Unknown account type / issues adding accounts

2»

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited March 2018
    ssechsv said:

Well, I followed the process above as suggested by Artic Hare but it only worked partway.  Out of 13 accounts, only 3 look correct now. The others are missing big gaps of transactions, between last March and December.  Any other suggestions?

banks and credit cards
  • edited March 2018
    ssechsv said:

Well, I followed the process above as suggested by Artic Hare but it only worked partway.  Out of 13 accounts, only 3 look correct now. The others are missing big gaps of transactions, between last March and December.  Any other suggestions?

i.e. pretty much anything but loans and investments?
    edited March 2018
    ssechsv said:

yep and assets like property
  • SFraserSFraser Member
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unknown type Chase Credit Card.

Version 2018 R6.12 27.1.6.12. Online update has not worked for Chase for some 7 to 10 days. I have reset, deactivated, and attempted to reactivate. I have continued to get Unknown Type for a week or so trying to reactivate.
  • edited December 2018
    I followed every step in Arctic Hare's procedure and Navy Federal Credit Union still comes back with Unknown Type for all but one NFCU account. Even when I got it working last month, it came back with the same issue 2 weeks ago.
  • edited March 2018

I followed every step in Arctic Hare's procedure and Navy Federal Credit Union still comes back with Unknown Type for all but one NFCU account. Even when I got it working last month, it came back with the same issue 2 weeks ago.

@Donald: There are a handful of financial institutions that seem to cause no end of problems with Express Web Connect: Capital One, Wells Fargo, and NFCU are among the top five problem FIs. The procedure provided works nearly 100% of the time, but for the few problem FIs, it is either a temporary fix or not a fix at all.

I suggest that your options are to: (i) take the issue up with Quicken tech support and be assertive enough to get it escalated to Tier 2 support; (ii) switch to Direct Connect, if available, or (iii) switch to a different financial institution.
  • SFraserSFraser Member
    edited December 2018
    It is clear there is no professional support being offered by Qucken to paying subscribers. It is also clear that the product is corrupting it's own database. The solution should be a product update delivered by trained software engineers. This could even be an update to the Validate and Repair. Anyone suggesting opening and closing a file 6 times as a solution obviously does not understand how software works.

In the mean time, as long as you don't mind paying for software that obviously has some serious bugs in it. Free up and afternoon. You can export your accounts. Open a new database. Import the accounts. Then spend the rest of your afternoon repeating the online and bill pay setup you did before.

I expect more from a subscription based software. Pushing support to a chat forum is not the same as  taking direct accountability. Do a proper root cause and provide an update. You owe this to your customers.

If you need help, contact me. I've written successful software for many companies.
  • SFraserSFraser Member
    edited April 2018
    Nice .. Now I realized I have paid for priority support. Hmm... Where's the open support ticket button I paid for? How do you know in a free support chat board that I have paid for support? You didn't even recognize my Quicken credential.
  • SFraserSFraser Member
    edited January 11
    So.. .where is my paid updated from 2 weeks ago. Even a response. Is priority support.. we may never answer you?
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator
    edited March 2018
    SFraser said:

Nice .. Now I realized I have paid for priority support. Hmm... Where's the open support ticket button I paid for? How do you know in a free support chat board that I have paid for support? You didn't even recognize my Quicken credential.

Hello SFraser, appreciate your question.

Are you calling the toll free number for the phone number that is tied to your Quicken account? You can check this information at http://www.quicken.com/my-account.

Hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Hey SFraser,

I was able to find your account and you have the premium product that comes with premium support.

This means that when you call support using the phone number listed in you Quicken.com account you will be moved to the front of the queue.

Is this the information that you were looking for?

-Quicken Tyka
  • edited April 2018
    SFraser said:

It is clear there is no professional support being offered by Qucken to paying subscribers. It is also clear that the product is corrupting it's own database. The solution should be a product update delivered by trained software engineers. This could even be an update to the Validate and Repair. Anyone suggesting opening and closing a file 6 times as a solution obviously does not understand how software works.

In the mean time, as long as you don't mind paying for software that obviously has some serious bugs in it. Free up and afternoon. You can export your accounts. Open a new database. Import the accounts. Then spend the rest of your afternoon repeating the online and bill pay setup you did before.

I expect more from a subscription based software. Pushing support to a chat forum is not the same as  taking direct accountability. Do a proper root cause and provide an update. You owe this to your customers.

If you need help, contact me. I've written successful software for many companies.

In the interest of setting the record straight for others that might read SFraser's post above...
    Anyone suggesting opening and closing a file 6 times as a solution obviously does not understand how software works. 
    The reason that the provided procedure includes a number of close/re-open cycles is because there is because this is recommended by Quicken tech support. I have inferred that the reason it is recommended by Q tech support is because there is knowledge, suspicion, or speculation that in certain situations that edits that are made in the GUI are cached in memory and my not be written to the data base immediately. Then, if one proceed with the next step, without forcing write out of the cache to the database, the next step uses the wrong information from the database. I haven't even attempted to prove or disprove whether there is a cache write delay that could affect the outcome of the procedure. Instead, I've taken the conservative approach and included that step based on soft assumption that Quicken tech support might have a valid reason for doing this. I would go far as to say, if the software was well written, such a step wouldn't be necessary... but, if the software were flawless, it wouldn't corrupt its own database.... Thus, for the record, that step is not the result of misunderstanding works, but conservative adoption of a practice used by Quicken Support... without verification as to the actual necessity of including that step.
    In the mean time, as long as you don't mind paying for software that obviously has some serious bugs in it. Free up and afternoon. You can export your accounts. Open a new database. Import the accounts. Then spend the rest of your afternoon repeating the online and bill pay setup you did before
    There is no export/import tool/process that can effectively export and reimport all Quicken features. I speak from experience here as I have salvaged a decades old data file using this process. Neither the QFX format nor the QIF format will export/import all accounts and/or features. While QFX is more robust for banking accounts, it doesn't process investment accounts, for example. In my case, it took about 40 hours to fix the collateral damage that resulted from the export/import cycle. I use a lot of Quicken features, but others users use more than me. So, experience will vary by user... but many users, if not most users won't be well served by the export/import cycle. In select cases this could be a viable solution.
    It is also clear that the product is corrupting it's own database. The solution should be a product update delivered by trained software engineers. 
    Yes, in my opinion, it is well established that under certain circumstances Quicken corrupts its own database. Most often, these circumstances include use of Express Web Connect, applying product upgrades/updates, and using the mobile sync feature. I expect all users would agree that Quicken should be improving the robustness of the software, and, in the interim, at least building a fix for the issue into the validate function and/or providing a fix-it tool. This has been recommended to Quicken by SuperUsers. I compiled the procedure I've provided above out of desperation because my decades old Quicken file became corrupted with the Unknown Type issue and Quicken tech support couldn't/wouldn't help me overcome the problem. When faced with this issue, Q tech support generally recommends to start a fresh data file. As it stands, the procedure I posted is the only publicly available solution that, in most cases, permanently resolves the Unknown Type (and other EWC) issue(s). Most users and form members are thankful that another user invested the 100 hours of sweat equity to find a fix to a crippling problem that Quicken hasn't yet provided a fix.
    edited March 2018
    SFraser said:

So.. .where is my paid updated from 2 weeks ago. Even a response. Is priority support.. we may never answer you?

Just noticed your issue is with a Chase credit card(s). Chase offers free direct connect downloads for Quicken. Switch to that method and you will not have to deal with the frustrations of Express Web Connect. I've never had an issue with my Chase direct connect download from Chase.
  • edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't download to Citibank an others at times.

since quicken an intuit separated quicken has been terrible. now i get a message that says unknown type AFTER i had been connected to citibank (costco card) normally. at times other cc cards an banks i have don't download an i have to disconnect an reconnect in order to get them to work. now citibank will only work if i down load from inside the credit card itself. i'm sure i can't be the only one have these problems?? i am running is say's yr/ 2018 quicken deluxe, version r7.5 if anyone has any answers that would help this old man it would be appreciated. thanks
  • NalinNalin Member
    edited January 11
    After how many times repeating the steps (as per step 16) can one assume this is not going to fix the issue? Asking because I have been repeating the steps for quite a few rounds but I keep getting the same issue. Also note that I cant perform a file copy operation. It says "file NOT copied" when I try it. Therefore I have to perform the steps on the same file which I copied initially using "Save as" function. I don't have any issues other than being able to add online billers.

Thank you.
  • edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

After how many times repeating the steps (as per step 16) can one assume this is not going to fix the issue? Asking because I have been repeating the steps for quite a few rounds but I keep getting the same issue. Also note that I cant perform a file copy operation. It says "file NOT copied" when I try it. Therefore I have to perform the steps on the same file which I copied initially using "Save as" function. I don't have any issues other than being able to add online billers.

Thank you.

@Nalin: what version of Quicken are you using? There is a bug in the most recent version of US Quicken that is causing the File Copy feature to not work properly with some people's data files and the result is an error message that says "file NOT copied".
  • NalinNalin Member
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Thanks a lot Arctic Hare. I am on 2019 R15.18. I spoke to 2 quicken agents but no one could help me with this. Appreciate a lot for the help. FYI, I have been running the repair quite a few times but still I keep getting the the same messages over and over again. I guess the missing link is the file copy? Do you think once that is fixed I will be able to get this sorted?

Thank you
  • edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

I strongly suspect you are being affected by the File NOT copied issue with the current US Release. On that point, I suggest you wait for the next release, hoping it fixes that issue. I know for certain that Quicken is actively working on that issue.

I also know that Quicken is looking to obtain additional information from users affected by the file not copied issue. I'm going to flag your issue for a moderator. In addition, I suggest you try the Help-->Report a Problem feature and submit your log files and a sanitized data file with an explanation of the file not copied issue.
  • edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

@Nalin: I've sent a message to the moderators about your situation. I hope that one of them reaches out to you to assist in troubleshooting the File NOT Copied error.
  • NalinNalin Member
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Thank you Arctic Hare. I will try to use the report a problem feature to submit the issue as well.
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

In the event Quicken cannot create a fix, you may also want to search for and put aside a backup file created before R15 was released. That file can be restored and updated with an R14 release and then used with the latest release of R15.18.  

Have you tried signing on as a different user in Preferences and signing back in with your same credentials selecting the Use Mobile option?

Adding- before doing sign on as a different user, delete the existing cloud account by creating a new file and while in the new file delete, the cloud account of the problem file.
  • NalinNalin Member
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Hi markus1957, I have not tried login in as a different user. With the new subscription service, to do this, dont I need to have another paid user profile created with quicken?
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Nalin- No, just sign back in with your existing credentials.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Hi Nalin,

I'm sorry to hear that you are receiving an error when attempting to create a copy of your data file using the File > File Operations > Copy pathway.

We are investigating this error and I would like to add your information to the open ticket with Development but unfortunately was not able to locate a "Report a Problem" submission in our system for you.  When you have a moment, please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".

In the window that opens, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line and mark the box for "Sanitized data file" and click Send to Quicken.  Once sent, please just let me know so I can find the report in the system.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • NalinNalin Member
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Hi Sarah, I have submitted the case as you requested above. Thank you
    edited November 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Hi Nalin,

Thank you so much!  I have found the submission and added the sanitized data file to the open ticket and will be back to share updates on this issue as they are received.

Sarah
    edited December 2018
    Nalin said:

Thank you.

Hi Nalin,

I appreciate your patience while we have been looking into the "File Not Copied" error.  We just started a staged release of the R16.14 release for Quicken Windows 2018/2019 which should include the fix for the file copy error.

If you haven't received an in-product prompt to install this update, please visit https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription... to download and install the Mondo Patch.

Once installed, please let us know if the File Not Copied error continues.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • edited December 2018
    All:

I upgraded to the latest version of quicken several months ago, there seems to be updates every week or so which is great. I also switched back to using it on a windows machine and not on a mac via parallels desktop. And I have not had a single issue, knock on wood..
  • Tony FongTony Fong Member
    edited January 20
    Sherlock said:

If you haven't already, after you deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with the financial institution, I suggest you verify the financial institution is no longer referenced in the One Step Update Settings window and clear the name of the financial institution name field on the General tab of each account.  Once the financial name has been cleared, you may be able to add the accounts you were having difficulty with.  It is possible you may not be able to link to one or more of the existing registers, if they have an inappropriate type, but you may still be able to move the transactions to a new register (and remove the old register).  Remember, always save a data file backup (Ctrl + B) before making any significant changes.

Wow. What Sherlock suggested really worked! This sort of thing drives me crazy with Quicken. Thanks Sherlock!!!!
2»
This discussion has been closed.