Downloaded transactions don't Auto match

Keith
Keith Member ✭✭

Downloaded transactions don't Auto match. All the downloaded transactions match existing transitions.  However, they ALL say "New".  I have to go to each one and select Match Manually.  They should all say "Match".  I just upgraded to Home and Business 2018, but the problem continues.

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Keith: are the existing transactions already marked cleared ("C") or reconciled ("R")?
  • Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

No,there is no mark in that column. Dates match, amounts match, works if I manually match.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Are you using the Quicken Mobile app or Quicken Web syncing?
  • Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

No Mobile app, so must be Web sync. I just click One Step Update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

No Mobile app, so must be Web sync. I just click One Step Update.

Note, I'm not talking about any of the downloading of transaction connection methods when I say "Quicken Web".

Both Quicken Web and the Quicken mobile app work by you syncing your Desktop data to a Quicken Cloud account.  Quicken Web and the Quicken mobile app are the "GUIs" for accessing the Quicken Cloud account data.

It has been reported in other threads that people using the Quicken Cloud sync have had transactions just show up as new instead of matching, so that is my guess on what is going on for you.  But I could be wrong.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Keith,
    next time you download from the bank and get into the same situation with "New" transactions ... before you do anything, capture an image of the entire register view. I would like to see the register transaction that the newly downloaded transaction should be matched to. Maybe we can spot what's going on here.

Can
    you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Here is a screen capture with 4 "New" transactions that match exactly with existing transactions in the register above.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Here is a screen capture with 4 "New" transactions that match exactly with existing transactions in the register above.

Thanks for providing an image snapshot.
    Hmmm ... one difference I can see is the Check Number column.
    Have you written paper checks to send to AmEx? There's a check number in the downloaded transaction, yet the register transaction shows EFT. I'm suspecting this might throw Quicken off balance.
    What happens if you remove EFT from the register? Will that make Quicken say "Match"?

P.S.: You can save space in the register by removing the Amount column (duplicate of Payment and Deposit) and the Tag column (if you don't use Tags at all). Makes the other columns a little wider.
  • Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

The bank always puts a number in the Num column. Not sure what that signifies. I always tag my register with EFT when paying through the bank.  It doesn't cause problems with other accounts. Seems to only happen with this account.  I was hoping the upgrade to the newest version would fix it.  I removed the EFT from my register, still no match.  If I click "Match" on a downloaded item, the matching register item is listed to select. I can select that and it works.  Just a lot of extra clicks each sync with the bank.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Try not to mark these transactions EFT, even though you pay thru your bank's bill pay system. Let's see what happens then.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

From C. D. Bales:

"Hmmm ... one difference I can see is the Check Number column".

I think UKR is onto the problem here, but I think the problem is a bit more complex than just the check# itself.

All the displayed downloaded transactions are basically online billpay confirmations (see the heading, "Accept payments created outside of Quicken into register"). They are NOT "cleared transactions" - the downloaded cleared transactions will not be presented until all the online billpay confirmations have been processed.

Downloaded billpay confirmations are only going to automatically match a register transaction when the original billpay instruction was created in Quicken. Had that been true in this specific instance, the American Express transaction in the register would already have Check# 5255 and one of those lightening bolt online billpay Status icons (see the register Comcast transaction just above the American Express transaction).

If the billpay instruction was not created in Quicken, then the downloaded confirmation is correctly designated a New transaction. If you want a downloaded billpay confirmation to match a register transaction that is not an online billpay instruction, you will have to "Manually Match" the two.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

I have two other bank accounts that I use billpay with in this same way.  They always auto match.  I only seem to have a problem with this account.  This account is BoA, the other two that work as expected are with Chase. Other than that, I follow the same process with all three accounts. With this account, all transactions don't auto match, not just billpay.  I'll try to get a screen shot next time I download with mixed transaction types.
  • Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I downloaded again, this time leaving my check number field blank as you suggested. Same problem continues, the downloads say "New" when they all clearly exist in the register.  However, notice in the screen shot above, there is a dim "Continue" button in the lower right. Once I match or dismiss the downloads shown, the "Continue" button becomes selectable.  When I select continue, the "same" set of online billpay downloads appear again along with others.  On that next screen, the check number field is blank and all the transactions match.  So, as you said, the random check number supplied by BofA on the first set of downloads seems to be the mismatch.  I'm not sure why BofA downloads the transactions twice, or why they provide a random check number on just the first set of downloads. But all my Chase and other bank accounts download fine. So it appears to be a problem with the way BofA downloads online billpay transactions.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

From C. D. Bales:

"When I select continue, the 'same' set of online
    billpay downloads appear again along with others.  On that next screen,
    the check number field is blank and all the transactions match".

As I mentioned before: the transactions that appear in the
    screenshot you posted are online billpay confirmations, they're not
    "cleared" transactions. You can receive an online billpay
    confirmation days, or weeks, before the actual transaction clears the bank and
    is downloaded.

The transactions you see after you click
    "Continue" are actual transactions that have cleared the bank. 

I don't agree that there is a problem with BofA
    billpay. 

I use online billpay with BofA regularly; I never have the
    problem you report (or any other problem). I usually create the billpay
    instructions in Quicken and send them to BofA (at that point, my Quicken
    "Sent" instructions already have the billpay check#). 

Later the billpay confirmations are downloaded, and they
    automatically match the instruction already in my register. And when the actual
    transaction occurs, clears the bank and is downloaded, it too automatically
    matches the confirmation in my register.

[But I also have no problem on the rare occasion when I
    create the billpay instruction at the BofA web site - in that case, the
    subsequent downloaded confirmation (with check#) is the first instance of that
    billpay request that Quicken sees. Later, when the cleared transaction
    downloads, it also automatically matches.]

What I never do is alter the check# for any billpay activity
    (instruction, confirmation, or cleared transaction).

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Keith
    Keith Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Good information.  I'll see if I can learn how to "create the billpay instructions in Quicken". I didn't know about that feature. I now see the check box in the Bill Reminder, Use Online Bill Pay. I'll give that a try.
This discussion has been closed.