match after accepting

Is there a way to match transactions after I accepted them as new?  My employer moved our retirement program to Vanguard earlier this month.  I downloaded the transactions directly from Vanguard but I missed that two of my contributions were in the downloads, so I accepted them all as new.  Now I have unmatched transfer ins in the Vanguard account that originated from my paycheck.   I'd like to match those cash transactions to the downloaded transactions.

Windows Quicken Premier 2019 27.1.15.18

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The most reliable way to undo changes you made to your data file is to restore a data file backup saved before the changes were made.

Once we've accepted a download transaction as new, if we want to subsequently "match" the accepted downloaded transaction to an existing transaction, we may do so by manually editing the accepted downloaded transaction so that it matches the existing transaction and then removing the existing transaction.  When the existing transaction is a transfer that is part of a transaction matched at the other end, I suggest simply editing the existing transactions appropriately and then removing the accepted downloaded transaction.  Note: The read-only downloaded fields of the existing transaction will remain void.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You may have also neglected to change your paycheck setup to reflect that your contributions are now going to the Vanguard account.  If so, check your old retirement account in Quicken to see if the unmatched contributions went there.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    @Sherlock.  I was hoping there was some secret trick I hadn't learned in the last 20 years of using Quicken :-).  Today's my money day so I do all my books in one swoop including balancing accounts, paying bills.  I knew I should have backed up before adding the account but I thought "what could go wrong".  I'll probably just do some small book-keeping magic since it's just four transactions.  I just like everything neat.

@Rich.  Thanks for the advice.  It was actually the cash balance in the old account that tipped me off to the missing transactions that I added as "new".  I've updated the my paycheck settings to reflect the new account. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

@Sherlock.  I was hoping there was some secret trick I hadn't learned in the last 20 years of using Quicken :-).  Today's my money day so I do all my books in one swoop including balancing accounts, paying bills.  I knew I should have backed up before adding the account but I thought "what could go wrong".  I'll probably just do some small book-keeping magic since it's just four transactions.  I just like everything neat.

@Rich.  Thanks for the advice.  It was actually the cash balance in the old account that tipped me off to the missing transactions that I added as "new".  I've updated the my paycheck settings to reflect the new account. 

To answer the original question directly though.  No you can't "un-accept" them.

What I tend to do in cases like this is just delete the duplicate and go on (fixing any transaction that needs to be fixed).

Interesting enough I notice that the new Quicken Web's "review" system does allow for reversing a decision like that.

Note that what the Quicken Web uses is the automatic transaction entry mode, and "review" system.

As in a transactions comes into the register and its status is New.
    You "review" it and its status goes "blank".

You can actually change its status back to "unreviewed"/New.

What is even more interesting is this is reflected back into Quicken Desktop.

If you are using automatic transaction entry mode and sync it can actually turn the status back to New.

If you aren't using automatic transaction entry mode and sync it will put into the Downloaded Transactions tab.

Of course this will not work in an investment accounts because Quicken Cloud doesn't have investment transactions.

And of course you have to risk Quicken Cloud syncing messing up your data file in some other way (I don't trust it with anything other than a test data file)
This discussion has been closed.