Quicken Bill Pay enrollment

Old GuyOld Guy Member
edited January 26 in Paying Bills (Windows)
Instructions or communications from Bill Pay seem lacking.  I've signed up for Bill Pay with all the newly required passwords etc as requested other than my general quicken account.  After giving the bank, routing number as needed the instruction indicated within 2-3 business days I'd confirm small deposits to confirm the use of my bank.

Nowhere was there any indication that the additional security measures of providing my driver licence, utility bill, etc., was indicated while signing in.  Did I miss this?  

So far from my initial sign-up on July 2nd until today my account still indicates pending.  I can understand and appreciate the security measures, but a better or more accurate time frame while signing up would have been far much beneficial for paying bills in the meantime.  

Customer service remains somewhat helpful to clarify twice.  Seems this has been set up with a third party with folks from Singapore.  I'd suggest the process be better described in the online articles or initial discussions.

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Old Guy,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and experience with activating the new Quicken Bill Pay account for use with Quicken 2018 and apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced throughout this process.

The Quicken Bill Pay service is provided and operated by a third party company named "Metavante" and if the account is not immediately approved, it can take up to 15 business days for the approval process to be completed (Bill Pay Questions)however it seems that we are little beyond that timeframe.  Please let us know if the activation has been completed or if your bill pay account status is still pending.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • TimIsbellTimIsbell Member
    edited August 2018
    I was in about the same boat as Old Guy but I finally see light at the end of the tunnel. I have one bank account fully registered and successfully paid a couple of bills. I am in the middle of registering the second checking account. The setup process is cumbersome, and I expect a good bit of this is that QBP has to meet stricter security requirements than years ago when we signed up on the old system. One step I stumbled on in each round is that after logging into my new QBP account and thinking I set up a new bank, I waited a couple of weeks for the microdeposits that never came. So I called the helpline, 877.486.8844, and they were able to sort things out. In both instances, I had missed an email from QBP asking me to fax or mail a voided copy of a check from that account I was trying to register. I use Gmail, and Google had put it in one of my secondary tabs and I just missed it. After searching for it in Gmail, it popped right up. 

So... it's cumbersome to set up, but it's possible. And the folks on the helpline were patient with me and quite helpful. After dialing in I had to wander through their answering machine tree several steps, but finally it told me what to press to get a live person. By now I've probably talked with half a dozen of those live persons, and they've all be competent and helpful in getting me through the maze.
  • edited January 27
    I bought 2018 Quicken Premier for Windows (upgrading from Deluxe) because they said it included Quicken Bill Pay.  That was maybe a month ago.  I heard nothing further from Quicken or any of their contractors for Bill Pay.  I called and they said they had been swamped with new orders for QBP, causing delay, sorry, but I'd bee seeing two micro-deposits to my checking account "soon."  I've not received them.  They did give me detailed instructions of how to make the switch from my bank's online banking and bill pay (which works with Quicken) when and if I'd ever get the two micro-deposits.  Time passed and, frustrated, I today found a conversation here where folks are complaining bitterly about QBP and the sub-contractor providing it.  I think I was mis-led into signing up for Premier under the (apparently inaccurate) representation that I'd be getting QBP for free (free, maybe, but did I get QBP?  NO!!!), thus avoiding my bank's $9.95/mo charge for online banking and bill pay.  Sounds like I'd be better off sticking with my bank (which I have, so far, anyway).  What is the best way to deal with this?  Ask Quicken to refund the difference and go back to Deluxe?  Help!
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Agreed, this is very poor service.  I've forwarded your concerns to someone at Quicken to look into this.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    David, if one of the Quicken moderators here doesn't reply or can't do anything about this, you might want to try contacting Quicken Support (chat or phone) and telling them you'd like to downgrade from Premier to Deluxe and get a refund (or extension?) for the difference in cost, due to their third party provider of Quicken Bill Pay not being able to fulfill your order. (Editing to add that Quicken Support is closed on Thanksgiving.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just to be clear, you should be following the instructions provided here: https://www.quicken.com/support/sign-quicken-bill-pay  

So, if you haven't already, you should enroll to create and activate your Quicken Bill Pay account at: Quicken Bill Pay website

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited January 26
    Thanks GeoffG, jacobs, and Sherlock! 

GeoffG, it is nice to hear that someone agrees with me that this is poor service and thanks for trying to "raise" someone at Quicken (though apparently a separate business unit, QBP, handles this instead of Quicken themselves, and to further complicate matters, QBP uses a third-party subcontractor). 

jacobs, I am inclined to do exactly as you said.  Even if I were able to wake up someone in Quicken to get my order fulfilled, this ordeal already has undermined my confidence in QBP and their subcontractor enough that it seems better to forget about QBP and instead just keep on paying my bank $10/mo for their online bill pay service, which has worked well for years.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  You get what you pay for; QBP was supposed to be "free" upon upgrading to Premier; I now see that QBP's service is worth that "free" ($0) price (i.e., QBP's service is non-existent and worthless).  I upgraded to Premier from Deluxe, paying an incremental amount over the Deluxe price.  It seemed like a good deal (I'd save $10/mo ($120/year) that I pay my bank), if QBP service worked, but it doesn't.  I wonder if the marketing executive at Quicken who rolled out this offer knows how bad the implementation is.  

Sherlock, I looked at the website you mentioned, but found nothing helpful to my particular situation.  Also, Quicken told me about two weeks ago to wait for two micro-deposits that they said were coming to my checking account before switching, in Quicken software, my provider of online payments from SunTrust to QBP.  No micro-deposits have come weeks after I bought Premier.  I think it is time for me to follow jacobs' advice.  I feel entitled to a refund of the incremental cost of Premier over Deluxe.    

Like many in this forum, I've used Quicken for centuries and I really like the software.  If I didn't, I'd have quit after my first 100 years with them.  I buy every new release as soon as it is available (there really is no choice if you want to try to stay sane, and Quicken probably knows that).  I've usually had good tech support from Quicken.  But the execution of this offer of "free" QBP for upgrading to Premier has been botched.  Quicken is responsible, along with QBP and the subcontractor.  I plan to keep using Quicken software, but not QBP.  I expected better from Quicken.  
    edited January 27
    Have you considered a different bank?  I'm not suggesting this to bail on your current bank or excuse QBP, only to offer alternatives.  There are some banks (perhaps fewer each passing day) that offer free bill pay service with direct connect.  PNC (my bank) is such a bank.  I don't know if I'm grandfathered in or if it and others still offer bill pay free, but it might be something to consider.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    edited January 27
    Just to clarify, Quicken really has nothing to do with Quicken Bill Pay, other than making their applications interface with this service. The service is run by a separate company, Metavante. Those are the only two parties involved.

You’d think Quicken could exert some influence on Metavante about their less-than-stellar customer service, but that doesn’t seem to be the case from the comments I’ve read on this site over the years. Metavante is a very large company providing a wide range of services in the financial services industry — Metavante has multiple services and divisions, and is owned by Fidelity National Information Services — so I’d guess Quicken Bill Pay is a very small piece of what they do.
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Just to clarify, Quicken really has nothing to do with Quicken Bill Pay, other than making their applications interface with this service. The service is run by a separate company, Metavante. Those are the only two parties involved.

You’d think Quicken could exert some influence on Metavante about their less-than-stellar customer service, but that doesn’t seem to be the case from the comments I’ve read on this site over the years. Metavante is a very large company providing a wide range of services in the financial services industry — Metavante has multiple services and divisions, and is owned by Fidelity National Information Services — so I’d guess Quicken Bill Pay is a very small piece of what they do.

"Quicken really has nothing to do with Quicken Bill Pay".. I'm not saying you are wrong, I know nothing about QBP.  However, the manner in which Quicken has made QBP front and center when establishing a bill payer provider, I can only assume they have a financial gain.  I recently setup a new data file and needed to reestablish all existing accounts.  Setting up the bill payer service with my existing bank was an expedition!  I think it has been intentionally buried in the software to promote QBP.
    edited November 2018
    jacobs said:

Geoff, I was only clarifying David's comment above mine in which he referred to three different entities of Quicken, a separate business called Quicken Bill Pay, and a subcontracted service. There are, I believe, only two parties: Quicken and Metavante, which run the Quicken Bill Pay service. 
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks, GeoffG and jacobs!  You've both given me good options to consider.

GeoffG:  I'll consider a different bank that (like PNC) does not charge for online bill paying but does use Direct Connect.  Direct Connect is a critical element required for online bill paying to work well, in my experience.  I tend to agree with your comment that "the manner in which Quicken has made QBP front and center when establishing a bill payer provider, I can only assume they have a financial gain."  One part of such gain could be the incremental cost to upgrade from Deluxe to Premier that I've paid recently (for nothing, apparently).

jacobs, I take your point that only two entities, Quicken and Metavante are involved.  So the name, " Quicken Bill Pay" would be just a servicemark, trademark or trade name (together "servicemark") for Metavante's QBP service.  But I'd think that Metavante would have to compensate Quicken somehow for the use of it's company name in their servicemark, by royalties or other payment.  So Quicken would benefit not just from the incremental cost to upgrade to Premier, but also from royalties (which Quicken may have already received for years). 

I am surprised that Quicken would get itself into a situation like this particular QBP promotion and that no one from Quicken has stepped up to post an answer and resolution in this thread.  I'll post what I end up deciding to do.  

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

Thanks, GeoffG and jacobs!  You've both given me good options to consider.

GeoffG:  I'll consider a different bank that (like PNC) does not charge for online bill paying but does use Direct Connect.  Direct Connect is a critical element required for online bill paying to work well, in my experience.  I tend to agree with your comment that "the manner in which Quicken has made QBP front and center when establishing a bill payer provider, I can only assume they have a financial gain."  One part of such gain could be the incremental cost to upgrade from Deluxe to Premier that I've paid recently (for nothing, apparently).

jacobs, I take your point that only two entities, Quicken and Metavante are involved.  So the name, " Quicken Bill Pay" would be just a servicemark, trademark or trade name (together "servicemark") for Metavante's QBP service.  But I'd think that Metavante would have to compensate Quicken somehow for the use of it's company name in their servicemark, by royalties or other payment.  So Quicken would benefit not just from the incremental cost to upgrade to Premier, but also from royalties (which Quicken may have already received for years). 

I am surprised that Quicken would get itself into a situation like this particular QBP promotion and that no one from Quicken has stepped up to post an answer and resolution in this thread.  I'll post what I end up deciding to do.  

Hello David,

My name is Sarah and I am a Moderator for the Quicken Community and Official Representative of the Quicken Support teams.  Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the Community and I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I'd like to provide a little background on the relationship between Quicken, Metavante and the Quicken Bill Pay service.  Prior to the split between Intuit and Quicken; Intuit had contracted with Metavante to provide bill payment services for Quicken Users (and Users of other Intuit Products/Services).  When Quicken separated to become a standalone company, all customers with a Quicken Bill Pay account were able to retain their accounts and bill payment access under the contracted terms between Intuit and Metavante and continue using those services until that contract ends, which is when Quicken 2017 is discontinued in April of 2020.

There are not many vendors who offer all the services that Metavante does so, when the separation happened, Quicken opted to continue the business relationship with Metavante and wrote a new contract for the Quicken 2018/19 subscription products.  All of which is great, except for the fact that because it is a new contract, all subscription Members who wish to use the Quicken Bill Pay service have had to establish new Quicken Bill Pay Accounts with Metavante, under the new contracted terms.  Many Users have had to complete the full new account approval process, which requires additional documentation and proof of identity from Users to meet federally mandated laws for authorizing financial services such as bill payments.

Unfortunately, Metavante was not prepared for the influx of new account requests from Users upgrading or purchasing Quicken 2018/19 and they have been struggling to meet their service level expectations and are taking longer than anticipated to approve new account requests.  

The Quicken Senior Leadership team is aware of the delays with Metavante and have been working closely with them to help manage the requests in a more timely manner but since they are a separate third party company who provide a service for us but are not directly owned by Quicken, we are limited in what we are able to do, I apologize.

I took the liberty of reviewing the last contact with our Support Teams and it sounds as though the decision made was to stay with the Quicken Premier version and cancel the request for the Quicken Bill Pay account however, if I've misunderstood that in anyway, please let me know, I would be happy to further discuss with you what alternate resolutions may be possible.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • edited January 26
    Thanks Sarah. 

I assume you read my thread so far.  My motivation to switch to Premier was that Quicken was saying that you get Quicken Bill Pay (QBP) free with that.  I thought I'd save the $9.95/mo that my bank charges for Direct Connect.  But weeks after I got Premier, QBP did not start.  I called and was told to wait for two micro-deposits and then proceed to start service.  But those never came.  Today I had a long conversation with QBP (in the Philippines).  They said I had sent in everything they wanted:  SS card, utility bill, a voided check and my driver license.  They said I have a QBP member number.  But they said that after I faxed those items to them, they had sent me an email saying that my driver license (DL) was not legible (but I never received it).  So I can try to send the driver license again now (and I thought I would enlarge and darken it as well).  She put in a "ticket" for me (I have the number) for monitoring of my activation and said she would check it next week, but that everything takes 48 business hours to come to QBP from their "Account Processing" Dept, usually.  They seem bureaucratic and seem to tell me something different each time I call.  Not promising as a service provider.  Also someone posted in the community that QBP is a nightmare - this makes me hesitant to proceed.  

But before I try faxing my DL again, I must say that the experience with QBP so far is not encouraging, so I wonder how well their service will work.  The lady at QBP advised that QBP is a division of Quicken, albeit different than the one that provides the Quicken software.  She said that QBP is not a separate, third-party company from Quicken, nor a subsidiary.  Metavante, she said was just a software supplier for QBP. 

She also said that all my payees would likely carry over if I switch to QBP, but that she was more sure of that for existing QBP members who now have to get new QBP accounts all over again than she is for me if I am just starting QBP coming from Direct Connect.  She said there is nothing written that says my payees would carry over, but that, anecdotally, she worked with one such customer and the payees did transfer over.  It would be kind of nice to know the answer to this before making the switch.  Can you confirm that the payees would transfer over if I switch to QBP?

You were correct that I told QBP that I would not use their service, but in this call, when I called back I was told that I am at the last step so I should try for QBP, because it is free, so I told her not to cancel my application for QBP.  She said if I don't send in my DL the application will cancel anyway after about 2 weeks.  But all they need is a legible copy of my DL, then I can get the micro-deposits. 

Then I go to the QBP website and enter in the two amounts of the micro-deposits: 

Tools
    QBP
    setup QBP Acct
    put in my ID & PW
    select "connect" then "link" then "next"  (I can't recall if this "linking" was just for existing QBP users who have to re-enroll).  It would be nice if there were clearer, simpler instructions and process.

After doing the above, the lady today said I could use QBP.  But I think not quite then, either because I was also told a week or so ago when I inquired I was walked through the steps to change my online service provider from Direct Connect with my Bank to QBP and I think I still would need to do those steps too, before I could use QBP.  This is because I can't have more than one electronic service provider for bill paying at the same time.

And two Super Users made suggestions that I followed up on.  First suggestion was:  cancel Premier and drop back to Deluxe and either stick with my bank, SunTrust, which has "PC banking and bill pay" for $9.95/mo that has Direct Connect and works with my Quicken software.  But when I called Quicken about that, I was told that I was beyond the 30-day cancellation window, but that I'd received a discount on Premier for signing up for two years, so even if I'd met that window, Deluxe for two years (now) only costs about $5 less than what I paid for Premier, so I said I'll stick with Premier.  

The second suggestion was to find a bank that does not charge a monthly fee but provides Direct Connect online banking and bill paying that works with Quicken.  Two banks were mentioned to have this:  PNC and Chase (there may be others).  I called Quicken Bill Pay (QBP) and was advised not to use PNC because QBP is having connection problems with PNC due to some security software that PNC is using, but they said Chase works fine.  A QBP rep said that Chase just requires direct deposit in a certain amount (I have that) for Direct Connect to be free.  My bank was not willing to waive the $10/mo when I called today to ask if they would since we have two direct deposits over $500 each monthly.  I am reluctant to switch banks.  But I guess my choices now are to just keep paying SunTrust $10/mo and go on with my life, or stick with SunTrust but switch to the "free" but dubious QBP, or switch banks to, e.g., Chase and stick with Direct Connect (free with them) and not have to deal with QBP, which appears not to provide "world class customer service" (far from it). 

I might fax in my DL again to QBP, along with an enlarged copy of it.  But please address the points I've raised and clarify if I have this right.  Then I will decide whether to proceed with activation.

I love Quicken software but this QBP offer has been botched.  I would have expected better service from Quicken.  I've already spent way more time on this than the $120 I'd save for this year by stopping Direct Connect.  But I am a detail person....

Thanks,

Dave

• edited December 2018
    Metavante One Bad Actor!

I am a 20 plus year quicken home/business user and am disgusted with the new owners of Quicken. I was told by support that I would need to set up new funding accounts.  I had five funding accounts with the previous version so the process is familiar to me.  Support says you should confirm the two small deposits in the next 2 to 3 days, OK.  One week later I contacted support staff who said that they were behind and it might take up to 10 days, a blatant lie.  Then support said they were pulling a ticket and would respond in 48 hours, another outright lie.  Is anyone else having trouble I ask, oh no sir, another lie.  

Yesterday I receive some security enabled email from quickenbillpay.com telling me to send proof of residence, proof of SS #, a cancelled check for each funding account and  a copy of my DL.   Whoa, I can mail it, fax or e-mail it.   I call support back and read the email.  Oh Support says that is the process.  I ask what happened to the 2 to 3 days why didn't someone tell me the process when I bought the software?  I told support there is no way in "Hell" I'm giving any of those documents to Quicken or Metavante.  Oh Support says, all our customers are doing it, they say.  Oh yeah, I say, when everyone is doing it I just jump in line too.  

Who ever is in charge of the Quicken bill pay support needs to get back in the "Time Share sales business" because they have no skill set for the "Financial Services Business."  People who manage money are serious about it and we don't deal with clowns!  

Robert R. Hemphill, Austin Texas    
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sorry you have had a bad experience with Metavante.  But they are asking for this information to comply with OFAC regulatory  requirements.  They are required to verify information on all new accounts.  They might be having an issue with getting verification from your financial institution, so then the only other thing they can do is ask you directly for this information.  They cannot do the trial deposits until this vetting process is completed.  
    edited November 2018
    Robert, I can understand you being frustrated with Metavante; you wouldn't be the only one, as their customer service leaves many unhappy. But why do you say you're disgusted with the owners of Quicken? They don't run Metavante (a much larger company than Quicken). You could wish Quicken would choose a different service provider, but there apparently aren't many companies which can interface with Quicken to provide such a service. Or Quicken could discontinue the service, but that would hurt the users for whom the service works well. 
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited January 27
    Help!  Shouldn't take 9 months to get approved for QuickenBillPay Service.  Prior quicken user since 90's.  Switched to Quicken (Windows) 2018 membership in Feb 2018.  Applied for approval for Bill pay service.  Still waiting for approval.  Very frustrating.  Efforts to date include:

Applied.  Received secure emails requesting ID info.  FAX'd info (email not allowed).  Received secure email stating fax'd info unreadable and email the updated info.  Called to discuss status and they informed that because of my lack of response, my application request was cancelled and I would start over.  I had sent the info requested and waiting for the two small deposits.  No deposits ever received.  Frustrating.

New application.  Been trying for several months to get approved.  No emails or updated status received.  Call weekly to ensure previous cancellation is not repeated.  Only get the standard response stating we are behind and takes 10 business days (Original sign up letter states 2-3 business days. Going on almost 60 days.
  • edited November 2018

Thanks Sarah. 

I assume you read my thread so far.  My motivation to switch to Premier was that Quicken was saying that you get Quicken Bill Pay (QBP) free with that.  I thought I'd save the $9.95/mo that my bank charges for Direct Connect.  But weeks after I got Premier, QBP did not start.  I called and was told to wait for two micro-deposits and then proceed to start service.  But those never came.  Today I had a long conversation with QBP (in the Philippines).  They said I had sent in everything they wanted:  SS card, utility bill, a voided check and my driver license.  They said I have a QBP member number.  But they said that after I faxed those items to them, they had sent me an email saying that my driver license (DL) was not legible (but I never received it).  So I can try to send the driver license again now (and I thought I would enlarge and darken it as well).  She put in a "ticket" for me (I have the number) for monitoring of my activation and said she would check it next week, but that everything takes 48 business hours to come to QBP from their "Account Processing" Dept, usually.  They seem bureaucratic and seem to tell me something different each time I call.  Not promising as a service provider.  Also someone posted in the community that QBP is a nightmare - this makes me hesitant to proceed.  

But before I try faxing my DL again, I must say that the experience with QBP so far is not encouraging, so I wonder how well their service will work.  The lady at QBP advised that QBP is a division of Quicken, albeit different than the one that provides the Quicken software.  She said that QBP is not a separate, third-party company from Quicken, nor a subsidiary.  Metavante, she said was just a software supplier for QBP. 

She also said that all my payees would likely carry over if I switch to QBP, but that she was more sure of that for existing QBP members who now have to get new QBP accounts all over again than she is for me if I am just starting QBP coming from Direct Connect.  She said there is nothing written that says my payees would carry over, but that, anecdotally, she worked with one such customer and the payees did transfer over.  It would be kind of nice to know the answer to this before making the switch.  Can you confirm that the payees would transfer over if I switch to QBP?

You were correct that I told QBP that I would not use their service, but in this call, when I called back I was told that I am at the last step so I should try for QBP, because it is free, so I told her not to cancel my application for QBP.  She said if I don't send in my DL the application will cancel anyway after about 2 weeks.  But all they need is a legible copy of my DL, then I can get the micro-deposits. 

Then I go to the QBP website and enter in the two amounts of the micro-deposits: 

Tools
    QBP
    setup QBP Acct
    put in my ID & PW
    select "connect" then "link" then "next"  (I can't recall if this "linking" was just for existing QBP users who have to re-enroll).  It would be nice if there were clearer, simpler instructions and process.

After doing the above, the lady today said I could use QBP.  But I think not quite then, either because I was also told a week or so ago when I inquired I was walked through the steps to change my online service provider from Direct Connect with my Bank to QBP and I think I still would need to do those steps too, before I could use QBP.  This is because I can't have more than one electronic service provider for bill paying at the same time.

And two Super Users made suggestions that I followed up on.  First suggestion was:  cancel Premier and drop back to Deluxe and either stick with my bank, SunTrust, which has "PC banking and bill pay" for $9.95/mo that has Direct Connect and works with my Quicken software.  But when I called Quicken about that, I was told that I was beyond the 30-day cancellation window, but that I'd received a discount on Premier for signing up for two years, so even if I'd met that window, Deluxe for two years (now) only costs about $5 less than what I paid for Premier, so I said I'll stick with Premier.  

The second suggestion was to find a bank that does not charge a monthly fee but provides Direct Connect online banking and bill paying that works with Quicken.  Two banks were mentioned to have this:  PNC and Chase (there may be others).  I called Quicken Bill Pay (QBP) and was advised not to use PNC because QBP is having connection problems with PNC due to some security software that PNC is using, but they said Chase works fine.  A QBP rep said that Chase just requires direct deposit in a certain amount (I have that) for Direct Connect to be free.  My bank was not willing to waive the $10/mo when I called today to ask if they would since we have two direct deposits over $500 each monthly.  I am reluctant to switch banks.  But I guess my choices now are to just keep paying SunTrust $10/mo and go on with my life, or stick with SunTrust but switch to the "free" but dubious QBP, or switch banks to, e.g., Chase and stick with Direct Connect (free with them) and not have to deal with QBP, which appears not to provide "world class customer service" (far from it). 

I might fax in my DL again to QBP, along with an enlarged copy of it.  But please address the points I've raised and clarify if I have this right.  Then I will decide whether to proceed with activation.

I love Quicken software but this QBP offer has been botched.  I would have expected better service from Quicken.  I've already spent way more time on this than the $120 I'd save for this year by stopping Direct Connect.  But I am a detail person....

Thanks,

Dave

Quicken Sarah, Official Rep:  where are you?  Please respond to my most recent comment, which was a response to yours.  Is QBP a viable service?  Thanks.
  • edited November 2018

Sorry you have had a bad experience with Metavante.  But they are asking for this information to comply with OFAC regulatory  requirements.  They are required to verify information on all new accounts.  They might be having an issue with getting verification from your financial institution, so then the only other thing they can do is ask you directly for this information.  They cannot do the trial deposits until this vetting process is completed.  

Simon, 

So you chose to send all your confidential information SS#, copy of DL, canceled check copies, and proof of residence in the mail or over the web to someone you have complete faith in, just asking? 

[email address removed]
  • edited November 2018
    Super user,

I never had an issue with payment accounts until the upgrade.  The facts speak for themselves.  1) The website is incorrect with the funding procedure. 2) Support misrepresents the process.  

[email address removed]
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Super user,

I never had an issue with payment accounts until the upgrade.  The facts speak for themselves.  1) The website is incorrect with the funding procedure. 2) Support misrepresents the process.  

[email address removed]

Hello Robert. Appreciate your comments.

If you have any questions or concerns about Quicken Bill Pay:

* Contact them directly at (877) 486-8844
    * E-Mail them at [email protected].

This is a user-to-user Community.

We appreciate your comments.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Robert, If I needed to, I would.  If you want a passport they ask for much more, if you wanted Soc Sec, they might ask you for the same thing, and more.  The same thing for a "Real ID".  It's all do to regulations to prevent fraud, identity theft, and money laundering. 
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

BTW, you can always encrypt your data file before sending, using a key they only would have or you supply.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • MikeMike Member
    edited January 26
    I am also having a hard getting this "free" service that is included with Quicken Premier operational.  They said between 5 and 10 business days.  It's been 17 days so far for me.  I did call Quicken Bill Pay support and, like many have stated, I only received apologies -- no solutions.

I understand that Quicken Bill Pay is a separate entity, but that doesn't make it OK that what's offered -- and being paid for -- isn't working.  It is unacceptable.  Being separate entities is not an excuse for failure.  Quicken and Metavante entered in to an agreement to provide a service.  Both are profiting from this agreement.  Both parties are equally responsible to provide the promised service to the people that have paid for it.  C'mon, Quicken and Metavante, get it right.  Do what you've promised.  Do what you've already collected money to do.

I seriously doubt this will actually be read by anyone that works for Quicken that will able to deliver on promised services that have already been paid for, but I'm posting it anyway.  Crossing fingers...
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Mike said:

I am also having a hard getting this "free" service that is included with Quicken Premier operational.  They said between 5 and 10 business days.  It's been 17 days so far for me.  I did call Quicken Bill Pay support and, like many have stated, I only received apologies -- no solutions.

I understand that Quicken Bill Pay is a separate entity, but that doesn't make it OK that what's offered -- and being paid for -- isn't working.  It is unacceptable.  Being separate entities is not an excuse for failure.  Quicken and Metavante entered in to an agreement to provide a service.  Both are profiting from this agreement.  Both parties are equally responsible to provide the promised service to the people that have paid for it.  C'mon, Quicken and Metavante, get it right.  Do what you've promised.  Do what you've already collected money to do.

I seriously doubt this will actually be read by anyone that works for Quicken that will able to deliver on promised services that have already been paid for, but I'm posting it anyway.  Crossing fingers...

Hello Mike. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Quicken Bill Pay is a separate entity, as you mentioned. There have been times that customers had to wait an average of 10-20 business days (based on previous calls from customers who have called in regarding the service) before they get their micro-deposits. This is after the verification process and other steps in order to get QBP activated.

All I can say is that if you have completed all the paperwork and verification with them, then once everything is processed, you will receive the micro-deposits.

If you have other questions about QBP, you are welcome to contact their customer support # at 877-486-8844.

Hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited January 27
    Some banks offer online bill pay free of charge with some restrictions that will integrate with Quicken. Chase, PNC and Wells Fargo to name just three. A bit of research will provide alternatives to QBP.
  • MikeMike Member
    edited January 26
    Mike said:

Thank you for the nice e-mail, Harold.

I realize that this is not your fault.   My dissatisfaction is certainly not aimed at you personally.

It's just seems that Quicken and QBP obviously have some pretty significant problems with delivering services after collecting money for said services.

Again, "separate entity" isn't an excuse and is not relevant to the fact that what's advertised isn't being delivered.  Quicken and QBP need to get it together.  Once money has been collected, failure to deliver is unacceptable.  If you can't deliver, don't take the money.  If there's an average wait of 10-20 business days, that's what your documentation should say.

(Don't get me started on problems with downloading transactions from financial institutions.  Maintaining the ability to Download transactions is the most commonly stated justification for the need to purchase Quicken updates.  Still, there are plenty of problems with that working consistently.  I know...  you don't have to tell me that the banks are a separate entity so it's ok that there are problems with that and Quicken too.)

As indicated, I did contact QBP support.  Only apologies.  No solutions.

Respectfully,

Mike
  • MikeMike Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Some banks offer online bill pay free of charge with some restrictions that will integrate with Quicken. Chase, PNC and Wells Fargo to name just three. A bit of research will provide alternatives to QBP.

Thank you GeoffG.  I've been using Quicken for ages...  (For me that goes back to the early 90's.)  It's a love/hate relationship, Geoff.  Seriously considering other personal financial software.  I am mirroring my finances with two others right now.  I actually prefer one of the others -- and it costs less!

Perhaps Quicken should say "We do better with some banks than others.  We really don't do what we say we do for everything... just some things."  And...  Wells Fargo charges for this service.  (They also insert their logo in to the Quicken Splash screen.  Seriously?)
  • edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

So, update on my story:  Within a week, I faxed in to QBP an enlarged version of my driver license, with a cover letter stating my QBP Member Number, as I was told to do by phone.  Now I am waiting for the two micro-deposits.  I guess maybe in a month or so I might see those.  But all these problems raise doubt in my mind about dealing with and using the QBP service.  So, can anyone who uses QBP already tell me if it works reliably for all of their financial institutions?  Especially, if you switched from Direct Connect to QBP, did you find that QBP worked just as well as Direct Connect?

I like what Mike has said.  Unlike him, however, I have not tried any other financial software than Quicken.  I always had the impression that Quicken was the "gold standard" among the companies providing financial software.  I am hoping to stick with Quicken because it has worked well for me for many years. 

Mike appears to agree with me that the roll-out (implementation) of this "free" QBP for subscribing to Quicken Premier has been botched.  I agree with him that just saying that Quicken uses a subcontractor for some bill-paying software does not absolve Quicken of responsibility to make good on their promise of free bill-paying service.  It is incumbent on Quicken to exert pressure on Metavante to provide timely connection to the bill-paying service, or, if that fails, to replace Metavante with another software provider subcontractor who will.  Has Quicken complained to Metavante?  Which executives at Quicken and at Metavante are responsible for the contract between these two companies?  Are they talking to each other?  Why can't this problem be elevated to higher levels of Quicken management to engage more "muscle" to get this problem fixed?  Where does the buck stop?

When I applied for QBP, I sent in every document they asked for and then heard nothing.  I called and was told to just wait for the micro deposits.  I heard nothing so called back.  Only then was I told that my application documents were all received in proper order except that, "your driver license was not legible."  QBP did not, as they should have, send me any email (nor did they call me or snail-mail me) saying that my application was incomplete (in just that one small aspect).  QBP did not "reach out" to a customer to advise them the status of their application for service; instead, they put the onus on me to keep calling them.  Had I not called QBP to keep after them on several occasions, my application would apparently have been closed with no notice to me, and I'd be left scratching my head and frustrated.  Is this the image that Quicken and QBP want to present to the world?  If so, good luck attracting new customers and retaining existing ones.    

So far, QBP and Quicken have only offered lame excuses.  Not world-class customer service.  What happened to the "gold standard"?  If Quicken wants to be the leader in the financial software field, they should invest resources now to get these problems fixed quickly.  I did not upgrade to Premier in order to buy problems.  It's been like paying extra so that someone will hit you on the head with a hammer.

I appreciate suggestions from other users about banks that might provide "free" bill-paying service that works with Quicken software.  My bank, SunTrust, provides that but only if you go to their website, not by going into my Quicken software.  That extra step would be inconvenient to do every time I update my various financial accounts in Quicken.  But I'd prefer not to change banks.  If QBP (1) actually works well once hooked up, and (2) actually will get me hooked up, then I would be able to keep my same bank and have "free" bill-paying (and transaction downloading) directly through using Quicken software for my checking account (which I can then reconcile using Quicken).  This was the "value proposition" for the customer in Quickens "upgrade to Premier" offer.  But, after I did my part (upgraded and applied for QBP), Quicken has yet to do their part.  And customer service has been very poor.  
This discussion has been closed.