Quicken Inc should eliminate or minimize the LARGE popup with expiration. (101 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• edited December 2018
    John said:

The company line is that all the advertising done is in the interest of the user, however, I feel this is simply a high pressure sales tactic. The software has not improved in the way I use it as a standalone check on the financial institutions that I deal with.
    I have voted with my wallet, in that I have evaluated several alternatives and selected one that offers the same functionality that I need with out the need for constant internet connectivity that the expired version now needs. Converting was very seamless, only needing to input the recurring transactions.
    I now only need to put up with Quicken for archival purposes.

Thanks John!!
  • edited December 2018
    John said:

The company line is that all the advertising done is in the interest of the user, however, I feel this is simply a high pressure sales tactic. The software has not improved in the way I use it as a standalone check on the financial institutions that I deal with.
    I have voted with my wallet, in that I have evaluated several alternatives and selected one that offers the same functionality that I need with out the need for constant internet connectivity that the expired version now needs. Converting was very seamless, only needing to input the recurring transactions.

Thanks Chuck!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    John said:

John,
    The company line is that all the advertising done is in the interest of the user
    Actually, in this case, they seem to be saying it's simply in their own interest.

In return for allowing users to continue having unlimited access to their data after a subscription expires -- something they had originally not planned to do when they shifted to subscriptions, until users erupted in protest last year -- the tradeoff they made is that they will hammer users over the head about renewing lapsed  subscriptions.

They apparently believe this will lead to more sales, and there can only be two reasons for that: (1) some users are unaware they're on a subscription which needs to be renewed, so Quicken needs to hit them over the head to make them aware, or (2) Quicken wants to make it so annoying, with the giant grab of screen space for the reminders, that some customers will just surrender, give in and purchase a subscription they didn't intend to buy.

I think they're being incredibly short-sighted, and will end up driving away more customers than they will retain with this heavy-handed approach.

QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • WannabeWannabe Member
    edited January 27
    John said:

The most ridiculous strategy I've ever seen from ANY software company.  The data is yours...but let's make the screen space so limited and advertising so annoying that you're making it almost unusable.

Makes me want to rethink subscribing...and just keeping my 2017 versions.  Even if that requires manual entry or subverting the locked download process.  

Or of course, just losing me (and others) as customers to other software products.  
  • need.some.nameneed.some.name Member ✭✭
    I wonder what happened to all the votes from previous forum, there is also no obvious way to vote now... So I will just post  - another "happy customer" here.
    Subscription QW H&B Canada
  • drandredrandre Member
    edited May 30
    Our "membership" subscription to the new Quicken expired about a month ago and now our Quicken [removed] has a banner and side banner [removed].  As I have had clarification, there is no need for a subscription or to pay for the Intuit services unless you use the connected services.  We are not using any connected services.  We use the software as an electronic check register to keep track and print checks.

The customer service rep on chat stated this might be with development to have an option to remove the [removed] advertisements. 

Top banner message:

Right pane message:

[removed]
This discussion has been closed.