Adding a new security to my portfolio

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Many years ago I was awarded stock shares from a company for being a loyal customer.  It is entered as no cost to me.  I have since purchased more of the same shares but can't figure out how to add to the list.  I click on "add security" but nothing happens.  At one time I got a message that I already had that security installed.  I tried make a small change to the name, but left the symbol as is, but it still doesn't work.  I'm using Quicken Primier 2017 for Windows and on Win 10.l  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Adding a security doesn't add it to the portfolio unless you are just adding it on the watch list.
    You normally need to own shares for the security to appear on the portfolio view.

What you would do is enter (or download if if the account is setup for downloading of transactions) a buy into the an investment account for that security.

After that is done if it still doesn't show up on the portfolio view select Customize and make sure both the account and the security are selected.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm confused....
    So.... where are these shares being held - at least the ones you recently purchased ?
    Is it a private company shares,
    or a public company listed on a stock exchange ?

You would need to setup - within Quicken - a way to track the existence of all these shares...
    - create an account ---> add the security ---> add shares to the account -

If a private company - then you need to manually create everything.
    If a public compny - then you should be able to do everything via Quicken downloading from your brokerage account... if a normal brokerage company

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ps56k said:

I'm confused....
    So.... where are these shares being held - at least the ones you recently purchased ?

You would need to setup - within Quicken - a way to track the existence of all these shares...

If a public compny - then you should be able to do everything via Quicken downloading from your brokerage account... if a normal brokerage company

Yeah I was confused by the question too, and just took a stab at the answer.

And here is a bit more a stab at it.
    If you get shares at no cost, you most likely want to use the "Add - Shares Added" transaction.
    If you get shares that you bought you most likely want to use the "Buy - Shares Bought".

You will find bought of these in the the investment register by selecting the Enter Transactions button.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options

What or where is the difference outlined between "premium upport" vs ... non -
    Is it a line item on the Quicken version comparison product matrix ?
    ---- ahhh ----

Premium Support
    • FREE with your purchase of Quicken Premier or higher! Learn more

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ps56k said:

I'm confused....

I finally found the right combination of clicks.  Got the new stuff entered and it looks good.  Thanks to all.
This discussion has been closed.