Customize budget to permit date range changes (53 Legacy Votes)

I like to export the budget as a summary variance report each month. Unfortunately, if I do not do it on the exact last day of the month, the budget date changes to the next month and I cannot export the previous month's variance data.

I suggest that there be a customizing feature added to the budget spreadsheet that will permit a change to the date range of the budget month. I am using Quicken 2017 for Mac so I do not know if this applies to Windows.
Tagged:
12 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by Development and added to the roadmap for future implementation. At this time there is no ETA on when this functionality will be available. CTP-714/QMAC-18692

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Paige
    Paige Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QMac 2017: Year-to-date / specific time frame Budget Variance Report or Display.

I have read several posts about the lack of a reasonable, basic budget variance report or view in Quicken 2017 Mac.  Although workarounds have been suggested, it does seem unreasonable that this software does not allow a specific time frame report - such as year-to-date, quarter-to-date or any specified time frame.  This has been going on for years.  Why do thousands of users to have to export and write their own report in excel, when Quicken could write it once and have it available to everyone?  I would also like to see the 1-month view on the Budget tab to have a date range as well, in order to have that nice bar line view for different date ranges instead of only one specific month.  I don't know how to get support for this suggestion out there for people to vote on.  I see voting capability on some posts, but I don't know how they get there.
  • Helen Mills
    Helen Mills Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Paige - I have posted this request numerous times myself but I, too, find the website not very user friendly when it comes to getting people to vote.  One thing I can tell you about is to e-mail the "Office of the President" which your complaint or question.   You can find that page a thttps://www.quicken.com/about-us/team and then look for the link that says e-mail.  I have used this several times when I've had problems with quicken budget or downloading and they usually call you back within a few hours.  Good luck.
  • Helen Mills
    Helen Mills Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

I totally agree with the need for this and have voted.  We can't all be at our computers exactly on the last day of the month!  Seems to me it should be a very easy fix.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I see the best way to do this is to be able to click on the month in the top row and have that be the month thru which budget data is shown and calculated otherwise the budget on makes sense on one day of each month.  I get paid in the last week of the month so up to that date the summary make no sense.  Please make this possible as it will solve more than one of the requests being made.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2020
    When viewing the main budget screen (not the "Edit Budget" view), I would like to be able to set the specific dates for displaying how I'm doing on my budget.  Right now, I can only choose Year-to-Date or Entire Budget Year totals.  On the first of the month, for example, I want to be able to set the dates from the beginning of the year to the last day of the previous month, so I can see how I was doing as of the end of the month.  If I look on the first of the month, the year-to-date picture is misleading.  Can we please have the ability to set the dates we want to see?  Thank you.
  • revmatt70
    revmatt70 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I totally agree.  This is most frustrating that I can only see how well my budget is working by month or year-to-today's date.  I would like to know when May is over how I have done January till May 31.  Yet if today is not May 31, it is impossible to ever see such a budget - actual comparison.  PLEASE, make a place to edit budget date!!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

The place to compare your actuals to your budget is in a Budget report (such as Reports > Spending > Current Budget).

You can choose any date range you like there.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• revmatt70
    revmatt70 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

From C. D. Bales:

The place to compare your actuals to your budget is in a Budget report (such as Reports > Spending > Current Budget).

I don't see the ability to do this in Quicken for Macs.  There is no option for Current Budget under Spending Reports.  If I am missing something, please explain further.  Regardless, I would like to see on the Budget tab a place to put any date including day, month, and year.
  • Jim Hannah
    Jim Hannah Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

From C. D. Bales:

This has been a problem for more than two years(I complained about Quicken for Mac 2017 then) on the Mac.  [removed - rant/off-topic]
  • Helen Mills
    Helen Mills Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

my comment above is 8 months old and still no fix for this seemingly simple task.  Come on Quicken - let's do this!
  • Alfa13
    Alfa13 Member ✭✭
    This feature is really necessary and it does appear like a simple fix. I'm using Quicken 18 and this feature has not been picked up!
    BTW where's the vote icon?  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Alfa13 said:
    BTW where's the vote icon?  
    Since Quicken moved to the current platform for this forum n February, you can find the Vote icon at the bottom of the first post in the thread. It's a blue box with a number, and under that is a very small triangle; click on the triangle, wait a half second, and you should see the vote total increase, and the triangle changes from gray to black. (Clicking the triangle again will remove your vote.)

Not great design, in my opinion, but once you know how to use it, it's easy enough. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jrweber2
    jrweber2 Member
    I need to be able to customize the date range in the first column of the Budget tab, rather than just pick from the two options offered.  E.g., I would like a Year-to-End-of-Current-Month option.  Ideally, the start and end dates would be totally pickable fields.  Even if they are limited to the current year, being allowed flexibility for the consolidation range in the first column would be a tremendous help. It would also be nice if the spreadsheet could show by Quarter instead of only by Month. 
  • JohnMartiJ
    JohnMartiJ Member ✭✭
    I would like to be able to show how I'm doing on my budget as of a date. Can't seem to do that now. Instead it only shows the year to date budget as of the current date.

For example, let's say today is July 4th. I want to see my year to date budget results as of the end of last month, June 30th -- not as of July 4th.

How do I do that? It should be simple to do, but I can't find anything
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @JohnMartiJ

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to choose the date range when viewing the budget.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • JohnMartiJ
    JohnMartiJ Member ✭✭
    This should be quite easy to do and would be very, very valuable. the current limitation is very frustrating and undermines the value of the budget features.

I'm surprised it's not be done earlier.

Thanks
  • michaelweinberg
    michaelweinberg Member ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more. I can't believe this would take more than minimal programming time to effectuate and would be extremely useful. If we can't be allowed to pick a date range, please let us just see the budget results from the beginning of the year through the last day of the previous month. (It now shows the results from the beginning of the year to the end of the current month, which, at least to me, is useless.)
  • Randy Mac
    Randy Mac Member ✭✭
    Create option for a monthly budget report that tracks expenses and income on a monthly basis throughout the year by expense category and income by category, but make the end date of the current month status be the end of the month rather than the day of the month when report is viewed. My deposits are made once a month and I schedule payments throughout the month as they are scheduled through my bank. I want to manage expenses and budget against what is booked and what is planned for later payment.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Randy Mac

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add this ability, this idea has been marked as "Planned." However, there no ETA available at this time..

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • dmwalker
    dmwalker Member
    edited November 2020
    have a report created that is like a cash flow comparison but with the information included from your budget. ie a report to see the actual and budgeted figures and be able to compare year to date current against previous year to date or even quarters.