How can I find someone local (Atlanta GA) to export Quicken for Mac?

Unknown
Unknown Member
Hi,

I inherited several Quicken for Mac files on a USB stick. I am a Windows PC / MS Excel person; the Mac is gone, I've never had Quicken, and I don't want to buy and learn the PC version all just to export three files.

All I need is for someone with Quicken for Mac to export it to CSV or Excel and I'll be good to go. I see how to do it here. Should take all of 5 minutes.

I am in the Atlanta GA area.

The files are from 2015 to 2017, but I don't know what version(s) they had.

Ideas, anyone? 

Thanks if you can help!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    If you can open the the USB stick and check what the file extension (the part after the period) is, that might tell us what version of Quicken Mac you'd need.

Beyond that, this forum makes it hard to get in touch with anyone directly. Be advise to be very cautious if you get an email claiming to be some form of quicken support. Those posts on this site are all scams trying to steal your money or data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks very much for the reply and the warning, RickO ...

Now that you mention it, I see that the directories made for each year actually have a specific year in their name. For example, in the 2015 folder, instead of folder just called "Balances", it says "Balances.quicken2015". Deeper down I can see, e.g., "modelPieces/BaseModel/com.intuit.Quicken.2015.ModelBundle". All the dots are unusual for a Windows folder name; I hope it makes Mac sense.

But as for a specific file extension, I'm not sure what to provide... there are lots of empty directories ("attachments", "calendars", "taxes"). The Balances.quicken2015 folder has an actual file called simply "data" (no extension; 740 KB). The ModelBundle folder has a file called "ModelBundle 12.mom". In other folders, also see "HoldingsAndBalances 7.mom" and  "CashFlowModel 7.mom". It's quite a mess to the untrained eye (but of course, Windows software can have complex data folders and file structures, too.)

The Quicken folders for each of the other two years (2016 and 2017) seem to have very similar structures to the above above, except that for 2016, the folder names all have "2016" (not 2015) in them, and for 2017, have "2017". 

Sounds like either the software was updated to latest version each year. Or else, Quicken simply makes folder names based on the current date?? However, the work in each folder was actually done in the beginning of the following year. (For example, in the .quicken2017 folder, the file called simply "data" is dated Feb. 2018, etc.)

Does this help? Is there something more specific I can look for? Of course, Quicken (the app itself) is not on the USB stick.

Thanks for your help! It's frustrating that this could have been handled so easily if it were exported already. Instead, I have to spend hours over many days trying to accomplish what probably could've been done in minutes.

Anyway, your advice is greatly appreciated.

• RickO
    edited November 2018

Now that you mention it, I see that the directories made for each year actually have a specific year in their name. For example, in the 2015 folder, instead of folder just called "Balances", it says "Balances.quicken2015". Deeper down I can see, e.g., "modelPieces/BaseModel/com.intuit.Quicken.2015.ModelBundle". All the dots are unusual for a Windows folder name; I hope it makes Mac sense.

But as for a specific file extension, I'm not sure what to provide... there are lots of empty directories ("attachments", "calendars", "taxes"). The Balances.quicken2015 folder has an actual file called simply "data" (no extension; 740 KB). The ModelBundle folder has a file called "ModelBundle 12.mom". In other folders, also see "HoldingsAndBalances 7.mom" and  "CashFlowModel 7.mom". It's quite a mess to the untrained eye (but of course, Windows software can have complex data folders and file structures, too.)

The Quicken folders for each of the other two years (2016 and 2017) seem to have very similar structures to the above above, except that for 2016, the folder names all have "2016" (not 2015) in them, and for 2017, have "2017". 

Sounds like either the software was updated to latest version each year. Or else, Quicken simply makes folder names based on the current date?? However, the work in each folder was actually done in the beginning of the following year. (For example, in the .quicken2017 folder, the file called simply "data" is dated Feb. 2018, etc.)

Does this help? Is there something more specific I can look for? Of course, Quicken (the app itself) is not on the USB stick.

Thanks for your help! It's frustrating that this could have been handled so easily if it were exported already. Instead, I have to spend hours over many days trying to accomplish what probably could've been done in minutes.

Here's what you're seeing. What you see as the folder "Balances.quicken2015" is actually the Quicken file. On the Mac, the Quicken file is actually a special kind of folder that is made to look like a file on the Mac (called a package). When you view it on a PC, it reveals the folder contents which the Mac user typically can't see. The contents below the folder ending in ".Quicken20xx" are the structure of the "file" that Quicken uses. The part after the ".', eg .Quicken2015 indicates that the file was generated using the 2015 version of the program. The current version (2019) can read those all the way back to 2015.

In order to hand these off to a Mac person, you would want to zip the folders ending in .Quicken20xx. So you'd end up with zip files named, for example, Balances.quicken2015.zip. 

How to get this done might depend on the sensitivity of this data. I'd be willing to do this for you (it wouldn't take long at all), but I'm not sure how to get the files to me since we have no direct message ability on this forum. I suppose you could put them in a shared Dropbox folder and post a link. But of course, that would open them up for everybody to see. Not sure what to suggest. Let me think about it and see if I can come up with something else.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

That would be great! If you can figure out a way.

Of course I could put them in a Google Drive link that anybody could download ... but like you say, I wouldn't want to make that public. While it's not particularly sensitive data, still, it's family info. So I wouldn't want to share it with everybody who reads this thread. :-) Or I could password-protect it ... but would have to say the password. Same problem.

Hmm.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Are you on any other service or board where you don't mind sharing your screen name there, where I could private message you? 
  • RickO
    edited November 2018

I'm a moderator on forums.wyzecam.com. Same user name. Let me know as soon as you see this. And tell me your username there so I can unlock restrictions on PMs.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Got it! You can delete that now if you want.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Hmm ... apparently you have to have an account with that company already ... you can't simply sign up to get on the message board? There's only a place to "Log In", nowhere to "Sign Up".

Curses, foiled again  :-) 

Maybe you could make a little account there? Although that's a long shot. I'm also on Reddit and Wikipedia. Though would prefer not to say my screen names there, here. 

Are you able to delete your previous message (above)? From what I can tell, we can only edit or remove our post if it's the very last one. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

I see you can delete your posts and mine. If you're watching right now, I can make a link to a little file with my username on something like Reddit. Then you could contact me there, and also delete this message on this board. Then we can private-message on Reddit with something more real, or just a download link.Or you could do something similar (send me a little download link with your name on some board I can get into).
  • RickO
    edited November 2018

Sorry. Go to www.wyze.com and create an account there (register). Then use those credentials to sign into their forum.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

got it. you can delete that.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    Martin, should you not find a way around the limitations of this forum, you could do this instead: find a friend who has a Mac, purchase a one-year subscription to Quicken 2019, install it, open each older file and export what you need -- and within 30 days of purchase, you can get a full refund from Quicken. It might take you less time than all the messaging here and sending files back and forth with someone. Just a thought.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Martin, should you not find a way around the limitations of this forum, you could do this instead: find a friend who has a Mac, purchase a one-year subscription to Quicken 2019, install it, open each older file and export what you need -- and within 30 days of purchase, you can get a full refund from Quicken. It might take you less time than all the messaging here and sending files back and forth with someone. Just a thought.

Thanks @jacobs... we got it figured out.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

I understand what Jacobs is saying.  What this person is trying to do, and the way he's going about it, seems a little  suspect.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Thanks jacobs ... yes, RickO is helping out. 

He's the best!

I spent the past week:

1) Looking at the raw files on my PC. Pretty baffling... I've never seen Mac file structures before, anyway. Very weird, with all the hidden .* files.

I noticed there's a little SQLite signature at the beginning of each "data" file. Was hoping I wouldn't have to figure out SQLite ...

2) Scoured Google for conversion. Apparently QfM is it's own special dataset. 

Hoped I wouldn't have to buy, install, and learn Quicken for Windows just for three tiny files ... it also wasn't even clear whether Quicken for Windows could read QfM files.

Didn't want to buy a Mac just for this either. :)

3) Posted a message asking if anybody had QfM in nearby neighborhoods, on NextDoor. No response.

4) Called an H&R Block near me to see if maybe they use Quicken for Mac. They said No and in hindsight, that wasn't going to work ... professional accountants don't use Quicken, they use much more extensive suites.

5) Cast around the net looking for a QfM community. Found this one. Made account. Posted a message, hoping to find someone local.

Which would start another round of negotiations (arrangement to meet, etc.), if I did.

Your idea helps, jacobs, but I don't know anybody with a Mac in my close circles. So I would've had to cast around there. And still buy, install, and learn QfM ... all on somebody else's Mac.

All because the original QfM maker had not exported three little files.

But it looks like RickO is going to save the day. Thanks SO much, guy!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Thanks Simon ... what can I say. My request was to find someone local. They would see the real me (since it would probably involve me going to their house in person). And would see the files. The situation is easy to lay out. I wouldn't want to reveal family stuff here, though.

Past that, the fact remains that it's a real chore to get QfM files to a PC, if you're a Windows person that doesn't have a Mac, Quicken for Mac, or even Quicken for Windows. You only have the QfM files, period.

I gather from the responses that what I concluded is true - it is a bear to convert QfM files if you don't have QfM. So I looked for people with QfM locally who could help. Where better to ask than on the QfM forum?
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Martin, no matter what story you give, no one here on this forum would really know if it was legit or not.  I would never give anyone access to financial data, unless they could prove they have a right to see it.  We cannot do that here.  It is my opinion that you are very lucky that you found someone on this forum that would help you extract files that you may or may not have a right to see.  There are ways to go about these things legally.  So no matter what story you give, no one should have given you access to those files without the legal right to do so and proof of your identity and rights to that information.
This discussion has been closed.