Investment Asset Allocation

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When I downloaded my investment accounts, all but 2 of the accounts have the correct asset allocations. But for 2 accounts, it just says "no asset class". I know that I can manually correct the allocations, but would prefer that it be downloaded so that it is continually updated. How do I correct the download from financial institution to show correct asset allocations?  Using Quicken 2019.  

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What are the 2 securities that say "no asset class".

AND, since you refer to them as "accounts", did you set them up as "Single Mutual Fund" accounts?  If you did, that's an ill-advised choice ... since ONLY that fund can EVER be held in that account.  SO, when you sell that fund and buy another, you'll need to set up another SMF account to hold that new fund.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    The same fund is in both accounts.  The fund is Vanguard Inst TR 2025
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    For a quick sanity check, you do have the box marked "Download Asset Class Information
    " checked for all the mutual funds in the 2 accounts that you are talking about, correct? 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Double check the Fund ID (Ticker) for the investment.  If it is correct, then the next account update (either one step update, or "update transactions" from your register) you do will update the investment.  A faster way is to go to the Investing tab and click on "Update" in the upper right of the screen.  Keep in mind, that the asset class for closed funds, or funds with no activity, will not update automatically.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The asset class info is downloaded with the quote data from a third party provider, not from your financial institution.

When you say "no asset class" where are you seeing this and exactly what does it say? Investing Portfolio views, (asset mixture) Security details (other or unclassified) Portfolio x Ray, or what?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

The asset class info is downloaded with the quote data from a third party provider, not from your financial institution.

When you say "no asset class" where are you seeing this and exactly what does it say? Investing Portfolio views, (asset mixture) Security details (other or unclassified) Portfolio x Ray, or what?

"The asset class info is downloaded with the quote data from a third party provider, not from your financial institution."

Is this still true for Direct Connect?  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I may be wrong, but I don't think you will see any asset class data in the OFX log, which is the data that comes from the FIs. Getting this data from a 3rd party means the class definitions will be consistent and you will have access to the data even if you don't download transactions. Unfortunately it also means you won't get the data for any security that does not have a valid ticker, i.e is not publicly traded.

Some 401(k)s hold funds that that have similar names and holdings to publicly traded funds but are actually separate. I think these won't get asset class data even if you download transactions for them.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Sorry Jim.  I deleted my original question to you that you answered above, because I just couldn't phrase it to make sense.  But since you answered, I will try to comment again.  I think that prices/asset class are updated with OSU and when you do "Update" on the Investing tab.  I wasn't sure if prices were also update when you did an "Update Now".  From what you said, prices/asset class would not be updated with "Update Now".  Which makes sense.  My question was about Direct Connect, and if that made any difference in where the pricing came from?
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Bottom line, If the Fund ID is correct,  I think she just needs to wait for her securities to be updated.  You are right about some funds in a 401(k) plan.  Sometimes they are "customized" funds so they are not publicly traded, and thus have no asset information.  We used to call these "unitized" and collective funds
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank  you so much for the information.  I did an update and the asset allocations came through!  I appreciate your help, since I had spend literally several hours with Online Chat and even Premier Support and they weren't able to help.  Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.