Variable amount due

Options
When you have for example, a utility bill, where the payment per month varies, but I want to put it in "Bill Reminder", is there some sort of wildcard I can put in there? It won't let me put it in unless I give an amount, which is unknown month to month. 

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Have you considered using an average value?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi @ gc ,

Just put in a fixed figure. When it comes up as due, simply edit the Amount to be paid. You just want to be reminded on a fixed date each month.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

Thats what I put in for now. I know this is minor but really like to take the guess work out. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @ gc ,

Just put in a fixed figure. When it comes up as due, simply edit the Amount to be paid. You just want to be reminded on a fixed date each month.

I know I guess I am asking more of the software! I am just trying to put it on cruise control and without auto-updates and mortgage having to put in manually, just a little more than I feel I can keep up with. I thought the windows version allowed me to do all this. Thank you!!
  • KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @ gc ,

I'm not sure why putting in a single fixed amount, versus a blank amount, feels like extra work. For most variable amount bills, like utilities, the amounts are not so drastically different that using Quicken's built-in previous bill average feature won't get you close. If it's a bill you've made at least 12 monthly payments on, you can also get Quicken to estimate an amount based on time-of-year data.

Quicken gives you just about everything you need for bill reminders - it's not clear what else you're looking for. If you're not interested in tracking an amount, then I don't think Quicken is the right program to use - after all, that's what it's intended for.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

One tip since I know you are new to this-for scheduled transactions where the bill "varies", when you find out the actual amount, double click the reminder and choose the (first) "Mark as Paid" option. This will take you to the transaction that will get posted, and you can enter the correct amount. (When you double click the transaction, you can click on the actual amount to bring direct focus on that field.

If you click the "Paid" or "Deposited" icon on the lower toolbar, this will post the transaction immediately without the ability to edit. That is fine for transactions that don't vary.
  • Aaron Martin
    Aaron Martin Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mshiggins said:

I agree with the poster on this.  I am currently migrating from Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2019 on the Mac.  For variable amount bills, I would schedule some generic amount and Quicken 2007 would prompt for the amount when you selected the bill to pay.  From what I can see Quicken 2019 requires two or three more clicks.  You end up editing the series every time instead of once and then just adjusting the value when it's time to pay.  Feels far less intuitive than the older version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mshiggins said:

It would be helpful if there were a checkbox next to the amount field to indicate the amount varies. If it varies, Q would use this amount for the projected balance feature. But when it's time for the reminder, Q would specifically ask for an amount for that TXN.

I have a bunch of TXNs that are fixed amounts with a few that vary. I'd much rather not have to hunt through all the reminders looking for the ones that I have to edit.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mshiggins said:

You may want to add your VOTE to:Add Ability to Edit First Transaction in Bill Reminder (Schedule Transactions) Series Without Changing the RestFirst, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance). Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @ gc ,

Quicken used to have a feature where a scheduled bill could be predefined as the average of the previous three instances of the bill.  This was FANTASTIC and I *miss* this. 

Truth be told, I'm coming back into Quicken after a several year hiatus.   I used to be a whiz at Quicken; had SUCH tight control of my finances (then twins were born and everything went way south).  But Quicken 2019 after Quicken 2014 is SO unintuitive.  I'm a software product manager with an emphasis in user experience, and this product REALLY needs work.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @ gc ,

Are you talking about QWin or QMac? There never was a 2014 version for QMac.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.