Open Recent on Mac 2017 does not show recent files

suecheat
suecheat Member ✭✭
When I scroll File and click Open Recent, it does not show my two files.  It shows a grey Clear Menu.  I can not see either of the files that I have.    It has been showing both files, but no longer is.  Can anyone help??  Quicken for the Mac 2017 Version 4.8.2

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I am also running 2017 & have 2 separate files.  Have been afraid to update to 4.8.2.  Still on 4.7.3.  Seems whenever there is an update so many problems are reported that I am hesitant!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    @Sue, what happens if you simply launch the Quicken application (in your Dock or applications folder)? Normally, that will open the most recently used file. Does it?

If that works, next, hold down the Command key and click on the title bar of your Quicken window, on the little red Quicken icon or the name of your file to the right of that. That causes a menu to drop down which shows the location of this data files, from your Macintosh HD at the bottom up through the folder hierarchy of where your file is living. If you haven't manually moved your Quicken files, you'll see a hierarchy like this:
       [your file name]
       Documents
       Quicken 2017
       Applications Support
       Library
       home [or the name of your home folder]
       Users 
       Macintosh HD [or the name of your hard drive]

If you simply select Documents, it will open Finder Window with any documents you have -- typically your Quicken data file(s). Do you see your other Quicken data file there?

To get here manually in the Finder, the trick is that the macOS hides the User Library folder by default; it's Apple's parental guidance to keep users out of an area they typically don't need to be in. But to set it, in the Finder, hold down the Option key and pull down the Go menu. With the Option key depressed, Library will be in the list. Select it, then open Applications Support, then Quicken 2017, and then Documents.

(This all assumes you didn't move your Quicken file(s) somewhere else. And there's nothing wrong with moving them; you just need to know where you put them. Post again if that's the problem you're having.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • suecheat
    suecheat Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Finding my files is not my actual problem.  My problem is that when I am in one of my Quicken files, and I want to switch to my other file, I go to File in the menu bar and scroll to Open Recent and there is not a list of my files. There use to be a list of my two files.  Open Recent only shows a grey Clear Menu.  Open Recent use to show the two files that I have and I could switch from one to another via Open Recent.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello Sue, appreciate your question.

Try this for us:

* Try opening one of your Quicken files
    * Go to the File > Open Recent option, does it show this file?

If not, please let us know.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    If you don't see even the currently open file, try restarting the computer. This will clear some of the recent items caches. If that doesn't work, let us know and we can try more drastic measures.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    Sue, it does sound like a macOS issue more than a Quicken issue. But one easy alternative you could consider as a workaround is to put aliases of your two Quicken files in your Dock (e.g. drag each to the Dock). They'll have the same red Quicken logo, but hovering over each icon will show the name of each one. To switch between your Quicken files, simply click on the one you want to open in the Dock. If you're working in file #1 and you want to go to file #2, there's no need to close file #1 or quite -- just click on file #2 in the Dock, and Quicken will close #1, back it up if you have it set to backup, and open #2 -- all with one click.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Sue, it does sound like a macOS issue more than a Quicken issue. But one easy alternative you could consider as a workaround is to put aliases of your two Quicken files in your Dock (e.g. drag each to the Dock). They'll have the same red Quicken logo, but hovering over each icon will show the name of each one. To switch between your Quicken files, simply click on the one you want to open in the Dock. If you're working in file #1 and you want to go to file #2, there's no need to close file #1 or quite -- just click on file #2 in the Dock, and Quicken will close #1, back it up if you have it set to backup, and open #2 -- all with one click.

I agree, more of a macOS issue than a Quicken issue. The workaround that jacobs gave you is good, but if you want to continue troubleshooting and if restarting didn't fix it, the next thing to do is:

Check is the System Preferences app > General > Recent Items. Make sure it didn't accidentally get set to "None". 

If that doesn't do it, then try these steps:
    1. Quit all applications
    2. Move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist to the Desktop
    3. Restart the computer
    4. Check the Recent Items setting in System Preferences making sure it's not "None"
    ~/Library/ indicates your home folder's Library folder. To open that, hold down the Option key and click the Go menu in the Finder.

If this works, you can move the Desktop copy of com.apple.recentitems.plist to the trash. If not, you can put it back in Library/Preferences.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • suecheat
    suecheat Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for all the input.  I finally restarted my computer, and that solved the problem.
  • suecheat
    suecheat Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

If you don't see even the currently open file, try restarting the computer. This will clear some of the recent items caches. If that doesn't work, let us know and we can try more drastic measures.

That fixed it for me.  Thanks.  
This discussion has been closed.