Just downloaded Quicken Deluxe 2019-on Windows 10 Pro, HP Envy x360 laptop. "This app can't run on

Just paid for & downloaded Quicken Deluxe 2019-I have Windows 10 Pro on a HP Envy x360 laptop.Hit run it says "This app can't run on your PC" I see that others have had this issue with Windows Pro 10? I would rather just request a refund from Quicken than have to reload Windows Pro.

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I see that others have had this issue with Windows Pro 10
    Only because when people have problems they post here, and they post which operating system they are using.  Thousands of others using the same operating system had no problem installing Quicken (me included, on three different Window Pro 10 machines).

The first thing I would check is right click on the install program and select Properties -> Compatibility, and make sure nothing is selected (don't try compatibility with older versions of Windows).  Also try right clicking on the install program and selecting to Run as Administrator.
    And also you downloaded it you might want to try downloading it again because it might have got truncated or something.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

Only because when people have problems they post here, and they post which operating system they are using.  Thousands of others using the same operating system had no problem installing Quicken (me included, on three different Window Pro 10 machines).

The first thing I would check is right click on the install program and select Properties -> Compatibility, and make sure nothing is selected (don't try compatibility with older versions of Windows).  Also try right clicking on the install program and selecting to Run as Administrator.
    And also you downloaded it you might want to try downloading it again because it might have got truncated or something.
    You should also try to use this procedure to clean up any old versions of Quicken to get a better chance at a good install:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This error usually occurs when you have Windows 10S.  Did you verify that you actually have Window Pro?
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Did you inadvertently download the Mac version? - both Mac and Win versions are available to download.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• LorettaWPLorettaWP Member
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried both suggestions. The second one Run as Admin worked. Thks. Loretta WP
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

QPW - just curious, why does "Run As Administrator" work for this?  Is it because her user account is not set up as an administrator?  I also ask because I have also seen where using "Run as Administrator" is discouraged for Quicken.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    QPW said:

When you normally do an install it has to be with elevated permissions.  This because the install is going change things that require these permissions like writing to Program Files.  Normally this all happens automatically.  Either you are in an administrator and it can do it in your account (if you have the default User Account Control setting it will prompt you), or if you aren't in an administrator account it will ask for you to log into such an account and elevated the permissions and do the install.

For some reason that I have never understood, sometimes this fails.  It might have something to do with the account.  So the Run as Administrator forces running with these elevated permissions.

What you don't ever want to do is run a "normal program" (like Quicken) with Run as Administrator because you now open the door to allowing that program to use such elevated permissions.