Flag and Paperclip icons missing from New Transaction Line

Dan Glynhampton
Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
Windows 10 Pro 1803 build 17134.345
Quicken Deluxe US 2019 R15.16

This problem has been introduced between R14.27 and R15.16 and affects bank and cash accounts, the issue is present in both 1 line and 2 line modes of the register.

With the register sorted in ascending order the New Transaction line is at the bottom of the screen.  In R14.27 the icons for adding a flag or attachment to the new transaction are displayed:

In R15.16, those icons are missing from the new transaction line, it looks like this:

As you can see, if I hover the mouse over the place where the icon should be, the pop up message appears, and you can click on the invisible icon and it all works as expected, but the icon is never displayed for a new transaction.

If the sort order is changed to descending date order, the New Transaction line moves to the top of the screen and the icons for flags and attachments are displayed correctly. Switch back to ascending date sort and they disappear again.

US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    That's a strange one.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dan Glynhampton
    edited May 2020

That's a strange one.

It sure is strange.  I wonder if it might be related to the missing posting date problems, as that seems to be a display issue of some kind too.  The two problems were introduced at the same time so it seems likely there's a link.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    edited November 2018
    This problem is still present in R15.18
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add A Flag Or Note and Add An Attachment icons are missing in the registry Quicke....

The Add A Flag Or Note and Add An Attachment icons are missing in the registry. Once I save the transaction I can go back to the transaction and the icons will appear even if there is no Flag/Note or Attachment. The option is still there, it is just not showing the icons. I can hover the mouse pointer over where these icon should be and a pop-up will appear saying Add An attachment and it works if I click it. This bug only appeared two updates back for Quicken.  Using Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Build 1809 17763.55 all latest updates. Quicken 2019 Version R15.18 Build 27.1.15.18.

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Dan,

I appreciate you taking the time to report this issue and am also seeing this behavior in my own version of R15.18.  I've opened a ticket with Development to report the missing attachment and flag icons but unfortunately do not know when a fix will be available.

As soon as I do receive an update on the ticket, I'll be back to share.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Dan Glynhampton
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

I appreciate you taking the time to report this issue and am also seeing this behavior in my own version of R15.18.  I've opened a ticket with Development to report the missing attachment and flag icons but unfortunately do not know when a fix will be available.

Thank you,

Sarah

That's great Sarah, thank you for opening the ticket.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

I've just installed 27.1.16.14 and this problem has been resolved..
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

Had Quicken check for updates and it said I had the latest version, even though it wasn't the 27.1.16.14. Downloaded the patch file from Quicken's webpage. When I run the patch (as administrator) I get an error that says:

Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load.

Could not parse the URL "Hammock\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

I got the patch file to work by unarchiving the QW27.1.16.14MPatch.EXE patch file then running the Patch.exe or the Smartpatch.exe file (can't remember which one). After the update the problem was fixed, the missing paperclip icon was back.   
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Dan,

Appreciate the update! I'm glad to hear that R16.14 release restores the missing flag/paperclip icons and I've gone ahead and marked this one as "solved"

Thanks!

Sarah
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

Just for the record ... if anybody else trips over the problem encountered by @Dennis ...

In case of Patch installation error "Server file
    failed to load ... Index and length ..."

Please follow
    instructions here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the
    problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are
    located in a folder named, for example, "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John
    and Doe) you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name
    that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new
    account to install or update Quicken.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

@UKR: I'm compelled to respond with "you got to be kidding", but one can't make this stuff up. Really? How did you or someone else ever figure this one out? To the best of my knowledge, Windows User account names are permitted to contain spaces.... in fact, this is only logical since it is not uncommon to have a family share a computer and each person have their own account (with a space between the first name and the last name).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi Dan,

Thank you,

Sarah

There are plenty of other posts discussing this. Just search for that wyserver.wys file name.
    It appears that there is an error in the installation script process which, when putting together this particular file name from symbolic variables, forgets to enclose the entire path + file name string with double quotes. That means any process trying to use this file name craps out on the blank space in the username portion of the path.

Quicken may (or may not) have fixed this issue in later versions of Quicken, but what's out there in the field on CDs and previously downloaded installation files can't be fixed retroactively. So, we may still see this problem come up once in a while, until all the old installation files have gone to the bit bucket.
This discussion has been closed.