How do I import credit card transactions to a payee

gary morrisongary morrison Member
edited December 2018 in
I downloaded a QFX file with all the transactions on my credit card.  How do I import this a split transactions on my credit card payee.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What Q product are you running?  What product year?  What Build/Release of the product?  What operating system?

This info is needed in order to provide you with an appropriate answer.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Huh? They all have the same payee? Aren’t you downloading them to a credit card Account? They should not be a split transaction. But separate transactions.

Just in case you are doing it the wrong way,

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this... [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    To the original question: The QFX file is a list of individual transactions.
    It can not be imported into Quicken as a split transaction.
    This applies whether using QWin or QMac.

Strongly urge that you follow volvogirls advice above and set up individual account(s) for your credit card(s).
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• gary morrisongary morrison Member
    edited December 2018
    sounds like I have it set up incorrectly.   I have each credit card loaded in my "bill reminders", I have the credit card being paid automatically my checking account.  I am wanting to keep track of each individual transaction charged to my cards

edited December 2018

sounds like I have it set up incorrectly.   I have each credit card loaded in my "bill reminders", I have the credit card being paid automatically my checking account.  I am wanting to keep track of each individual transaction charged to my cards

So far, you're right on track.  You just need to create/download each credit card transaction into the appropriate card account for that card.  There should be separate accounts in Q for each card account.

The "payee" in the card account is the merchant/store/etc where you had the transaction.  It's only when you're paying the card bill that the account (really, the bank) is the payee in your checking account.

And, again, the QFX file specs have no provision for split transactions.  SO, after you've downloaded what you can, you'll need to manually split those transaction.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

yeah - You just need to setup each CC with it's own account.
    Then - you can download the transactions, like your did with the QFX file,
    except now they will automatically get posted into the CC account register.
    Very simple.... you can also click a setup box to NOT auto-post, but to display the downloaded transactions for you to ACCEPT.
    Later - when you pay the CC bill - it's merely a Payment from your Checking account and it will later appear as a downloaded transaction for your CC account.
  • gary morrisongary morrison Member
    edited December 2018

Not sure that will work since I have 3 different credit cards from Chase and they all show under one log in.
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    gary morrison it seems like you have one CC account with 3 users.  For example, if you opened the CC account originally and then added two other users, then it's really one CC, Different banks handle it a bit differently, but the outcome is ultimately the same - all transactions go into one CC account and there is no way to separate it out on Quicken, unless you manually do so with Tags.  Sometimes a bank will allow different CC account numbers for added users and have different log ins, but, again the transactions are downloaded to one account (the main acct) on Quicken.

The only way to have transactions downloaded to separate CC accounts on Quicken, is if each of the 3 people applied for their own CC, and had their own CC account.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I have 2 Citibank credit cards that are under 1 login on the Citi site and transaction downloads to the 2 Citibank credit card accounts in my Quicken file work just fine.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

gary morrison  - Not sure that will work since I have 3 different credit cards from Chase and they all show under one log in.

------------------------

Even if you have a single Login ID - I'll bet that EACH credit card has it's own account number.
    I can specify that Quicken access my Chase accounts - each with a different number - but all under the same Chase Login ID -

As I mentioned above - you really just need to setup THREE accounts in Quicken, and they all can be accssed with the same single login ID.

Checking Acct -  ID XYZ / PW 123
    MM Acct - ID XYZ / PW 123
    CC #1 - ID XYZ / PW 123
    CC #2 - ID XYZ / PW 123
    CC #3 - ID XYZ / PW 123

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I have one Chase savings account and two Chase credit cards under the same username, they all download into different accounts.

Quicken doesn't group transactions based on the username, it bases it on on the account.
    edited December 2018

And I have 6 accounts at Fidelity Investments, with multiple securities in each account ... and Q downloads into each of the 6 accounts separately and updates the respective securities individually.

The number of Login ID's has NOTHING to do with the number of accounts.