Memorize a category assignment based on the Memo field.

I thought I would ask the community if anyone else has this
problem.  Currently running Quicken Home,
Business & Rental Property 2019 version: R15.18, Build: 27.1.15.18

When I download transactions from my bank the list of
transactions that are waiting for me to accept shows the words ”Debit Card
Debit”, or “Withdrawal” and is followed by a “/” symbol and the info after the
“/” symbol is the actual payee info. 
When I accept them, the words ”Debit Card Debit”, or “Withdrawal” lands
in the payee field and the payee info lands in the Memo field.  So I end up having to assign a category manually
for each one.  What I would like to have
Quicken do is give us the ability to:

Memorize a category assignment based on the Memo
field.

Have the option to have the Memo field
information populate the Payee field when accepting transactions.

Include the Memo field to the dropdown choices
when adding or editing Renaming Rules.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome and if anyone has a
solution, I would be very grateful.  I’ve
been very happy with Quicken for the last 25 years.

Thank you, DaveD

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would talk to the bank and ask them to provide proper Payee Name information, without the space wasting "Withdrawal" or "Debit Card Debit" and the "/".

The Downloaded Memo field should be a part of what's used to determine Renaming Rules.
    If it isn't, please provide us with screen image snapshots of some examples.

Can
    you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

"What I would like to have Quicken do is give us the ability to: ....".

Quicken Renaming Rules are already designed to deal with your issue.

From Quicken Help for Renaming Rules (some emphasis added):

------------------------------------------------------------

If necessary, choose Tools menu > Renaming Rules.

Click Add a Rule at the bottom of the Renaming Rules dialog.

In the Change payee to field, enter or edit the name you want to use for the payee. In other words, the name you want to change similar payees to.

In the drop-down, select Payee contains or Quicken name is to specify the type of renaming rule to create.

What's the difference?

Payee contains: When you download new transactions, Quicken searches the combined text of the downloaded Payee and Memo fields for the text you enter (in the next step). A match occurs, and the downloaded payee is renamed, if the text you enter appears in the same order, and not as a substring, somewhere within the combined fields. Examples: Parker matches Parker Supplies; Parker does not match ParkerSupplies; Parker Supplies matches Parker Supplies Company; Parker Supplies does not match Supplies by Parker Company.

Quicken name is: When you download new transactions, Quicken searches its own database of common merchant names for the text you enter (in the next step). A match occurs, and the downloaded payee is renamed, if the text you enter exactly matches a merchant in the database. The search is performed after all other renaming rules have been run. Examples: Parker Supplies matches Parker Supplies; Parker does not match Parker Supplies, or any other variant such as Supplies by Parker.

For more information, see How Quicken suggests categories and payees

In the text box, enter the words to search for. Comparisons are not case sensitive.

Example

If Anytown Coffeehouse is the name of the renaming rule, and you select Payee contains and enter Anytown Coffee as the words to search for, then both Anytown Coffee Pleasanton, and Anytown Coffee 005 would be renamed to Anytown Coffeehouse.

To save the rule, click OK.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the text defining "Payee contains", paying particular attention to the examples.

[I seem to remember that you should not have an account open that you want Renaming Rules applied to when downloading. Someone will correct me if my memory is faulty here.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I would talk to the bank and ask them to provide proper Payee Name information, without the space wasting "Withdrawal" or "Debit Card Debit" and the "/".

The Downloaded Memo field should be a part of what's used to determine Renaming Rules.

Can
    here?

capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

S

Thank you UKR,  I need to wait a few days for more transactions to clear, but I think mshiggins has shown me the way.  Thank you for explaining how to setup and post screenshots, this will be very useful.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thank you mshiggins.  I will give this a try.  I didn't know Quicken also considers what is in the Memo field.  I should be all set.  Thank you so much!  Best, Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Can
    here?

image.

S

Hi UKR,  I had a few cleared transactions today and went ahead and memorized them the way they displayed (with the word "Withdrawal" in the Payee field) after I assigned a category.  As mshiggins showed, Quicken does consider what is in the Memo field, and they display in the memorized transactions list exactly as they are in the register.  The Withdrawal is still in the payee field but it's ok with me as long as the category is correct and I see what's in the memo.  So I'm all set.  Thanks for responding.  Best, Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Thank you mshiggins.  I will give this a try.  I didn't know Quicken also considers what is in the Memo field.  I should be all set.  Thank you so much!  Best, Dave

Hi mshiggins,  I had some cleared transactions today and did what you said and it's working.  See my 2nd reply to UKR.  Thank you for showing me the way.  I'm all set now.  All the best, Dave
This discussion has been closed.