How do i update and save new Portfolio views

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 2016 R10 (25.1.10.1)

Under the investing tab, there are 2 buttons: Portfolio and Allocations. My question refers to the portfolio section.

Under the show dropdown menu, there are lots of various views that can be used to look at your securities in various ways. Some are standard versions. Some are versions I have created in prior versions.

PROBLEM #1: I do not see a way to delete any old views that I no longer want/need. Some were tests that I never completed.

PROBLEM #2: There is one standard view "Value" that I use all the time. One of the columns I want to remove (Return % YTD). The system lets me remove it, but once I exit from Quicken and sign back in, the column reappears.

PROBLEM #3: I have taken one of my old "test" views and customized it for my watch list. After setting it all up, it disappeared after I signed back into Quicken.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Problem 1:  You cannot delete views, but you can reset them - Customize, Reset View Button.  I believe (but have not confirmed) that will revert all the columns and the view name to their original settings - Custom 3, etc.  What exactly that does for 'old' customizations from many versions ago, I cannot say specifically, so you should create a backup file to have a good restore point before testing this process out.  All in all, the investment modules have not changed greatly over the years, so I think you will be OK with the reset option.  

Problem 2 & 3:  Should not be occurring.  Except for abnormal terminations, the customizations from prior visits have always been retained.  Perhaps a program reinstall would change your observed behavior, but I would explore and document further before going that route.  The view specifications should be contained in your data file. so as long as that is getting fully updated, the view settings should too.   

HTH
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I am experiencing similar difficulties in Quicken 2015 Premier. 

I have made multiple attempts to "customize" the view of my Investment Portfolio.  However, after logging-off, the desired customized views automatically revert to the default view.  As such, I am continually required to update my desired "customized" view each time I log-in.

Is there a simple "save" function that I am overlooking ... or is there a more serious flaw in the Quicken programming?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Dale, the Portfolio view in the Investing tab is customizable and the customizations are saved so you don't have to keep setting them.

The Holdings view in an Investment account's Account Overview is also customizable, however the customizations are NOT saved.

Be sure you are using the Portfolio and not Holdings when you make your customizations. Investing tab, Portfolio view.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you very much for your feedback.

Yes ... I am using the Portfolio view.  Another SuperUser (see above) has suggested a Quicken program reinstall.  However, I view that as a last resort.

As an FYI ... I am using Quicken 2015 Premier ... not Quicken 2017.

Thanks again for your feedback!
  • Craig Nastanski
    Craig Nastanski Member
    edited January 2017
    I am having the same problem ... I have made multiple attempts to "customize" the view of my Investment Portfolio.  However, after logging-off, the desired customized views automatically revert to the default view.  As such, I am continually required to update my desired "customized" view each time I log-in.  I have had these investment views for many many years and this problem just started happening today.  I have 9 custom views.  If I try to rename one of the views or create a new view all the changes are lost when I exit Quicken.   All my views were reset all of a sudden and they reset every time I start Quicken.  If I create a new copy of the Quicken data file and try to save to that one it doesn't help.  I have Quicken 2016 R10.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I have the same problem. When I change a Custom View, it will not be saved after exiting Quicken and then returning to Quicken. This happened in Quicken Premier R11 and is still happening in Quicken Premier R12 (25.1.12.2). However, there is a work around that one can try and it worked for me. If you do a Quicken backup, the changes will "take" so that if you exit Quicken and return, the changes are still there. Obviously, one should not have to do this to make the changes stick. THIS  IS A BUG IN QUICKEN and the program should be fixed!!!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Unfortunately, Quicken has still not fixed the problem, at least in Quicken 2016 R18.4 . Does anyone know if the latest version of Quicken has fixed this problem? The work around I mentioned a year ago does fix it. Obviously, Portfolio views must not be a big deal for most users, but I do customize my views. My post a year ago pointed out to get a customized view to stick (if you have the same problem as me), is to do a backup. Then it sticks. It's kind of funny that I had forgotten my own solution when I tried to setup a customized portfolio view and it wouldn't be there after closing and opening Quicken. I came back to this site and had to read my own post to find the temporary solution. I guess Quicken support did not care enough to fix this problem in over two years. I will have to reconsider using Quicken when my subscription expires. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It is certainly odd that doing a backup gets the settings to "stick"

It's a good practice to do a backup each time you exit anyway. That way, the worst that can happen if your computer dies or your data file becomes unusable is that you lose one session's worth of data entry.

You can make this reasonably painless by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup, checking "Manual backup reminder", and setting the reminder interval to 1.

Note also I don't see this problem with QWin 2019 - changes to the profile views are saved whether or not I do a backup.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thank you for your response. I too thought it was odd but it is absolutely true with Quicken 2016. I can revise a portfolio view (even after doing a reset) and if I exit Quicken and then open it up again, any changes made are lost. The view is back to where it was before I made any changes. However, if I do a Quicken Backup before exiting, the changes are made permanent. Also, thank you for your suggestion to add a backup reminder and also noting that the problem does not appear to be extended to the latest version of Quicken. I will probably obtain a subscription once my license expires so it's good to know they have probably addressed that particular bug. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thank you for your response. I too thought it was odd but it is absolutely true with Quicken 2016. I can revise a portfolio view (even after doing a reset) and if I exit Quicken and then open it up again, any changes made are lost. The view is back to where it was before I made any changes. However, if I do a Quicken Backup before exiting, the changes are made permanent. Also, thank you for your suggestion to add a backup reminder and also noting that the problem does not appear to be extended to the latest version of Quicken. I will probably obtain a subscription once my license expires so it's good to know they have probably addressed that particular bug. 

But since it is a bug and 2016 is still a supported version, Quicken address this.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mshiggins
    edited October 2018

From C. D. Bales:

"Unfortunately, Quicken has still not fixed the problem, at least in Quicken 2016 R18.4".

I assume you are referring to Investing > Portfolio.

I don't see where you have provided any verifiable evidence that your problem is a Quicken problem.

Nor have you provided information about what specific customization(s) you made.

I just customized a Portfolio view in my Q2016 R18.4 test file, to add a column to the View (to my "Show" choice); exited Quicken with no backup; and restarted Quicken.

My customization was retained.

Then I restarted Quicken and removed a different column from that same Portfolio View; exited Quicken with no backup, and restarted Quicken.

Again; my customization was retained.

I see no evidence that you tested by creating a New Quicken file and trying to reproduce the problem there. While not necessarily conclusive; if the problem does not appear in the New file, it can indicate that there is something wrong with your existing file.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

There are multiple people that reported this problem so I am not sure how much evidence you need. Obviously, not every user experienced it. It probably does have something to do with our data files. Maybe it manifests itself after creating so many custom views. Maybe it has to do with the size of our data files. Maybe it is due to something else. The bottom line is it should not happen and it wasted a lot of my time (and other user's time from the comments in this thread). On the other hand, I have a work around. In the mean time, if I decide to upgrade to the new subscription plan and the problem continues to exist, I will work with Quicken support to try and get to the bottom of it. 
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2018

Four users reporting the issue over the last two years is a mighty small subset.

These odd something-won't-save issues can be caused by permission issues as well as data issues.

What is your file name and where are you storing the file?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Filename is Personal2016Q and it's stored in a normal user directory on the C: drive. There is nothing special about either the filename or file location and file permissions have never been directly modified. Four users with the problem identified in the thread is probably just a subset of users- the users that made the effort to find a solution to the problem or at least report it. There are probably others out there.  I appreciate your attempt at helping and solving this problem but it's likely not worth your time or mine. As I said previously, I have a work around (simply backing up the file keeps all the portfolio view changes including the edited name). I will be required to subscribe to keep full Quicken capabilities when my license expires early next year. If I decide to subscribe and the problem persists after the upgrade, I might work with Quicken support to try and solve it. On the other hand, maybe it has already been fixed in the latest release. 
  • dave304
    dave304 Member ✭✭
    You can save your customized view with the following instructions.
    1.) bring up your current view.
    2.) rename your current view or use the same name. (value) (value1)
    3.) customize your view to reflect your changes.
          when customization is complete and you are satisfied with results.
    4.) Click on file in upper left corner and select "save a copy as..."
          A dialog box will open to the Quicken document directory.
          I recommend you select the BACKUP directory and fill in the new filename
          that you want. (I used the present date as the new name. (Jnauary012020)
    5.) The next prompt is to open the new saved file. select yes.
    6.) Exit out of Quicken.
    7.) Start quicken again. Your customized view is now set and saved.  
This discussion has been closed.