Multiple Quicken IDs for Multiple accounts

I have been using Quicken for 20 yrs and it's a great product. (Quicken Home & Business)

Recently, I wanted to help a family member with their finances so I put them on my computer with a different Quicken ID so they could use Mobile. I manage their file by doing  all the downloads,  printing of reports for them and helping them with budgets. They use mobile to access their accounts and change categories as necessary. Note: any category I'm not sure of , I post to "NotSure" and they go in and change.

NOTE: This is a great way to help anyone needing financial management assistance. With tie information and reports, my family member is now able to see what they couldn't see before and make better financial decisions, i.e., Balances, Budgets, etc.

THE PROBLEM: Everything was working well until this last update at which time every time I opened a different Quicken  file it required me to sign in with the ID for that file. It also Cancelled mobile so I had to re-start mobile and loose any transactions that were made on mobile since the last sync. I spoke with support and they are looking into reversing the modification that affected this change.

Comments

• QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    Yeah I beta tested that change, and frankly first off most of us couldn't even figure out what its actual purpose was for.  And then on top of that whereas it might have made life easier for a very small percentage of users, it in turn made life terrible for whole other set of users, which might even be the "larger group".

It is a poorly thought out change.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    With subscription Quicken (2018+), there is only one Quicken Id associated with a subscription.  That QID has to be used with ALL data files and is the QID that will access the Quicken Cloud Accounts (QCA) that are created and accessed using QMobile and Q-Web.

The down side to this is that in your scenario, if you and your relative both have data files with corresponding QCAs for QMobile access, you can see his data (not an issue since you are helping maintain) but the relative will be able to see your data via QMobile (that might not be desirable).
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TedTed Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for your reply.

IMy situation is that I have 2 qid’s one for each data file. This would allow me to limit access to the cloud data .
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    Ted said:

Thank you for your reply.

IMy situation is that I have 2 qid’s one for each data file. This would allow me to limit access to the cloud data .

So, you bought two copies of Quicken?   What version (year) of Quicken are you using?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• miklkmiklk SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    Me too.

Unfortunately, they have made it more difficult to use more than 1 QID to maintain separate finances in a household as we did for 20 years.

You have a few choices

1 Share the 1 QID which works But only if the other user is allowed to see all your data that is SYNCed. You also are locked into 1 credit score. Not really a solution in my opinion.

2 Run the 2nd Quicken on a different computer or in a VM

3 Due to the recent changed, as you noticed, you can continue as you were but every time you change files, you need to log in with that files QID. (That change seemed very un-needed to me and caused more problems for users like us)

SINCE change to subscription, they basically have ignored the minority users like us that have always used multiple IDs for household users for over 20 years.
  • I also have a need to do this and am wondering procedurally, how do I set up (and I understand pay for, that is fine) a new quicken id subscription for someone else that I manage? Given that quicken id is one's email address? I cannot use my own quicken id - which is my email address - but I want to manage the other person's quicken account. Any creative solutions? I'm rattling my brain trying to figure out how that might work. There must be a way to "manage someone's quicken account". 
  • Use the other person's email address.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.