Latest Windows Version R15.16 Deleted Most Posting Date Information

13»

Comments

• kronstadtkronstadt Member
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving Comment.

I'm having a similar issue--in my case the Downloaded Posting Date (which is important to me) is also blank. This is across checking and credit card account types. The pattern seems to be that it is blank in transactions that I entered manually and then matched during the download. I restored my file from the backup I took before R15.16, and the data is still missing. I'm hoping this is a display issue only, and not a corruption of my many years' worth of data.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: New Bug in Q 2019 Windows R 15.16: Register no longer shows "Downloaded Payee" co....

It is interesting that sometimes it says "do you want to update" - and sometimes it just DOES it when you launch Quicken...
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

I'm having a similar issue--in my case the Downloaded Posting Date (which is important to me) is also blank. This is across checking and credit card account types. The pattern seems to be that it is blank in transactions that I entered manually and then matched during the download. I restored my file from the backup I took before R15.16, and the data is still missing. I'm hoping this is a display issue only, and not a corruption of my many years' worth of data.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: New Bug in Q 2019 Windows R 15.16: Register no longer shows "Downloaded Payee" co....

Hi @ Randy H. and ; Leo Braun ,

Why is the Posting Date important? The Posting Date is the Date in which the Bank posts the Deposits and Checks, plus Debit Card Transactions to your Account. The Posting Date Field cannot be edited by you.

The Posting Date is different from the Transaction Date Field or simply Date Field, which can be corrected.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R21.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

• Leo BraunLeo Braun Member
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

thecreator,
    Thank you for your explanation of Posting Date. It states EXACTLY why it is important. It cannot be edited by me. There are times when that is a very important fact to me and many other small business owners. 
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

The original intent of these "Downloaded" register fields was for troubleshooting.  They were not intended for "permanent" use.  Thus, anyone who chooses to use them for other than troubleshooting, is at their own risk, as I have seen these field automatically disappear from time to time.
  • Leo BraunLeo Braun Member
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

Simon, 
    Hmmm, this puzzles me. I have had, needed and used the Posting Date field at least since the year 2000. 
    Are you now telling me that this field has been for troubleshooting and therefore not for Permanent use?
    Has it taken 18 years to troubleshoot? 
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

The fields that are disappearing are the ones with "Downloaded" in in their name.  They are the ones that are for troubleshooting and cannot be modified by the user.  I think the one you are using is "Downloaded Posting Date"?  I think the one that should be used is "Date".  I am using QW2019, and I am not sure which version you are using, and if it different than mine.
  • Joe WasikJoe Wasik Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    While I'm no expert on Quicken construction, I can say unequivocally that both posting fields are important to financial management. How is that not obvious?

edited November 2018
    Joe Wasik said:

While I'm no expert on Quicken construction, I can say unequivocally that both posting fields are important to financial management. How is that not obvious?

You really only need one date.  Which is the "Date" field in Quicken.  The other  date fields with "Downloaded" in their name was supposed to be used for troubleshooting purposes only, to verify your data against your FI.  If people are using them for other purposes that is their right, but they shouldn't then be complaining is those dates get deleted.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

The fields are not disappearing, they are not being displayed due to a bug in the program, proof is in the fact that if you revert to 27.1.14.27 or earlier or QW2016 or QW2017, they are displayed.

The posting date is important because it is when the FI officially posted the transaction, regardless of when it actually happened.  Writing a check is a great example.  You write the check on day 1, it gets stuck in the mail, it gets to the recipient 3 days later and finally deposited in their bank 4 days later and your bank honors it the next day.  Now, the posting date in your checking account is 9 days after you wrote the check.  Some people need to know that information, to others, it is an "oh who cares".

I have never heard of it as being labeled troubleshooting information. 

Quicken uses it to decide which transactions to show when reconciling, that sure isn't troubleshooting.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

Splasher, if you look in Quicken Help, it describes these fields as used for troubleshooting.
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

BTW, I have worked in banking for over 30 years and I can tell you that the extra date is not needed and is a waste of time.
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

I also think that people are using these downloaded fields because it is easier than typing in  the information themselves.  But again, I don't think that is what they were intended for.
  • Joe WasikJoe Wasik Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

Respectfully, SimonSezSo, who are you to tell to other Quicken users what they should and should not find important (or a "waste of time?")  Interesting moniker, by the way.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Note I just recieved R15.18, and it fixes this problem.  But also note that is in staged release mode, and not even yet available for manual downloading.
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

Note I just recieved R15.18, and it fixes this problem.  But also note that is in staged release mode, and not even yet available for manual downloading.

Hi @ QPW ,

I concur. I got it. Posting Date is shown in all its glory.

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

• mudhead46mudhead46 Member
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

Ditto.  Amen!  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Randy H. said:

BTW, I have worked in banking for over 30 years and I can tell you that the extra date is not needed and is a waste of time.
    That is because the bank couldn't care less what date you wrote on the check, they only care about the posting date which is the date that they honored the check.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

Confirmed. Scratch one bug.
    Got my update via Help / Check for Updates.

The bug hunt continues.
  • ELSoccerDadELSoccerDad Member
    edited December 2018
    Got my R15.18 update today as well and the Posting Dates are restored. They are semi-useful when reconciling a checking account. Sort on that column and it should better match order of transactions on the bank statement. Only semi-useful because don't write many checks or have many transactions each month in my checking account!
    edited November 2018

Got my R15.18 update today as well and the Posting Dates are restored. They are semi-useful when reconciling a checking account. Sort on that column and it should better match order of transactions on the bank statement. Only semi-useful because don't write many checks or have many transactions each month in my checking account!

Hi @ ELSoccerDad ,

Even while the Posting Date was blanked out in the Register, they were always present in the Reconciliation Window for Paper Statement, reconciling.