Uncategorized Transaction Missing Actual Data

I think I have to build a new file. 3 hours on the phone with Customer Support Yesterday. 300K in Uncategorized transactions. 100ishK on 4/18/18. I can find this data information only in the Income and Expenses ALL categories and accounts only but there is no supporting data to delete and reenter the transaction that I can find. I can narrow the date window to identify the date. This data does not show up AT ALL in an itemized transaction report. Does ANYONE have ANY idea how I can fix this without recreating my file from scratch? (This data is in my backups also, I already looked) I've mongo patched backwards. I don't know what else to try. I have a lot of investing accounts set up in Quicken. Will lose all that data or start over. 

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Customer Support Deleted Every Quicken Folder "Renaming" Deleted and cleaned my system. reinstalled Home and Business from a new download.
    Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thank you for trying to help. Is there anything else you might need to know? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    BTW We went backwards with the Mondo Patches
    1.11.18- I believe this is where he said I am going to have to rebuild the data file from scratch and that is where he left it. 
  • thecreator
    edited November 2018

Customer Support Deleted Every Quicken Folder "Renaming" Deleted and cleaned my system. reinstalled Home and Business from a new download.
    Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

Hi @ AlesiaDick ,

Go to the Windows Settings > Update and Security > Check for Updates
    Latest Build is 17134.376

Do you have Manual Backups available for Quicken?

After you are finished Updating Windows, Review this Article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/reinstalling-quicken-2018-for-windows?rfm=1&...

2018 and 2019 uses the same procedure.

When done, reinstalling and after you have Restored the Manual Backup you wish to use, go to Quicken Preferences to Downloaded Transactions:

Set up like above, but if Quicken Categorizes wrong, then then uncheck Automatically categorize transactions.

Rely on your Manually Categorizing of Transactions when they occur.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

Do you have Manual Backups available for Quicken? yes
    okay, thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

And so.... @ thecreator - QKN 2017 & 2019 Windows If that didn't fix the problem, I'm going to have to create a new file, correct?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

I FOUND IT!!!! PLACEHOLDER ENTRIES AGAINST CALLS AND PUTS THAT HAD DOWNLOADED INCORRECTLY INTO THE SOFTWARE!!! I deleted the placeholder entries and the magic data went away AND didn't change the account information balances and blah blah blah.... I knew it had something to do with the investment accounts. APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND I DON'T HAVE TO CREATE A NEW FILE!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Placeholder Entries CAN CREATE Uncategorized Transactions YOU CAN'T FIND.

I almost deleted my entire Quicken Database. I thought the Data was corrupt because everyone I worked with told me to delete and clean my software and then reinstall from scratch (3 times in 2 days now) and I have validated and supervalidated and Mondo patched and backuped and restored and..... I JUST FIGURED IT OUT! Hubby did some "call" and "put" action in our investment accounts and I couldn't figure out how to get Quicken to properly enter the transactions. So I entered placeholders for my problem in hopes to fix at some point in the future. My reporting was off in the Income and Expense report for Magic UNCATEGORIZED transactions I COULD NOT FIND. So the customer support had me export my data yesterday so I could import my data and start a new file, warning me that my investment data would not import properly and that corrupt data would disappear and I would have to recreate lots of information in various accounts. When I exported the data, I got an error report that said "these transactions don't calculate like the data downloaded.... hmmmm..... and it told me which account created this error report. I went to that account just now and deleted all the placeholder entries and WALA!! my mystery uncategorized EVERYTHING that I was unable to find went away like that!!!! Years ago I had mystery uncategorized transactions and had to delete and reenter transactions to clean up the data. I'm just sharing in case you have a problem like mine. Deleting placeholders and cleaning up the data is a LOT easier than recreating an entire file with years of history. Have a great day!! I'm personally CELEBRATING!!!!
  • thecreator
    edited November 2018

Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

Hi @ AlesiaDick ,

I don't have Stocks or Investment Accounts, but you found the problem. Very good.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

I'm very grateful you stepped up to try to help! Your link to clean the old quicken was more in depth than what I had done previously. Now no patches, clean current file, and I defragged, emptied the temporary files, trash bin, etc. In a much better place for your efforts. THANK YOU
  • thecreator
    edited November 2018

Year 2019
    Version R15.18
    Build 27.1.15.18
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    Installed 5/21/18
    OS Build 17134.345

Hi @ AlesiaDick ,

You are welcome. Sometimes Support, just tows the Company line. Any Support. And Users are left on their own to fix. They haven't even tested my procedure.
    It works just fine, as I do it all the time.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    if you don't already, set Quicken to create automatic and manual backups.   Computer crashes, viruses, malware  incomplete patches, etc.  can render the data file unusable and unrepairable.    
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I do. But the problem was unidentified. It was in my backups too. I wasn't focused on what I'm focused on until I could budget mobile (again)
This discussion has been closed.