My decimal has shifted in manually input investment transactions

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Running QW Deluxe R 15.18, build 27.1.15.18. I just noticed yesterday that for one specific fund on investment transactions that I entered manually over the past 30 months have had the decimals shifted. For example: he number of shares bought has shifted left. (13.09 becomes 1.309) and purchase price shifted right (9.828 becomes 98.28). This was done for all transactions for this particular fund.

I read another post where transactions were downloaded, and QW "decided" to shift the decimals. These were entered manually.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I suspect the mutual fund has had a 10 : 1 split and you're looking at lots (not transactions).
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Are these all the transactions for this fund, or did it start on a particular date and the ones prior to that are OK?

I am thinking that there might be a 10:1 split, share class conversion, acquisition, or something in this security that might account for the discrepancy. It might be in a different account than the one you are viewing.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    No split. The decimal Chang goes all the way back to the very first buy. So basically QW shows I own only 10% of what I actually own. I verified everything against my online broker acct.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    What type of security is it, and when did you purchase it?  Also how many transactions have you had since you purchased it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    It's a Fidelity stock based Mutual fund. I've owned it for about 30 months. I've had at least 60 transactions since then. The decimal issue goes all the way back to the first transaction.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    R M said:

It's a Fidelity stock based Mutual fund. I've owned it for about 30 months. I've had at least 60 transactions since then. The decimal issue goes all the way back to the first transaction.

Several Fidelity funds had 10:1 splits a month or so ago ... so ALL of your transactions for that fund would have been adjusted up by 10 ... as the price was reduced by 10x.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    R M said:

That is very strange.  I've heard of prices doing this, but not shares or units.  If there was no split or corporate action, shares should not have changed without some sort of action or transaction being done.  Quicken itself cannot change shares on a security.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    R M said:

There was a split.

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    R M said:

NotACPA - my response was to the OP.  He had indicated that there wasn't a split.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    R M said:

He had indicated that there wasn't a split.
    He is, quite simply, wrong. 

A number of Fido's funds have split recently.  The OP needs to go to Fido's website to get more info.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    R M said:

If you haven't already, you may want to review: 

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/mutual-funds/mf-share-splits_apr2...

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/mutual-funds/Fidelity-lower-expen...
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This appears to be a case where the OP is entering the transactions manually and has not entered the split yet but the price history is coming from Quicken's quote provider, which has caused a hidden split in the price history. Perhaps there have been no transactions since the split on 5/11 or 8/10, depending on the fund.

How should he handle this, apart from entering the split on the appropriate date?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

This appears to be a case where the OP is entering the transactions manually and has not entered the split yet but the price history is coming from Quicken's quote provider, which has caused a hidden split in the price history. Perhaps there have been no transactions since the split on 5/11 or 8/10, depending on the fund.

How should he handle this, apart from entering the split on the appropriate date?

He should just enter the split manually using the appropriate date.  It's very simple to do using the Stock Split Transaction.  I think the consensus here is that it is a 10:1 split.

To verify the stock split date, he could go into price history and double check when the price first changed by 1/10.

But if he still maintains that there was no stock split, then I am at a loss to how to help him.
This discussion has been closed.