How to report by category for each tag with columns for months

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Reports (Windows)
In Quicken Deluxe 2019, I'm trying to create my first report. I made tags for each of my three rentals as you all suggested. But now I'm having trouble finding a report that vertically shows the categories and subcategories for each tag while it displays the months in cols across. 

And to show everything else, must I create a similar report for "no tags."  or is there a way to show everything else ABOVE the rental expenses in one report? 

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I might be wrong since I don't use many tags and as such don't report on them, but it I think that it breaks down this way.  If you see "tag" in the report name (and there are only a couple) then the transactions are displayed grouped in tags.  The other settings like categories and accounts become "filters"

And when you are using a report that is for categories, that is the grouping and the other fields like tags become the "filters".

There isn't a report for displaying it grouped in both tags and categories.

If you need to see the categories, but separated by tag, you are going to have to have a report per tag.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Oh. Thanks and darn.
    I find I can create separate reports as you suggest via "Income and Expense by Category" (under Spending) to get categories and tags by month. But it doesn't show subcategories. Do I have to upgrade to display subcategories?
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Is this what you are looking for?  Shows multiple properties "tags" in the columns and the left hand side has categories and subcategories.  This report started under the Rental Property section of the reports window, under "Cash Flow" I believe is the default.

Please click "Like" if this is a satisfactory answer.
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Is this what you are looking for?  Shows multiple properties "tags" in the columns and the left hand side has categories and subcategories.  This report started under the Rental Property section of the reports window, under "Cash Flow" I believe is the default.

You can customize the report by the "show columns" option and selecting tag.  I think it is under the advanced tab.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Gosh I looked at that Advanced tab and missed "show subcategories." Thank you! I'm now feeling like I might get the hang of this within the first week.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Thanks Beijing Mac, I actually looked at the cash flow by tags reports, but for some reason I didn't think it was what she wanted.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I probably didn't the exact same thing you did Teri Mu.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

From C. D. Bales:

" ... for some reason I didn't think it was what she wanted".

You were right.

Based strictly on the contents of the original post ("I'm having trouble finding a report that vertically shows the categories and subcategories for each tag while it displays the months in cols across"), it wasn't what she wanted.

To my knowledge, there is no Quicken report that would provide the original poster what was asked for.

The solution offered (and accepted) here does not contain any breakdown by month. And the only way I know of to get that breakdown by month in one report is to sacrifice one of the other two desired factors (category and tag).

You can, however, easily change the two criteria the report will use without recreating the report from scratch: both the Row contents and the Column contents are selectable in the Customize dialog (though periods, such as "month", can only appear in columns; while categories and tags can appear in either rows or columns).

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    For the Cash Flow report there is a drop down list that lets you select or change what to display in columns.  So you could select "Months" for a given time period, but you would have to group all the 3 tags (OP indicated 3 properties with tags) or alternatively, select an individual tag / property.  In the report, you can also go to settings / Display (first tab) and you get the same option.

However I don't think you can do by Tag & by Month and still show the Cat/sub-Cat in LH column.  Like you can't show 3 dimensions in a 2-D report.....  unless you are a super whiz!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks. Actually, it seems to me it would be easy to show three dimensions by simply showing each tag's info grouped vertically by category with the months in cols. But I've surrendered to one report per tag.  I'm  beginning to feel this is doable. 
This discussion has been closed.