, and it only gives you a minimum assortment. I download my investments through Fidelity. Problem here They do not group by asset class. One line could be a EFT and the next a Bond, etc

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You must be referring to using Fidelity as your Brokerage account - vs each Mutual Fund acct.
    I don't think I recall seeing anything related to Asset Class during an account setup ?
    Lots of moving pieces here - so not sure what you are wanting or expecting to see....
    Also - if you have any ETFs - they might actually have multiple asset classes as per the underlying mutual funds.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Instructions shown in Chapter 10 of the in the 2010 Guide. "Entering Your Investment Transactions".But it shows doing that as new entries when setting up a new account. You are right on ETF. How would you handle if you want to list ETF's
    Thanks
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    So you have a brokerage account at Fidelity, and within that account you would like to see your securities grouped in some way. Do you want the grouping to be by Asset Class (large cap stock, small cap stock, International stock, US bond, global bond, etc) or by asset type (stock, bond, mutual fund, etc)?

Note that as ps56k notes, a mutual fund or ETF can hold a mixture of asset classes.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Using Fidelity's Monthly Investment Report. They use "Stock Funds", "Bond Funds", "Short-term Funds" and" Exchange Traded Products" groupings. I cannot find any where were I can edit any investment to group like this or ant other grouping titles..

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I guess I'm not sure what you want to happen - or expect to happen.
    I don't have a Quicken 2010 GUIDE - so again, not sure what instructions you are reading, and where or how they apply to having a Brokerage Account or how each holding should be displayed based upon it's Asset Class....

Yeah - the Fidelity statement - or any brokerage statement - might break it down, because they know....

Within Quicken - you can see and/or edit any Security Symbol - and define it's Asset Class.  However, other than the Asset Class Report - the normal portfolio views don't split out those attributes like you are seeing on your Fidelity Statement...

--> Top menu --> Tools --> Security List -->
    pick and click security --> at top - Edit Security Details ---> Asset Class

This is usually downloaded when you add the Security,
    but can also be downloaded later..
    ---> at top - next to Edit Security Details --> is Update --> Download Asset Classes
    or - as shown below, you can checkmark the "download asset class info" box

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ps56k said:

I guess I'm not sure what you want to happen - or expect to happen.
    I don't have a Quicken 2010 GUIDE - so again, not sure what instructions you are reading, and where or how they apply to having a Brokerage Account or how each holding should be displayed based upon it's Asset Class....

Yeah - the Fidelity statement - or any brokerage statement - might break it down, because they know....

Within Quicken - you can see and/or edit any Security Symbol - and define it's Asset Class.  However, other than the Asset Class Report - the normal portfolio views don't split out those attributes like you are seeing on your Fidelity Statement...

--> Top menu --> Tools --> Security List -->
    pick and click security --> at top - Edit Security Details ---> Asset Class

This is usually downloaded when you add the Security,
    but can also be downloaded later..
    ---> at top - next to Edit Security Details --> is Update --> Download Asset Classes
    or - as shown below, you can checkmark the "download asset class info" box

@Ben -- using the pic above from ps56k, you can edit the Type fields to 8 or 9 different types. Those can cover the number of cases you cited, but does not offer a great deal of breadth. For example, if you know you are not going to use the CD type, you could change that to Bond Fund. Various reports and views can use Security type as a grouping tool.

That said, I would be very cautious about going that route. There can be unintended consequences beyond my ability to explain. Again an example ... As is, your Bond Fund is likely typed as a mutual fund and thus gets Morningstar info downloaded about that fund. If you change the CD type to read Bond Fund and type your fund that way, you will lose that connection of the fund to the Morningstar system info.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Ben,

Another way to accomplish what you are looking for would be to use each security's "Investing Goal" field. You access this by going to the Security Detail view and clicking on "Edit Security details" then "Other info". The default choices for this are General and Retirement, but you can define any choices you want, so you could use Fidelity's categories.

Once you have set these, you can group the Investing > Portfolio views by Investing Goal.

I don't find this type of grouping particularly useful, but to each his own.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Jim; Fidelity supports my picks so that I am getting some ETF,s in my STOCK I would like to see those broken out.
    Thanks any way
  • Jim_Harman
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ben Suazo said:

Jim; Fidelity supports my picks so that I am getting some ETF,s in my STOCK I would like to see those broken out.
    Thanks any way

What do you mean by "Fidelity supports my picks?"

You can use the method I outlined to set up whatever grouping scheme you want for your securities, but you will have assign the groups manually, Quicken or Fidelity won't do it for you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ben Suazo said:

Thanks any way

Understand, Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.