PLEASE add the ability to correct what category the software assigns transactions to for each suppli

Guys why are there 5000+ similar posts without this simple fix being done? I see people for over two years requesting the same thing. I could literally HALVE the time I spend on book keeping every month if I didn't have to manually fix AGAIN the software guessing wrongly for categories on as much as 50% of my transactions, most of the exactly THE SAME AS LAST MONTH??!!!!
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    Paul, you're right that a lot of people have asked for this capability in Quicken Mac. The problem has been that the list of features users have been clamoring for far exceeds what the Mac development team at Quicken has been capable of pumping out. This may be the single highest priority for you, but it wasn't what the developers perceived was the highest priority for the largest number of users, or the most serious problem to solve.

That doesn't mean they think it's not important; in fact, the product manager has acknowledged this as an issue on their roadmap for future development -- but we just don't know how soon we'll see this in a product release. They seem to go in waves with some major features and then a lot of smaller tweaks and fixes, and it feels like we've been in the latter phase in recent months, so if I were to guess, I'd expect to see some bigger issues, perhaps including this, in the first few months of 2019.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    This issue is a mixed bag. This is actually a problem that has existed in both QMac and QWin for a very long time, though varying in some of the nuances. So it is unclear what issues may or may not get addressed around this functionality, even if at all. 
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018

This issue is a mixed bag. This is actually a problem that has existed in both QMac and QWin for a very long time, though varying in some of the nuances. So it is unclear what issues may or may not get addressed around this functionality, even if at all. 

This is actually a problem that has existed in both QMac and QWin for a very long time, though varying in some of the nuances.
    I think there is one very fundamental difference Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows.
    Whereas both of them allow for "automatic guessing", Quicken Windows allows you to turn off that guessing and use a system that is under the control of the user.

No "automatic" system is going to be right every time, there just isn't enough information for that.  In fact even when the user has control of it, it won't be 100% either because given the information (payee and memo) and that one day they might Safeway to be Groceries and the next Household.  But at least with putting it into the hand of the user, they shouldn't have to keep "correcting the automatic guess" over and over.

One of the biggest surprises most "new users" have is when we point them at the renaming rules and memorized payees that Quicken has created over the time they use it, is just how many there are.  Just seeing that is a big help, and then pruning it down to what they really want and not create them automatically without them knowing about it solves a lot of problems.

And at least when they are creating 5 different categories for the same payee, they at least can see why it is impossible for Quicken to "pick the right one".
    edited December 2018

Agree 100%. No automatic system will ever be 100% accurate. 

As for what is still missing in QMac, you may want to add your VOTE to 
    First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• Paul AndrewPaul Andrew Member
    edited December 2018
    jacobs said:

Paul, you're right that a lot of people have asked for this capability in Quicken Mac. The problem has been that the list of features users have been clamoring for far exceeds what the Mac development team at Quicken has been capable of pumping out. This may be the single highest priority for you, but it wasn't what the developers perceived was the highest priority for the largest number of users, or the most serious problem to solve.

That doesn't mean they think it's not important; in fact, the product manager has acknowledged this as an issue on their roadmap for future development -- but we just don't know how soon we'll see this in a product release. They seem to go in waves with some major features and then a lot of smaller tweaks and fixes, and it feels like we've been in the latter phase in recent months, so if I were to guess, I'd expect to see some bigger issues, perhaps including this, in the first few months of 2019.

Thanks for the reply. I think this would be a very widely used feature. 
    edited December 2018

Can someone explain what this part of the reply means?
    "One of the biggest surprises most "new users" have is when we point them at the renaming rules and memorized payees that Quicken has created over the time they use it, is just how many there are.  Just seeing that is a big help, and then pruning it down to what they really want and not create them automatically without them knowing about it solves a lot of problems."
    edited December 2018

I have voted on the features above also. 
    edited December 2018

That comment applies to QWin, not QMac...

edited December 2018

You also have to click VOTE at the top of THIS page if you want the vote to count for THIS idea request.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited December 2018
    jacobs said:

You also have to click VOTE at the top of THIS page if you want the vote to count for THIS idea request.