add second security for a company

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
i have shares of company X, ticker ABC. trying to add second security for the same co X, ticker DEF, but quicken quicken does not allow me to do that, always reverting to the former

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Don't use the exact same name for the second security of the company.  Abbreviate differently, anything ... just so it's not the same.

1st security name can be X, so 2nd security name is "X, class b".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    yeah, tried that .. doesn't work, unfortunately. the moment i input ticker for the second security, quicken automatically defaults to the formal company name, and the new security does not get added. frustrating.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

yeah, tried that .. doesn't work, unfortunately. the moment i input ticker for the second security, quicken automatically defaults to the formal company name, and the new security does not get added. frustrating.

Are you doing this from the Security List dialog (Ctrl+Y)?

From there you can manually add the security by symbol and change the name using the "Click here" link.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

P.S.  Just noticed you haven't said what version of Quicken you are using.  The above instructions are for Quicken Windows.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    jskvarka not sure what version of Quicken you are using, but if you are using QWin, I think all you need to do is add the second security manually rather than via the ticker symbol.  Just click on the link at the bottom of the Add Security pop-up. Please let us know if that works.

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

QPW  sorry, I didn't realize I said the same thing as you.  I think it will work, but not sure.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

Its all good SimonSezSo, and you included pictures, even better.  :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    BINGO! the manual process that you highlighted made the trick. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to respond .. to you and also the other guys!
This discussion has been closed.