Paycheck Errors

John W.John W. Member
I have entered paychecks into quicken. They are all properly set up. However, when I click on the checkmark to view the paycheck in the check register, the amounts are gone. I hit enter on one of these transactions, and it wiped out the whole paycheck. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can this be fixed?

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    John,More info is needed.What Q product are you running?  What Build/Release (you can do HELP, About Quicken for this info)?  QWin or QMac?  What country?
    And, how did you create those Paychecks?  Using the "Paycheck Wizard"?  Or, manually?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • John W.John W. Member
    edited October 2018
    I am using Quicken 2018. Current release and I used the paycheck wizard to create the checks in the old version of quicken-2015.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    John W. said:

I am using Quicken 2018. Current release and I used the paycheck wizard to create the checks in the old version of quicken-2015.

Can you, please,  specify the exact Build/Release?
    And, have you tried Validating your Q data file?  Because what you describe MIGHT be a symptom of corrupted data. 

It could also be a corrupted program installation ... but let's explore the data angle 1st.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Mark HeilMark Heil Member
    edited November 2018
    Same thing happened to me with the last Quicken update, It was only the paychecks that were entered since the update. So i deleted them and re-entered them. Now, I just installed the current version update, and all of those paychecks lost their entries again! The splits still show up when you hover the mouse over the split area of the registry, but when you click the split icon and the paycheck window opens, there is nothing there.
    Build 27.0.14.02
  • AlanAlan Member ✭✭
    edited January 12
    This happens regularly for me.  Quicken 2018 - Home, Business & Rental Property (Build 27.1.8.8 - Windows 10).  I typically identify this when I run the Validate and Repair utility which I do regularly to find problems as soon as they occur rather than months later and have trouble remembering how to correct them.

My observation is that the split data in the Paycheck in my checking account where my net pay is deposited is lost after I download and match the cleared transaction from bank.  This occurred yesterday.  The paycheck transaction has been in my register without a problem for several days.  Only after the download and match occurs do the transfers get broken.  

When this occurs, all of the entries to other accounts from the transfers in the Paycheck function get orphaned and must be deleted manually.  Since I have several, this takes time.
  • dweinshel1dweinshel1 Member
    edited November 2018
    I just found this problem in my data file and found this thread. Q2018 Win on Win 10. This affects transactions going back to 4/276/2018 for me and would be too time consuming to manually correct. Especially if it is not clear what is going on. Is Quicken aware?
  • jdl20jdl20 Member
    edited November 2018
    I am also having the same exact problem.  Is Quicken working on solving this issue.
  • jkljkl Member
    edited November 2018
    Same problem. Quicken claims ignorance of the issue. Check for new versions says I have latest, but they said download a patch for latest version released on 10/25, but it will not install

• jkljkl Member
    edited October 2018
    Managed to get Quicken 2019 R15.15 version installed (which was difficult, see https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/there-is-not-enough-space-on-drive-c-to-extract-...)
    But I still have the same paycheck issue.
    And it is now randomly duplicating transfers from the paycheck into other accounts. One linked, the other not, and I have to delete the duplicate. Still get no entries when opening paycheck

• jkljkl Member
    edited November 2018
    Still have the same problem with Quicken 2019 R15.16 version
  • Carl SirokyCarl Siroky Member
    edited January 27
    Same problem here.   I enter the data into a paycheck that was set up using the wizard.   It appears to be random, but the "Paycheck" with detailed breakdown of splits is replaced by "Wages and salary"  All the detail is gone.  I don't know when this happens or what causes it to happen.  This same exact thing has happened several times over the past several months....it's not a new problem.

Quicken 2019 R15.15, build 27.1.15.18

Dear Quicken Support:  It's a bug....please fix it!
    edited November 2018
    Alan said:

This happens regularly for me.  Quicken 2018 - Home, Business & Rental Property (Build 27.1.8.8 - Windows 10).  I typically identify this when I run the Validate and Repair utility which I do regularly to find problems as soon as they occur rather than months later and have trouble remembering how to correct them.

My observation is that the split data in the Paycheck in my checking account where my net pay is deposited is lost after I download and match the cleared transaction from bank.  This occurred yesterday.  The paycheck transaction has been in my register without a problem for several days.  Only after the download and match occurs do the transfers get broken.  

When this occurs, all of the entries to other accounts from the transfers in the Paycheck function get orphaned and must be deleted manually.  Since I have several, this takes time.

Yes.  The match downloaded transactions process is when this corruption occurs.  You can see it if you go into your "Match downloaded transactions" then click on "Manually match".  The screen will show that all the paycheck in this manually matched list are tagged as "Wages and Salary".   If you match "Paycheck" to one of these then all the detail of the "Paycheck" which you entered  in the register will  be overwritten by "Wages and Salary" single entry.
    edited November 2018

Same problem here.   I enter the data into a paycheck that was set up using the wizard.   It appears to be random, but the "Paycheck" with detailed breakdown of splits is replaced by "Wages and salary"  All the detail is gone.  I don't know when this happens or what causes it to happen.  This same exact thing has happened several times over the past several months....it's not a new problem.

I dug into this deeper and found when this happens:  The match downloaded transactions process is when this corruption occurs.  You can see it if you go into your "Match downloaded transactions" then click on "Manually match".  The screen will show that all the paycheck in this manually matched list are tagged as "Wages and Salary".   If you match "Paycheck" to one of these then all the detail of the "Paycheck" which you entered  in the register will  be overwritten by "Wages and Salary" single entry.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

From what you describe, something is not right with the paycheck register entry.  If you've entered the paycheck as a reminder (which the paycheck wizard does) the paycheck should be entered on or just prior to the day it is due.  When a OSU is performed and the bank transactions appear in the download listing, the paycheck should state "Matched".  You should not need to match manually if the net amount is set up correctly.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you stated?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • AlanAlan Member ✭✭
    edited January 11
    Alan said:

I have a new observation.  The corruption of the paycheck data may occur as part of the Mobile/Web Sync.  I have been vigilantly testing this and performing a validate file in between each step.  The download transaction matching worked fine and no corruption occurred.  However, after I then performed a Mobile/Web Sync, the corruption appeared.
  • jkljkl Member
    edited January 12
    Alan said:

I have seen the corruption before that. As soon as the match is made. It is pathetic that Quicken can not fix this, and when you call for support, they block escalation and only want to perform endless validations, backups and restores for many hours.
  • Tom HarrisTom Harris Member
    edited January 12
    Alan said:

Sadly, most of the superusers here recommend NOT syncing to mobile or to the web.

Data corruption seems to be an issue in the syncing process.
  • Mark HeilMark Heil Member
    edited January 12
    It's not just a corruption in paychecks anymore. After the last "update" I downloaded transactions from my banks and suddenly a full year's worth of transactions in several accounts were deleted from my registers and were somehow shown only as downloaded transactions that had to be "approved" one at a time before they were entered back into my registers. the balances are still way off on all of my accounts and if I chose to I would have to go back and reconcile over a year's worth of statements to straighten it out. I tried just restoring the backup from the day before and rerunnng the bank downloads and the same thing happened. This is just the culmination of disastrous misteps and errors since Quicken went independent.

So, that's it. After 25 years I am DONE with Quicken. I cancelled my service and have switched over to Mint. Mint doesn't have all of the features, but it seems more reliable.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    Mark Heil said:

It's not just a corruption in paychecks anymore. After the last "update" I downloaded transactions from my banks and suddenly a full year's worth of transactions in several accounts were deleted from my registers and were somehow shown only as downloaded transactions that had to be "approved" one at a time before they were entered back into my registers. the balances are still way off on all of my accounts and if I chose to I would have to go back and reconcile over a year's worth of statements to straighten it out. I tried just restoring the backup from the day before and rerunnng the bank downloads and the same thing happened. This is just the culmination of disastrous misteps and errors since Quicken went independent.

So, that's it. After 25 years I am DONE with Quicken. I cancelled my service and have switched over to Mint. Mint doesn't have all of the features, but it seems more reliable.

Hello Mark,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this difficulty.

I understand how this would be frustrating.

I would like to ask if you have tried going to File > Restore from back up and restoring a copy of the file prior to the update.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • jshoafjshoaf Member ✭✭
    I just noticed this issue too.  I tried to reconcile a 401k account and noticed my contributions were duplicated.  I tried to go back to the original paycheck transaction in my bank account and everything is zeros and I can't edit.  Running the validate process resulted in several errors related to paychecks (for both me and my wife) going several months back.  It suggests to me to delete and recreate but that will be a huge headache because these paychecks go to several accounts and many of them have already been reconciled months ago.  File restore will mean I've lost several months of data and take hours to fix. @Quicken Generic User Is there a fix?  How can I get some confidence this isn't going to be an ongoing issue for me?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jshoaf said:
    I just noticed this issue too.  I tried to reconcile a 401k account and noticed my contributions were duplicated.  I tried to go back to the original paycheck transaction in my bank account and everything is zeros and I can't edit.  Running the validate process resulted in several errors related to paychecks (for both me and my wife) going several months back.  It suggests to me to delete and recreate but that will be a huge headache because these paychecks go to several accounts and many of them have already been reconciled months ago.  File restore will mean I've lost several months of data and take hours to fix. @Quicken Generic User Is there a fix?  How can I get some confidence this isn't going to be an ongoing issue for me?
    Look at the old paychecks in a Transaction Report that shows Split Detail.
    If the report shows correct Split Detail yet editing the transaction's Split Detail shows no data I recommend you do NOT edit old paychecks at all. If you have to make a correction, create a new regular transaction with appropriate Split Detail adjustments.

By the way, are newly created paycheck transactions editable without problems?
    I very much suspect that this whole issue was created by the programmers making a change that proved to be incompatible with old paychecks.
  • jshoafjshoaf Member ✭✭
    Thanks @UKR

All my errors are related to paychecks and specifically transfers to accounts like 401K and HSA.  It impacted paychecks towards the end of November and September for some reason.  New ones are ok, some in between Sep and Nov are ok.  It sounds like I need to delete existing recurring paychecks and recreate them for safety.
  • RichMDRichMD Member
    edited February 3
    I also frequently do super validation and found the split (transfers) for my last paycheck (Jan 31) were corrupt and it said to delete and reenter them.  I haven't yet done that but when I hover over the category split for the net deposit in checking it shows the popup with the correct amounts.  If I click on the green arrow to open the paycheck entry, all the amounts are gone - it shows an empty paycheck entry.  I cancel out and hover over the split and they all show up in the popup... ??? I will enter everything manually for this paycheck but this isn't the first time this has happened.

This discussion has been closed.