subscription purchase for 2018

Umesh PatelUmesh Patel Member
edited December 2018 in Before you Buy
Hi,

I purchase subscription and register my product for 2 years i.e. until 2020. I bought again Quickn 2018 with 2 year subscription. Will  my subscription extend from 2020 to 2022?

Comments

• Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yes it will, see this support page for details:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-e...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R22.12 on Windows 10 Pro v1903
  • PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Dan,
    I read the info at the link you offered but didn't understand the first paragraph.  So.... I will try and ask my question more directly.

I am currently running QW2016 Premier which according to the Quicken website; expires Apr 30th 2019.

In my drawer I have an Amazon purchase 2 yr membership (+3 Months) Quicken Deluxe.  I have not activated that license. yet.

My Question ...

If I activate today will that subscription expire
    • 27 months from todays activation
    • 27 months from Apr 30 2109
    • some other date.

• Umesh PatelUmesh Patel Member
    edited November 2018
    It will be 27 months from the day you activate the subscription. 
    edited November 2018

Hi Dan,
    I read the info at the link you offered but didn't understand the first paragraph.  So.... I will try and ask my question more directly.

I am currently running QW2016 Premier which according to the Quicken website; expires Apr 30th 2019.

In my drawer I have an Amazon purchase 2 yr membership (+3 Months) Quicken Deluxe.  I have not activated that license. yet.

My Question ...

• some other date.

The 27 months will be added onto the end of your existing subscription, so will start from Apr 30 2019. However, because you are "downgrading" from Premier to Deluxe your subscription will change to Deluxe immediately, and you will receive some credit for the fact that Deluxe is cheaper than Premier.

So the answer is "some other date" :-). Exactly which date will depend on how much time credit you get for the downgrade.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Dan, I think you've got that wrong. @PutterFlutters is NOT currently on a subscription with Quicken 2016. We often refer to it on this forum as being "like" a subscription, because it has an expiration date, but it is completely unconnected to the subscription service that Quicken launched a year ago. Therefore, if @PutterFlutters activates the subscription today, it will expire 27 months from today; it will not get added onto Quicken 2016's end-of-service date. Additionally, there is no credit for downgrading from Premier to Deluxe. The subscription purchased was for 27 months of Deluxe; no credit is given for not "using up" Quicken 2016 Premier.

That all said, what Dan says would be accurate if you were already on a subscription: purchasing/activating a new subscription purchase will simply add onto an existing subscription. And downgrading or upgrading within the product lineup will generate a credit or charge if you're on a subscription.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

@Dan, I think you've got that wrong. @PutterFlutters is NOT currently on a subscription with Quicken 2016. We often refer to it on this forum as being "like" a subscription, because it has an expiration date, but it is completely unconnected to the subscription service that Quicken launched a year ago. Therefore, if @PutterFlutters activates the subscription today, it will expire 27 months from today; it will not get added onto Quicken 2016's end-of-service date. Additionally, there is no credit for downgrading from Premier to Deluxe. The subscription purchased was for 27 months of Deluxe; no credit is given for not "using up" Quicken 2016 Premier.

That all said, what Dan says would be accurate if you were already on a subscription: purchasing/activating a new subscription purchase will simply add onto an existing subscription. And downgrading or upgrading within the product lineup will generate a credit or charge if you're on a subscription.

You are correct, apologies to you and Putterflutters, I misread his message as having a current subscription . I will delete my misleading comment.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Hi Dan,

My Question ...

• some other date.

PutterFlutters
    Since QW2016 is not a subscription, the Amazon purchase will be activated when you register your purchase with Quicken. So you could wait until Apr 2019 when QW2016 ends then register/activate your 27 month subscription to maximize your time.

BTW, if you purchase directly from Quicken.com, they activate the subscription immediately; not so with third party purchases.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited November 2018

Hi Dan,

My Question ...

• some other date.

Thanks  :-)
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Thank you both  :-)
    edited November 2018

Hi Dan,

My Question ...

• some other date.

ywc :-)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

:-)

edited November 2018

I tried to activate using code but it says wait until Nov 1st 2019. Would you please advise how can add this code into my account?
    edited November 2018

@Umesh Patel: The activation codes are designed to be able to be added to an existing subscription. It's possible, though, that they won't allow you to stack more than two years of subscriptions together. So you might need to wait until you have one year or less remaining on your subscription -- which is what the November 1, 2019 date suggests to me -- before you can add your next activation code. The good thing is that the code won't go back; you'll just need to keep track of it somewhere so you can enter it a years from now.

I'm not 100% certain this is what you've run into, so if you want to verify why you can't add to your subscription now, you should contact Quicken Support.
    edited November 2018

Yes, I contacted after posting here, it is 6 month before you can add another code for extension, unfortunately not documented anywhere. 
    edited November 2018

Well, the good thing is that the second subscription you purchased does not diminish in value; you just have to keep track of the validation code ad enter it next year. (Consider putting it in the memo field of the transaction where you purchased Quicken, if that's a place you'd think to look in the future.)
This discussion has been closed.