Copy/Paste Transaction

I rarely use Copy/Paste transaction(s), but I was trying to do this today and no matter where I clicked in the new transaction area at the bottom of the register, all Quicken would do is paste the text of the column headers in whatever field I clicked into.

I tried this repeatedly, clicking in various parts of the new transaction area, until I finally got it to work.  This is vaguely familiar, so it seems to be a bug I've come across before but have completely forgotten about, except for the result.

Quicken Premier 2017, Version R17.4
Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    Hi @
    Rich M,

Are you copying part of a Transaction, or the entire Transaction?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited January 22
    The problem you are looking at is that you are in fact trying to paste a transaction into one field.

In other words, you copy a transaction and then you select the payee, you are now in that field, and select to paste from the following menu:

That is the menu for pasting "text" not a transaction.

The result is:

To make sure you get the correct menu right click instead of left click.

• edited December 2018
    QPW said:

The problem you are looking at is that you are in fact trying to paste a transaction into one field.

In other words, you copy a transaction and then you select the payee, you are now in that field, and select to paste from the following menu:

The result is:

I use Paste Transaction as above  very frequently with no issues  Regards 
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

The result is:

Hi @ QPW ,

Have you ever tried to left click on the More Actions Gear, which I call the Transaction Gear. No need to right-click. Brings up the exact same menu that you are referring to. Just click the More Actions Gear of the Transaction you wish to copy, then go to the Empty Transaction Line of the Register you want to paste into and left click, Paste Transaction(s).

You can also highlight more than one Transaction at a time, too.

You can also paste from one Quicken Data File to a Register in another Data File. Because once copied, it stays in Memory, until you copy something else.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

The result is:

I have seen it, but tend to prefer the right click.  It is certainly a good way to do it.  You can also used the Edit menu to do the same.

On the copying between data files.  I haven't done that (no real need), but I thought it only worked for one transaction, right?
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

The result is:

Hi @ QPW ,

I think it would work only if you are not copying Transfer Transactions, where the Account you are transferring to doesn't exist in the other Data File.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

The result is:

Hi All, thanks for all the help, I didn't think I was doing a regular paste yesterday, but I must have, works just fine today using Paste Transaction(s) of course.  Duh.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10