Projected balance is not calculating properly

Quicken - Deluxe (Windows)
Year:  2019
Version:  R15.18
Build:  27.15.18
OS:  Windows 10 Enterprise version 1709 (OS Build 16299.726)

This took me a while to isolate and figure out.  It's driving me crazy and causing projected balances to not accurately project my future balances.  

I have several repeating online payments coming from my bank.  When I use the one-step update, my bank will record the upcoming payments to the proper accounts.  It also creates and tracks a bill reminder.  However, this is where the problem lies.  Each month, my bank creates a record in my registry of the upcoming payment (sometimes it's on a day or two prior to the due date because the due date may fall on a weekend).  

When I go into Bills & Income / Projected Balances, Quicken doesn't recognize these upcoming registry items as the bill reminders.  This causes an issue by doubling the bills in the chart in the Projected Balances screen.  

Also, the chart has one of the clickable dots on the date.  It doesn't show a record of all the items used to create the closing balance.  It only shows the value in my reminders section.  You can imagine the confusion I had trying to figure out why my next online bill payments were doubled.  Only when I had a bill date that fell on the weekend was I able to figure this out because the dates were separated. 

I hope this makes sense.  Is this a bug?  Is there any way to fix this?  It's driving me crazy!

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    To enable Quicken to perform the transaction match, I suggest entering the bill reminders into the register in advance of the downloaded transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    On the problem where you click on the dot and it doesn't show all the transactions that happened on that day.  I have seen that before, but I have not been able to reproduce it lately.  If there is a way to consistently produce it then it is more likely they could fix the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Sherlock said:

To enable Quicken to perform the transaction match, I suggest entering the bill reminders into the register in advance of the downloaded transaction.

Thank you, I've noticed that I've had to do that.  However in this case it doesn't have to do with the downloaded transactions.  It's more about what's in the registry already.  On the repeating online transactions, the transaction is cleared out of the bill reminder tab when it is created by the bank transaction.  It's smart in that aspect.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

On the problem where you click on the dot and it doesn't show all the transactions that happened on that day.  I have seen that before, but I have not been able to reproduce it lately.  If there is a way to consistently produce it then it is more likely they could fix the problem.

Yes.  It is able to be replicated and is occurring on all transactions brought into the account registry.  At least in my DB...
  • erikirani
    erikirani Member ✭✭
    I know what Dave is referring to.  The projected balance does not adjust for same day transactions.  It will only update on the next date and that one transaction.  See attached.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:

"The projected balance does not adjust for same day transactions."

If you look at your display, you will see that the column you think is wrong, is not. The balance shown is the "closing balance" for that date (as the heading clearly states), not what the balance would be after each transaction on that date.

Showing the balance resulting from each transaction for a given date would be worthless, as the graph only shows (only can show) one balance for a given date. The balance in the list is the same as the balance in the graph ... as it should be.

Quicken is working as intended - and as it should.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• erikirani
    erikirani Member ✭✭
    @mshiggins
    While I understand that design, the total does not match.  Starting balance of 2948.23 with a reduction of 900.00, 745.23, 10.00 and the addition of 2850.60 comes to 4143.51.  The display reflects 4681.11.  Why the 537.60 difference?  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:

@erikirani

" ... I understand that design ....".

Your previous post clearly indicated that you did not. 

I addressed what you said (and only what you said) in your previous post, namely: "The projected balance does not adjust for same day transactions. It will only update on the next date and that one transaction." As I noted previously: That is by design.

Now you say: " Why the 537.60 difference?"

You have not provided sufficient information to address that.

You have not provided the opening balance, transactions and the closing balance as per the graph (double-clck the circle in the graph for a specific date).

You have not provided sufficient detail from the List to determine whether all approprate transactions are displayed in your post here. We can't see the transaction date of the transactions. We can't see the transactions before and after the transactions for the date in question.

I also note that QPW acknowledged this issue 3 months ago: "On the problem where you click on the dot and it doesn't show all the transactions that happened on that day. I have seen that before, but I have not been able to reproduce it lately."

Obviously if not all transactions are being displayed in the graph and/or the List but are being included in the totals, there will be a discrepancy. But that was already established before you posted.

Nothing in your posts provides the information necessary to identfy whether transactions are missing (as opposed to Quicken producing incorrect totals of the appropriate transactions), which transactions they are, or why they are missing. 

The original poster in this discussion identified a reason for the reported discrepancies; if you have information that would shed more light on that, it would be welcome. But so far, I'm not seeing that information.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• erikirani
    erikirani Member ✭✭
    @mshiggins
    Let me ask the question to get to my goal another way.  How do I generate a report that reflects projected balances (including scheduled) with ALL transactions reflected?  Currently, the projected balance does not offer all transactions. 

Register:

Projected:
  • roglh
    roglh Member
    edited December 2020
    So if your statement is true SuperUser " As I noted previously: That is by design." Explain this...
    Not only do we see the calculations are not correct, if we view projected balances more than 45 days out, an additional 200,000.00 is added to the balance. It starts multiplying and over a 12 month period, the balance ends with over 5 million in the account (I could only dream). Personally, I have never had more than 4 or 5 thousand in a Checking account. The issues that everyone is referring to, did not start until the last two versions were pushed (at least for myself).
    Someone needs to go back to the drawing board (By re-Design) Basically I am calling BS on your statement "By Design" [Removed-Speculation/Unhelpful]
This discussion has been closed.