Problem downloading quotes for FXAIX (Fidelity 500 Index Fund) after conversion from FUSVX

William Worsley
William Worsley Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I too initially had problems in successfully converting my IRA Fidelity 500 Index FUSVX funds to FXAIX.  Now, when I do a nightly download of fund prices, FXAIX does not update.  The fund is listed to be downloaded in the Security List.  What might be the problem?

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello William. Appreciate your question.

We need more information in order to assist you: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • William Worsley
    edited November 2018
    Sorry about the lack of info Harold - I have been trying to solve this for 3 days and was too frazzled to think!  Here is the info per your link.
    Quicken:
    Year 2019, Version: R15.18, Build 27.1.15.8 Quicken Premier installed by download
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.345
    Internet Connection:
    Cable - wifi modem

There are a total of 16 funds in the Security List to be downloaded with the Quicken Update.  Only FXAIX does not update.  I have to do it manually by getting NAV and entering into the portfolio table under the Investing tab.

Let me know if you need further info.

Thank you for your assistance.

Bill Worsley

• William Worsley
    edited November 2018

Sorry about the lack of info Harold - I have been trying to solve this for 3 days and was too frazzled to think!  Here is the info per your link.
    Quicken:
    Year 2019, Version: R15.18, Build 27.1.15.8 Quicken Premier installed by download
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.345
    Internet Connection:
    Cable - wifi modem

There are a total of 16 funds in the Security List to be downloaded with the Quicken Update.  Only FXAIX does not update.  I have to do it manually by getting NAV and entering into the portfolio table under the Investing tab.

Let me know if you need further info.

Thank you for your assistance.

Bill Worsley

Harold, one other point of interest.  I do not link any of my accounts to the banking or brokerage firms.  I manually enter the dividends, trades, etc.  I realize the time savings, but feel more comfortable reviewing what is happening by the manual process.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    William,
    please show us the FXAIX entry in the Security List.

Can
    you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Take a look at the security in the Security List. For the quotes to download from Quicken's quote provider, you must have the correct ticker symbol, "Download quotes" must be checked, AND (hold a nonzero share balance OR "Watch List" checked) 

Are these conditions met?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • William Worsley
    edited November 2018
    UKR said:

William,
    please show us the FXAIX entry in the Security List.

Can
    you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

UKR, thanks so much for your input.  I was out of town yesterday but have your info today.  Below is a screen shot from my Security List capturing the entry for Fidelity 500 Index Fund, FXAIX with the download box checked - same as with the other 15 funds which download just fine with the Quote update command.

One other strange thing (perhaps positive) has happened since yesterday regarding this fund, FXAIX, in my Quicken.  Prior to today, when I would hover the cursor over this fund, Fidelity 500 Index Fund (FXAIX) in the "Holdings List" the Fidelity name and symbol WOULD NOT appear - all other fund 15 fund names do appear when hovering over the name.  Now, today, when I hover over FXAIX in the Holdings LIst, the name appears in BOLD just as with all other funds.  See screen grab below:
    It seems like Quicken programming is doing something behind the scenes but I have not had an update to the program.
    I have only captured two funds in this screen grab.  Just for clarity on my issue of FXAIX's price quote not updating, the quote/price shown in the screen shot (97.37) was manually entered by me - I have this fund in 3 different brokerage accounts and entering it in just one brokerage account on the "Portfolio display" from the Investing tab, correctly populates the price for FXAIX in the two other accounts.  The Quote for Fidelity Balanced (22.40) as well as all other 14 funds correctly updated from the Update Quotes command - see screen grab below.

I am available all day to provide other input and screen shots per your suggestions to help resolve this issue.  I will be interested to see when I do the next Quote update tomorrow if by some chance FXAIX updates based on it's name now appearing when I hover over it in the Holding's List - does that fact somehow allow the "handshake" to download the quote?

As an aside, there were a number of strange things that happened in my attempts to get Quicken to correctly display the desired transaction in the original Conversion process of Fideltiy's FUSVX to FXAIX on Nov 2.  [There is a lengthy discussion of this issue in a separate issue on the Quicken Community forum.] For whatever reason, some action by me and others unknown to me(!), they have all been resolved and now the only issue is the failure of FXAIX to update its price.

It will also be interesting to see if Quicken Harold, can provide any insight on this based on the version info I provided to him.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Regards,

Bill Worsley

• William Worsley
    edited November 2018

Take a look at the security in the Security List. For the quotes to download from Quicken's quote provider, you must have the correct ticker symbol, "Download quotes" must be checked, AND (hold a nonzero share balance OR "Watch List" checked) 

Are these conditions met?

Jim - Yes, take a look at the info and screen shots provided above to UKR.

Thanks,  Bill
  • William Worsley
    edited November 2018
    Don't know how you close a question, but I have solved this with the help of Quicken Support.

Regards,

William Worsley
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Glad you were able to resolve.  Would you provide the issue solution for the benefit of others?
  • William Worsley
    edited November 2018
    GeoffG,  here is the process used to correct the "quote download" issue:
    1.  Made a backup of the file to thumb drive
    2.  Go to File > File Operations > Validate and Repair screen - see below (Based on my comments about the issue, the support person determined there must be something "corrupt" in the Investment quotes process, thus this action)

4.  This was a two-step process as we first checked the "Validate File box and clicked OK.  You get a notepad log report but we did nothing with it - closed it out.  Did a quote update and did not solve problem.  Next we checked the "Delete investing price history" box.  Clicked OK and ran this repair process.  Another Notepad log that we closed.  Ran price update and got correct quote for FXAIX.  However, two other quotes were missing.
    5.  Went to the Tools > Security List and checked the funds listed (not hidden funds).  The name and symbol for the two missing funds was not on the list.  Clicked on Hidden funds.  Found those funds in that list and removed the check in hide funds.  Now they appeared in the fund list.
    6.  Did a Quote Update and all current holdings updated with correct price.
    7.  Made a new backup of file.
    8  Updated quotes last night - no problems - all fund quotes updated

Hope this helps.

Do you know how to close out this discussion?  It is no longer "In Progress".

Bill Worsley

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

GeoffG,  here is the process used to correct the "quote download" issue:
    1.  Made a backup of the file to thumb drive
    2.  Go to File > File Operations > Validate and Repair screen - see below (Based on my comments about the issue, the support person determined there must be something "corrupt" in the Investment quotes process, thus this action)

4.  This was a two-step process as we first checked the "Validate File box and clicked OK.  You get a notepad log report but we did nothing with it - closed it out.  Did a quote update and did not solve problem.  Next we checked the "Delete investing price history" box.  Clicked OK and ran this repair process.  Another Notepad log that we closed.  Ran price update and got correct quote for FXAIX.  However, two other quotes were missing.
    5.  Went to the Tools > Security List and checked the funds listed (not hidden funds).  The name and symbol for the two missing funds was not on the list.  Clicked on Hidden funds.  Found those funds in that list and removed the check in hide funds.  Now they appeared in the fund list.
    6.  Did a Quote Update and all current holdings updated with correct price.
    7.  Made a new backup of file.
    8  Updated quotes last night - no problems - all fund quotes updated

Hope this helps.

Do you know how to close out this discussion?  It is no longer "In Progress".

Bill Worsley

I am always EXTREMELY wary of the Delete Investing Price History option among the Validate selections.  That is especially thue because I have close to thirty years of data and price history information covering over 1,000 securities much of which is not recoverable or replaceable through Quicken's Download Historical Prices options.  There are other rebuild paths to get that info back in place, but those paths can be tricky.

Other paths to get around your problem might have been possible. 

Glad you got it worked out satisfactorily.

A moderator can change the status to 'Solved'.  Nothing you can do in that direction. 
This discussion has been closed.