Quicken Version Year

2»

Comments

• SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Back to the original question, wouldn't someone posting that they use Quicken 2018, have an expired subscription that was never updated with the 2019 features?

The difference is that the retailers were offering a 2 year subscription at a deep discount.  The 2 year subscription through Quicken.com is at a slight discount.  Nevertheless, I will purchase Quicken when the time comes at the lowest price I can find.  Or any price, as a matter of fact, it's that important to me.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Back to the original question, wouldn't someone posting that they use Quicken 2018, have an expired subscription that was never updated with the 2019 features?

Yes, and I guess the retailer basically sold out for now.  But I'm sure this isn't the last of the sales, but of course that depends on when a person's membership is going to expire.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

One note to anyone reading this thread: Someone asked "you can get a discounted price for the same period by buying an older version, no?" That's correct between Quicken 2018 and 2019, but should you come across anyone selling a prior year, that's different matter. Quicken 2018 is the first year that came with subscription activation codes. If you see a great deal of Quicken 2017 on eBay, though, it will not give you an activation code for a new or extended subscription.

@SimonSezSo, you said "what makes it more confusing is that my Quicken was updated to 2019 before my 2018 subscription expired." I'd suggest thinking of it and terming it differently: you did not have a subscription to Quicken 2018, you had a one-year subscription that began with Quicken 2018. As has been noted above in this thread, subscriptions are for a length of time, not a product. Who know if they'll change to Quicken 2020 next year, or if they'll do it on the same fall schedule, but the name is now irrelevant.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

One note to anyone reading this thread: Someone asked "you can get a discounted price for the same period by buying an older version, no?" That's correct between Quicken 2018 and 2019, but should you come across anyone selling a prior year, that's different matter. Quicken 2018 is the first year that came with subscription activation codes. If you see a great deal of Quicken 2017 on eBay, though, it will not give you an activation code for a new or extended subscription.

@SimonSezSo, you said "what makes it more confusing is that my Quicken was updated to 2019 before my 2018 subscription expired." I'd suggest thinking of it and terming it differently: you did not have a subscription to Quicken 2018, you had a one-year subscription that began with Quicken 2018. As has been noted above in this thread, subscriptions are for a length of time, not a product. Who know if they'll change to Quicken 2020 next year, or if they'll do it on the same fall schedule, but the name is now irrelevant.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Jacobs what I was trying to point out was that having version years when they are irrelevant is confusing.  For the subscription Quicken, having years attached is confusing.  After "2019" I hope they come up with a better naming scheme, "Quicken 365" maybe, or "Quicken Money Manager"?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Just "Quicken" works for me.  :-)
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

LOL I was trying to be creative.  Trying.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

I think we all agree having the years is stupid. Perhaps they've decided to keep the years until they retire the last of the pre-subscription versions (Quicken 2017) in April 2020, or perhaps they'll realized they confused a lot of their customers this year.  The key question is whether their marketing people feel it drives sales -- they clearly do -- and whether that's more important to them than confusing existing users about versions.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Personally what I have found is that people find "change" hard, and as such stick for long times with what they are use to, even past when it makes sense.  It is also a form a laziness, to change a system (and a person's mindset) takes effort.

To do the same old thing seems easier for people.

Instead of trying to figure out how you would market the "next year release", or for that matter not do it at all takes effort.

To change the help about Quicken takes effort, bumping a year number takes little effort.

Why do you think that there are deals on the "Quicken 2018"?

Because someone would have had to realize and change their thinking, and the way they price things.  "Normally" when a new version comes out the old one isn't as useful.  It takes effort to change the system, easier to do what you did last year, and year before, ...
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well it's good to know you can get a deal and all the latest features by buying last year's version instead.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.