Reconciling an account no longer works right

Ever since the 2018 version upgrade, reconciling my checking account hasn't worked right.

I'm using 2018 Deluxe on Win 10.

When I start reconciling the beginning balance matches. I enter the statement last date and the ending balance.

I start clearing deposits and I come across one that is off and needs to be corrected. I double click on it, it goes to the proper record. I open the splits and add a penny to a line item to make the adjustment. I then save the transaction.

This is where it gets weird;

Quicken saves the transaction THEN creates another transaction for the same date and the same amount of the LINE ITEM I changed in the splits. It also puts and R in the Clr column, making it a reconciled transaction! if you look at the splits in this new transaction it has all the line items in it from the transaction I modified, but the net is the amount of the line item I changed.

At this point the balance in the account is still correct.

Obviously it can't be reconciled now because of the rogue transaction it entered and cleared.

When I delete the transaction, the balance in the account is wrong and doesn't add up. Nothing I do will bring it back to the correct value.

NOT very happy with the latest version,

Need help
Gary

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Please see this FAQ post on the topic:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I don't think this is my problem.

Quicken is adding a record to the register automatically that prevents it from reconciling correctly.

Below is how it starts;

Below is the account balance;

This is after I edit one of the line items in the deposit;

It added the reconciled transaction above my deposit! The amount is the same as the amount of the line item I edited;

The balance at this point is still correct, but it won't reconcile because of the transaction it entered.

When I delete the added transaction;

And the balance is wrong,

Nothing I do will bring the correct balance back. I have to restore from a backup.

I really need help with this. I've been using Quicken for 20 years and never had a problem until now after they moved to continuous updates and subscription business model.

Gary
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Quicken is adding a record to the register automatically that prevents it from reconciling correctly.

Below is how it starts;

It added the reconciled transaction above my deposit! The amount is the same as the amount of the line item I edited;

The balance at this point is still correct, but it won't reconcile because of the transaction it entered.

Nothing I do will bring the correct balance back. I have to restore from a backup.

I really need help with this. I've been using Quicken for 20 years and never had a problem until now after they moved to continuous updates and subscription business model.

Gary

I tried to reproduce this using the steps you described and couldn't reproduce it.

Is this something that is happening all the time?

I actually suspect something corrupted in the data file.  Maybe even with the reminder you are using to create this transaction.

I would start by seeing if you can reproduce it in a new data file.

And you can also try validate and repair.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Below is how it starts;

Gary

The Split dialog of your paycheck shows an uncategorized line item #12 for 127.01
    What category should this amount go to? Or should the total amount be adjusted?
    I think that may be the source of your problem.

Recently there have been many posts here about problems with Paycheck transactions (and I don't know how to resolve those).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Below is how it starts;

Gary

I figured it out, Something must have happened to my paycheck transaction during the upgrade. It was bad somehow. I deleted them and created a new one and replaced the old ones and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the help everyone!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Below is how it starts;

Gary

From C. D. Bales:

Since you only posted the split contents of one of the transactions, it's not possible for us to compare the two splits exactly.

Although you said you wanted to adjust the split transaction by $.01, it appears you actually adjusted it by $.02 (from $3388.88 to $3388.90).

As to the unwanted new transaction: I suggest you return your Quicken data to its state before you began the reconcile (restore a backup, if necessary).

Then adjust the split transaction before you start your reconcile (I would adjust the net transaction amount first, then open the split and apply the difference amount to the appropriate split line).

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.