QWin: Make Fixing Existing Bugs a Priority- Top 10 Legacy Bugs Quicken Ignores

13»

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    These are not exactly "Quicken" bugs, but they are certainly long standing bugs that should get fixed.

With Express Web Connect if a person has a bill for the same payee, for the same amount, on the same day the second (or more) transactions will be ignored.

The problem here is that for some financial institutions they don't provide any unique Id for each transaction.  So the Intuit servers have to make up these unique Ids.  But the algorithm they are using doesn't take into account that you might have an identical transaction on the same day.  As an example there was a person that everyday he had to pay a toll going to and from work.  The Intuit servers assign the same "unique" Id for both of these transactions, so the second one is ignored.

The second Express Web Connect problem also related to the unique Id generated by Intuit servers is the fact that if you reset or deactivate/reactivate an account it gives a completely different set of unique Ids, causing you to have duplicate transactions.
    Here is an example after a reset on a Macy's credit card account.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    QPW said:

These are not exactly "Quicken" bugs, but they are certainly long standing bugs that should get fixed.

With Express Web Connect if a person has a bill for the same payee, for the same amount, on the same day the second (or more) transactions will be ignored.

The problem here is that for some financial institutions they don't provide any unique Id for each transaction.  So the Intuit servers have to make up these unique Ids.  But the algorithm they are using doesn't take into account that you might have an identical transaction on the same day.  As an example there was a person that everyday he had to pay a toll going to and from work.  The Intuit servers assign the same "unique" Id for both of these transactions, so the second one is ignored.

The second Express Web Connect problem also related to the unique Id generated by Intuit servers is the fact that if you reset or deactivate/reactivate an account it gives a completely different set of unique Ids, causing you to have duplicate transactions.
    Here is an example after a reset on a Macy's credit card account.

Your first issue is not limited to bills. It can be any sort of tranaction that is repeated more than once per day.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No print for the annual budget view.

Printing the Lifetime planner gives you:
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    QPW said:

Is that one bug or two?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    QPW said:

Two.  Just saving space.  I know that the original intent was one per post and people were to vote on it, but it clear to see that isn't really going to work that way.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    QPW said:

P.S. In fact I don't think it isn't going to "work" at all.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Here is an extremely old bug.
    The Holding view columns do no retain the sizes that the users set.
  • mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just got reacquainted with this old chestnut: when printing the Capital Gains Estimator report, both the Current Holdings and Proposed Sales windows are cut off. 

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Number One with a bullet...although I don't experience it...the "click through" problem when you use FILE > Backup.

That one's lingered for a couple of years now.

Second on my list...a way to delete your Quicken Cloud data...not just reset it.

Third on my list...actually get Mobile Cloud sync to work in a reliable fashion for more than just three weeks at a time before it breaks again...causing a major headache to get it work again.  

Fourth...when I resize a report window, then save it...it doesn't save the re-size.  It's still the crappy little window I have to drag the top to open further when I open the saved report again. 

OK, I'm done now...although I could fill all 10.  

Yes it has.  The click-through bug first appeared in Q2015 I believe because I was the one who found it.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Number One with a bullet...although I don't experience it...the "click through" problem when you use FILE > Backup.

That one's lingered for a couple of years now.

Second on my list...a way to delete your Quicken Cloud data...not just reset it.

Third on my list...actually get Mobile Cloud sync to work in a reliable fashion for more than just three weeks at a time before it breaks again...causing a major headache to get it work again.  

Fourth...when I resize a report window, then save it...it doesn't save the re-size.  It's still the crappy little window I have to drag the top to open further when I open the saved report again. 

OK, I'm done now...although I could fill all 10.  

@QPW @Snowman

You are both right and wrong.

The Click-thru issue started in QW2017 and migrated to 2015 and 2016 with the patch releases that implemented the Intuit Id to Quicken Id transition.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Many releases ago, there was the ability to edit/create asset classes. That ability was taken away long ago, so users are left with either whatever Quicken has decided are the asset classes, or whatever additional asset classes the user created many moons ago. 

The inability to the user to decide what asset classes they want to track and assign to their investments is a major deficiency (aka bug). 

Asset "Types" and "Goals" are editable. "Classes" cannot be allowed to be editable in order for Morningstar quotes downloads to auto-fill the asset class(es) for new securities. "Classes" have never been editable as far as I can recall.

This reply presenting a desired change to a "feature operating as designed" is an example of the difference between a bug and a feature. Bugs, the intended subject of this post, are not subject to opinion; they exist purely as flaws in coding that exhibit unintended behavior.
  • Bylo SelhiBylo Selhi Member
    edited October 2017

Many releases ago, there was the ability to edit/create asset classes. That ability was taken away long ago, so users are left with either whatever Quicken has decided are the asset classes, or whatever additional asset classes the user created many moons ago. 

The inability to the user to decide what asset classes they want to track and assign to their investments is a major deficiency (aka bug). 

Someone is mis-remembering.
    Perhaps. This was in the late '90s or early '00s.

As I recall the issue was inflation-indexed bonds, RRBs in Canada (TIPS and Series I Savings Bonds in the US.) These are a distinct fixed income asset class from nominal bonds. But Quicken didn't have such a class and there was no way for me to add it manually.

There's also a school of so-called asset class investing which tries to eke out higher returns by concentrating investments into much finer classes than Quicken supports (or at least supported at the time), e.g. US small cap value stocks. This approach is backed by Nobel Prize winning academic research (Fama–French three-factor model) and promoted by investment advisers like DFA. 

So the lack of customizable asset classes is a significant issue. And it has been for as long as Quicken has existed. Whether one calls it a bug or a feature isn't important. It's a demonstration of Quicken's inability to listen to its customers, never mind ignorance of Nobel Prize winning research. 

FWIW I participated in many Quicken beta tests for Quicken back in the day. I'd like to think I had the ear of Intuit's developerment and support teams. And yet when I repeatedly asked for better asset class support I was met with silence. Not even some feeble attempt at a  disingenuous explanation for why they wouldn't do anything, e.g. the Morningstar downloads explanation above. 

I'm hoping the new Quicken might be a bit less tone deaf. I'm not holding my breath waiting.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Asset class support must be fixed and tied to the 3rd party provider's methodology for tracking asset classes. To the extent other asset class tracking methodologies are desired, that would be a feature change rather than a bug. It might be accomplished by utilizing an additional 3rd party or convincing the existing provider to provide more detailed industry recognized tracking options. For now, asset Type could provide the customization you would need to create reports tracking assets at a more detailed level than the Morningstar methodology.

I maintain that implementing feature requests of the nature you propose (investment tracking flavor of the day), contribute to Quicken's inability to devote resources to fix  actual bugs in the software.
  • Bylo SelhiBylo Selhi Member
    edited October 2017

Asset class support must be fixed and tied to the 3rd party provider's methodology for tracking asset classes.
    Third parties don't need to be involved in establishing asset classes in the first place. That was Intuit's decision way back when. Furthermore M* is hardly the arbiter of asset classes.

But even if they are there's no rational reason why a Quicken user shouldn't be able to customize the list as I've described to include missing asset classes.
    I maintain that implementing feature requests of the nature you propose contribute to Quicken's inability to devote resources to fix  actual bugs in the software.
    Not necessarily so. But I won't argue the point.

In any case Quicken has managed the unenviable feat of both ignoring these sorts of requests AND devoting adequate resources to fix longstanding bugs (e.g. clipboard related bugs like the one I described just a few posts upthread.) And they've done it while at the same time blithely raising the prices of their products.
    investment tracking flavor of the day
    What part of "Nobel Prize winning academic research" that has been proven over the past several decades and attracted $600B in assets didn't you understand? This is hardly an ephemeral fad.
  • AlanAlan Member
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

BTW If I was point at whole systems like "Tax Planner" I would basically point at "Budget".  As in the Graph view, the Annual view, and the reports all have "differences" in the way they treat things, and what they support.  Like "Everything Else" means different things in the different views.  You can filter accounts in the reports, but not in the views.  In the views you can include reminders, but not in the reports.

And the "parent category" total lines don't take into account sub categories with reminders correctly.  The last time I checked if you have a balance of $59 from last month, plus a budget of $179 this month, and an actual of zero this month, you don't get a balance of $179.

And the "To Date" columns are worthless given all the math errors in them, which also seem to be tied at least in part to rollovers in sub categories.  As you can see above $235 + $3 = $3 isn't correct.

If people can't count on the math in Quicken's budget, what good is it?

I beg everyone’s pardon here, but the Tax Planner is still very much broken. In fact, the entire report section within Quicken (as of the 2016 edition with all patches up-to-date) is very badly broken. See my posts on this topic in another section fo this forum, that detail how the reports leave out most or all transactions in some or all accounts. I have yet to see a single word posted in any forum (this one included) that showed this was ever addressed. As of this moment, the only work-around is to export ALL transactions to another program (like an Excel spreadsheet) for further analysis.