backup file date format

what is the file format for the date on the backup file. windows 2018

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Marie Giardina ,

More information is needed. See this Article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Comment Back.

It looks like: New Install 2016-2016-08-31 as an example, based on your Windows Date Settings.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    what is the file format for the date
    By any chance did you want that last word to be "data"?
  • AndrewAndrew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

what is the file format for the date
    By any chance did you want that last word to be "data"?
    Betcha she didn't!  She specifically asked about the "backup file" which indeed can (optionally) have part of the file name include the date of the backup. 

Now, as to why she wants to know, she can simply create a backup file using the append the date option, and simply look at the directory.  Curious as to why she'd want to know this, 

Just a guess/thought on my part of course.
  • skeleton567skeleton567 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Marie, I don't know if this will answer your question, but here is an example:

RQ2011-2018-12-07.AM11.28.QDF-backup

(file name) - year-month-day.time of backup.file type (QDF-backup)

The file location by default is a subdirectory under your regular data file location that is, on Windows, called simply \Backup.

However, I think it is  good idea to change the default location to a subdirectory under a general 

data directory, such as:   c:\DATA\QW2018\  using a different sub-directory for each application.

If you do this with all of your applications, gathering your personal data into one general location, it is easy to back up ALL of your personal data by simply making a copy of the complete c:\DATA\
     directory, which you can do with a quick drag-and-drop action.

Better yet, make copies of you c:\Data\ directory to a different disk drive, or to a USB drive, and create a new directory there each time, such as F:\DataBackup\2018_12_08\   etc.  My c:\DATA\ directory is about 50gb, which allows me to keep a history of several backups of ALL of my personal data on a 1TB usb drive that costs less than $100.  It's well worth the cost and effort to have a history.

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Marie,

As skeleton567 has said the BEST way to save the backup drives is on another drive in its own directory.  I currently do this to an NAS drive that backs up daily to another NAS drive that is further backed up off-site once a quarter.  If you get two (minimum) or three (better) 64Gb thumb-drives you can backup up to them, first on one drive, then the other, then back to the first drive.  I have a fairly large file and I keep at minimum 1 years worth of backups.  The size of the directory is currently 41.4Gb.

The third thumb-drive is to put somewhere off-site, a bank safe deposit site, etc., the purpose being to have that third backup in cast something happens to the building or room the computer with Quicken on it is located in.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Marie, I don't know if this will answer your question, but here is an example:

RQ2011-2018-12-07.AM11.28.QDF-backup

(file name) - year-month-day.time of backup.file type (QDF-backup)

The file location by default is a subdirectory under your regular data file location that is, on Windows, called simply \Backup.

However, I think it is  good idea to change the default location to a subdirectory under a general 

data directory, such as:   c:\DATA\QW2018\  using a different sub-directory for each application.

If you do this with all of your applications, gathering your personal data into one general location, it is easy to back up ALL of your personal data by simply making a copy of the complete c:\DATA\
     directory, which you can do with a quick drag-and-drop action.

Better yet, make copies of you c:\Data\ directory to a different disk drive, or to a USB drive, and create a new directory there each time, such as F:\DataBackup\2018_12_08\   etc.  My c:\DATA\ directory is about 50gb, which allows me to keep a history of several backups of ALL of my personal data on a 1TB usb drive that costs less than $100.  It's well worth the cost and effort to have a history.

@skeleton567

There are two backups that Quicken for Windows can make, automatic and manual.

The automatic is always put in the BACKUP folder under the location of the data file, the manual backups can be put where ever you want (some place other than the local harddrive is the best).

Your file name example is of an automatic backup.  Automatic backup filenames contain the time.  Manual backup filenames may or may not contain the date only (never a time) and including the date is a user selectable option.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.