can't open quicken after it did an update

I can't get Quicken to start.  When I started it an update was done and now when I try to start it it flashes and nothing happens.  This is frustrating not having phone support.  If there is phone support what is the number?

Comments

• Mark A MckeeMark A Mckee Member
    edited August 2018
    When I did a manual update from the website it tells me I am up to date and to watch for updates.  Still won't start up.

• Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Details for contacting official Quicken support are here:

https://www.quicken.com/support#conta...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R22.12 on Windows 10 Pro v1903
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops
    at startup?

Please
    try this:

With
    Quicken closed, use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, e.g., from Qdata.QDF to
    QdataX.QDF
    Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having
    done that start Quicken as usual.

If
    Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply
    load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has
    options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point
      without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu
        bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file
        and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to
      start at all,
      • When done, reboot your
        computer and then reinstall Quicken from your CD or saved downloaded
        installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch
        release level.

edited October 2018
    I have done all these things including uninstalling and reinstalling.  Still did not work.  Quicken agent had me contact microsoft and they had me restore to a backup point prior to the last time I was able to get in.  After doing the restore not only would Quicken not start but Chrome would not work either.  Looking at alternatives to Quicken at this point.  I have used it for years and paid for new versions every year.  Have never been more frustrated than what I am right now.  Wish I could go back to 2017 version.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Why can't you go back to 2017?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited August 2018
    I doubt the files are backward compatible.  I may do it anyway and just reenter everything.  I will check to see if I still have an old backup from that far back.  I bought 2018 shortly after it came out.  So I have been using it for several months.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Quicken 2016, 2017 & 2018 data file are all compatible. You can open your 2018 file with 2017.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited August 2018
    I did not know that.  I will try.  Thanks!
  • Laura MaloneyLaura Maloney Member
    edited September 2018
    Did you ever find a solution? I am having same trouble and have uninstalled with no luck... I run 2016.

• Jose A RubioJose A Rubio Member
    edited October 2018

I have done all these things including uninstalling and reinstalling.  Still did not work.  Quicken agent had me contact microsoft and they had me restore to a backup point prior to the last time I was able to get in.  After doing the restore not only would Quicken not start but Chrome would not work either.  Looking at alternatives to Quicken at this point.  I have used it for years and paid for new versions every year.  Have never been more frustrated than what I am right now.  Wish I could go back to 2017 version.

Same issue here.  Have you been able to have it fixed?
    edited October 2018
    I am having the same issue as Mark A Mckee (sorry to put you on the spot).  They told me that I needed to talk to microsoft.  Have you guys had any luck?  Thanks.
    edited October 2018
    I am having the same issue as Mark A Mckee (sorry to put you on the spot).  They told me that I needed to talk to microsoft.  Have you guys had any luck?  Thanks.
  • edited October 2018
    I'm having the same issue
    !

edited October 2018

After many hours with Microsoft the problem was resolved by performing a tremendous number of Window updates. I run Parallels on my Mac just for Quicken and my computer was not updating automatically. I also had to update my Parallels. Not sure if this will help you. I would call Microsoft and plan on staying awhile :(
    edited October 2018
    After many hours with Microsoft the problem was resolved by performing a tremendous number of Window updates. I run Parallels on my Mac just for Quicken and my computer was not updating automatically. I also had to update my Parallels. Not sure if this will help you. I would call Microsoft and plan on staying awhile :(
    edited October 2018

I did a different profile on my computer and it worked perfectly.  Thanks for your information though.  Glad your issue was soved.  Cheers...
This discussion has been closed.