Problems with Target REDcard

I have been downloading my statements into Quicken 2017 Home and Business for months, most recently on 2/2/2018. Today, 2/14/2018, I receive an error message that says "Your financial institution has added a new security feature that requires your attention before your account can be updated." What is this new security feature, and what do I have to do to get Quicken to directly import my Target statements/transactions?

Comments

• Ken LehmannKen Lehmann Member
    edited February 2018
    Sorry your having an issue, but I would contact your financial institution so see what the new security feature is. Then we can work on getting Quicken to work with it. I'd log onto the website and see what is expected.
  • g stetzerg stetzer Member
    edited February 2018
    The financial institution is Target and they probably have a security question, like a third line of defense that Quicken doesn't allow for in they're downloading process.. you need to talk to Target. See if there's some way to skip that security question.
  • Ken LehmannKen Lehmann Member
    edited February 2018
    I've had security questions pop up on my Quicken downloads, so I'm not sure that's it. Either way, you need to talk to Target to see what they implemented.
  • James MasseyJames Massey Member
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I have scoured support on the Quicken web site as well as anything pertinent on the Quicken Community site, and I have found nothing useful in solving this problem. I have also scoured the online support pages on the Target web site, and spoken by phone to Target support personnel with equally useless results. I fully expect this question to never be answered, just like most of the other questions on this forum. Very discouraging...
  • James MasseyJames Massey Member
    edited February 2018
    My last post was deleted bacause it was considered a “rant.” So let me politely explain that, although appreciated, the suggestions provided on this forum have been tried, but all have proved ineffective. Contacting Target’s online tech support yielded nothing other than they have not changed anything on their end for months, and I should contact Quicken for further help. Bottom line is there is no explanation for being unable to download my Target REDcard transactions. I will continue to research this problem, and if and when I find a a solution, I’ll post it here.
  • edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Target Red Card transactions not downloading.

I'm using Quicken Premier 2017. I've repeatedly encountered the error "connectivity problems" when trying to download Target Red Card transactions. Usually after I reset the account, it's fine... for at least a week or two. However, last week and today after these same connectivity issues, I tried resetting the account, and it still does not download any of the transactions.
  • Dennis2968Dennis2968 Member
    edited November 2018

I have been having this same issue since September 15, 2018. Is there a work-around? Is there a plane on Quicken's part to resolve this issue?
  • Dennis2968Dennis2968 Member
    edited November 2018

I found a solution. In my case, Target had changed my account number and Quicken was using the original account number. However, Quicken does not allow the changing of the account number. To resolve the issue, I had to create a new account for Target using the new account number and then download records form Target - I think it was 85 days worth. But you might be able to change that to a lower number.

After doing that, I compared the new data to the old data and deleted any new data that was already reconciled in the old data. I then deleted unreconciled data in the old account. Finally I made an adjustment to the old account so that the balance would show as zero.

It would have been so much easier if the account number could have been modified, but for the moment, I'm able to download records from Target again.
  • tencentgolftencentgolf Member
    edited November 2018
    Target upgraded security to answer a security question.  For some reason, Quicken attempts to enter target so many times before it gives the option to answer the security question that the account becomes locked.  I have had to reset my security questions on the red card site after each time I try to update via quicken, then disconnect and reconnect online functionality in quicken (it breaks the next time).  Guess it is time to cancel the Target card.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Target upgraded security to answer a security question.  For some reason, Quicken attempts to enter target so many times before it gives the option to answer the security question that the account becomes locked.  I have had to reset my security questions on the red card site after each time I try to update via quicken, then disconnect and reconnect online functionality in quicken (it breaks the next time).  Guess it is time to cancel the Target card.

Have you tried removing Target from One Step Update and then running a "Update Now" from the account register's Action gear icon?
    That should cut down on the number of failing access attempts.
This discussion has been closed.