QWin 2017: google drive locks quicken data file

I have used Google drive for years so I can access my Quicken files from multiple computers. To backup I have had to pause Google drive because two programs cannot access the same file at the same time (logical). Now I know this technically isn't Quicken's issue but they have changed their program so that it locks down my quicken file when I try to backup and the only way I can backup is to log out of my computer and log back in. They think it is a Quicken issue. Does anyone have a clue how to stop it from locking down my file? (Quicken for window 2017. win 10)

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are two solutions and you have named one, pause Google drive.
    The other is to take your data file out of Google drive.  It is OK to have the backups there, but not the data file you open in Quicken.

I do believe that Quicken Inc should change the way they are doing the locking of their data file, but until they do (or if they do), those are your only choices.
  • edited November 2018
    That worked. Thanks
  • edited November 2018
    Doug, I just noticed that you Me-too'd this thread. Since I posed this I have discovered a solution which works 99.9% of the time. If you have Microsoft's One Drive you can put your working files in the One Drive folder and  the issue disappears (mostly). Only rarely do I get that issue using One Drive. It is infrequent enough now that is is just a minor annoyance.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Quicken still doesn't recommend storing your data file on a network drive.

https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox

"Services such as OneDrive or Google Drive can be used as a location to store backups of your Quicken data files.  We don't recommend storing your active data files, or installing Quicken, on these drives.  If you restore a backup that is located in your cloud drive, make certain the restored file is saved locally on your hard drive before using the file."
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • edited November 2018
    That is the way both OneDrive and Google Drive work. TheY leave local copies or your computer. Or at least that is the case for non- Microsoft apps in OneDriv.e By Default OneDrive deletes the local file for MS Apps. So I guess the word for the wise is to check your settings.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

That is the way both OneDrive and Google Drive work. TheY leave local copies or your computer. Or at least that is the case for non- Microsoft apps in OneDriv.e By Default OneDrive deletes the local file for MS Apps. So I guess the word for the wise is to check your settings.

I'm not sure you aware of why they have made the recommendation not to store your data file in a "cloud folder".

First off this is actually an "extension" of the policy not to support network drives, which in fact is different.

The problem with storing data on a network drive stems from two problems.  One by definition you don't even really know the underline network system since it can be using lots of different protocols, the hardware can be very reliable or not all, and the other machine might can be running many different operating systems.

The second problem is that for it to work properly locks have to be used properly and reliably.  Not all implementations of network locks fit that description.

Quicken was written assuming a local disk drive with 100% reliability.  There isn't any "error correcting".  So if the write to a network drive fails in any way you might end up with a corrupted data file.

For "cloud folders" Quicken's data file is on a local drive so this isn't a problem.

But there are two other possible problems, one dealing with the locks I have already mentioned and another if another program "gets too smart".

Quicken uses a database in its data file.  Databases can be in inconsistent states at times, you can't make copies of them at arbitrary times.  Any program that uses Windows "shadow copy" can get an inconsistent copy of Quicken's data file.  So the first rule is that whether it be a cloud service or a backup program they have to honor the lock that Quicken puts on its data file and not make a copy of it when it is locked.

But the problem that people mostly report on here has to do with other programs using that same locking system.

At times Quicken will release the lock it has on the data file, but expects to be able to get it back whenever it wants.

When you start a backup in Quicken, or copy the data file, or do Validate & Repair, Quicken closes the data file, releasing the lock, but then turns around and wants to open it again, and it expects to get that lock.  If it can't it reports that it can't open the data file.

Well the cloud service programs, and real time backup programs are waiting for Quicken to release that lock, and when they see that, they lock it so that they can make their copy.  And in the case of a big data file on a slow Internet connection that can be quite a long time.  But in reality it doesn't it doesn't matter since Quicken's attempt reopen the data file would probably be a second or so.

Now personally I think the Quicken developer could do better and hold a lock on the data file even while closing it and reopening it for these purposes, but that isn't the case right now.  So people will come and complain about the open errors, and the only thing we as other users can do is steer them away from storing their data file in a cloud folder.

Which is very ironic when you consider Microsoft encourages users to store their Documents folder in OneDrive, and Quicken default location to store the Quicken data file is in Documents\Quicken.

BTW different cloud services work differently, and have changed over time.
    At one point OneDrive did do shadow copies, and as such was one of the cloud services that would corrupt Quicken data files.  They now honor the lock, and use a lock themselves.

OneDrive also sends the whole data file every time any change is made.
    Dropbox also honor/uses locks, but sends only the changes.

But I should also mention the greatest risk to a corrupted data file or at least lost work is if there is more that one person with access to a copy of that data file, and might be using it at the same time.  There isn't any way those two copies can be merged successfully.  Not to mention if the people involved are using Quicken Cloud syncing too.
  • edited November 2018

That is what I understand how it works. But I think you did a good job making it clear for everyone what is going on
  • My work around is to use a batch file to rename the quicken data file, rename it back, and then and start Quicken, with a delay of a few seconds between renaming and starting Quicken, depending on the speed of your computer, you might need to adjust the Timeout wait seconds. Create a shortcut to the Batch files, so you can change the icon.

rename "D:\PATH\QUICKEN_Date_File.qdf" "QUICKEN_Date_File_Renamed.qdf"
    Timeout 7
    rename "D:\PATH\QUICKEN_Date_File_Renamed.qdf" "QUICKEN_Date_File.qdf"
    Timeout 1
    Start "" /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe"
    exit 

This discussion has been closed.