Filter Columns in Register

I would like to see the ability to actually filter each column specifically in the register. You could click on the register heading to sort. But you could also click inside and type text to filter for that column specifically.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You can. Use the live search field at the upper right. You can constrain you search to individual columns by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search field.
  • MattMatt Member
    edited September 2018
    OK, well I wasn't aware of the column constraint.

I still think this would be a useful addition to make it very obvious and intuitive on the filtering.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I like this idea because, rather than filtering just one column, it would let you filter multiple columns at the same time. For example, it would be easy to search for clothing (Category) purchased at Target (Payee).
  • John KeatingJohn Keating Member
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

I like this idea because, rather than filtering just one column, it would let you filter multiple columns at the same time. For example, it would be easy to search for clothing (Category) purchased at Target (Payee).

Yes - QM2007 achieved this by letting you customize any report to filter on multiple fields using flexible matching selectors. This is much needed, lo these 12 years later.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    You can achieve this type of filtering using a report instead or export your transactions to Excel which has column filtering already built-in.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Rich M said:

You can achieve this type of filtering using a report instead or export your transactions to Excel which has column filtering already built-in.

Using a report works in some cases, but the Transaction report doesn't allow filtering of all columns (memo, for example). Excel works, but it's a bunch of steps to get there and not everybody is Excel-savvy enough to do this without a learning curve.
  • MattMatt Member
    edited January 22
    This suggestion was meant to help improve the useability of the product. It was not intended to suggest that the end capability doesn’t exist.

Is there a way to achieve this with the current software? Yes. Would adding this capability make the user experience easier and more intuitive? I think that would be a yes.

If you think this feature would be useful, then please vote for it. But if you don’t think it is useful, then ignore it.

I’m concerned that a few advanced users, John & Rich, are arguing that it’s not necessary because there are other ways to achieve a similar end result. For the vast majority of users, we don’t know or have the time to figure this out. But all the developers see is the advanced user replies. So they think there’s no need for this.

I appreciate the pointers to help me get the end result I’m looking for. But since I posted this under Ideas, it was meant as a product inprovement idea, not a question about how to do it.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    Matt said:

This suggestion was meant to help improve the useability of the product. It was not intended to suggest that the end capability doesn’t exist.

Is there a way to achieve this with the current software? Yes. Would adding this capability make the user experience easier and more intuitive? I think that would be a yes.

If you think this feature would be useful, then please vote for it. But if you don’t think it is useful, then ignore it.

I’m concerned that a few advanced users, John & Rich, are arguing that it’s not necessary because there are other ways to achieve a similar end result. For the vast majority of users, we don’t know or have the time to figure this out. But all the developers see is the advanced user replies. So they think there’s no need for this.

I appreciate the pointers to help me get the end result I’m looking for. But since I posted this under Ideas, it was meant as a product inprovement idea, not a question about how to do it.

I understand what you're saying. I didn't note that this was an Idea post, my bad.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

btw - another way to implement this might be to take the approach Apple Mail does (and I'm sure other apps) with its search field which is similar to the one in Quicken. But where Quicken only allows one selector, in Apple Mail you can stack selectors to filter on multiple criteria simultaneously.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

I think that is what RickO was suggesting.  ;-)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

Yes but OP suggested having a filter entry field in each column so wanted to suggest sticking with the current, simpler UI but expanding its functionality. I'm sure the dev/designers will come up with an elegant solution though. :)

Actually, that makes me wonder if they have dedicated UX designers on QM or if it's just the devs.