Needs to be a group delete function for downloaded transactions

We need a group delete function for downloaded transactions. Due to several online banking issues I have had to reconnect with Quicken Bill Pay and my Bank several times.  Each time my bank reconnects I get 3 months worth of transactions and I must go through them one by one to delete.  That is crazy!!! Big waste of time.  You should be able to select a range of transactions and delete all at once in the downloads window.  

When I was on the phone with tech support they said oh well it's not so bad!  You try to delete 40 transactions 1 at a time without accidentally accepting a few and then rereconcile your account to find the duplicate.  

Please quickly add a bulk delete function!!! It's essential if we are going to continue with these connection errors.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    Get in line, it has been suggested dozens of times.

In the meantime, see this FAQ: FAQ - Getting rid of transactions in D/L tab

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Charles BurnsCharles Burns Member
    edited December 2018
    Now that we have to pay each year for Q we should DEMAND that they fix this problem. Seems like it should be a simple fix. Since Q and Citibank are having download problems this has become more urgent. Support's fix is to deactivate and the reactivate the account causing 3 months of transactions being downloaded!!!
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018

Now that we have to pay each year for Q we should DEMAND that they fix this problem. Seems like it should be a simple fix. Since Q and Citibank are having download problems this has become more urgent. Support's fix is to deactivate and the reactivate the account causing 3 months of transactions being downloaded!!!

Not only has this been requested dozens of times, the workarounds for
    the duplicate transactions have been posted even more, and in fact it
    has been pointed out many times how Intuit could fix the source of the
    problem so that people don't get duplicate transactions in the first
    place, and also the history of Intuit trying to put in such a feature in
    a beta test and failing.  So what might seem like a simple fix to you,
    must not be a simple fix to them.
  • Charles BurnsCharles Burns Member
    edited December 2018

Interesting that Q supports that function in the register but not in the downloaded transactions. The workaround of accepting them then doing a group delete can easily lead to errors. I don't see their support as being customer focused.
    Interesting also that they blame citibank for the download problem when some of the accounts download but others don't.. Its been a problem since  2014 if not before
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018

The register and the Downloaded Transactions tab are completely different.
    From what I can tell the register is using some very customized controls, and the Downloaded Transactions tab is using more of a standardized list.

But the real point is it is very different code and both are very complicated to support all the different modes that they have.  What might look trivial on the surface might in fact be a nightmare in the code.

As for the problems with Express Web Connect, that is almost "by design".

As in what it is an agreement between Intuit and the financial institution on how they should log in and get the transactions from the financial institution's website.

They aren't using any set protocol like Direct Connect uses.  The financial institution can change the website in ways that break the downloading at any time.  Even though they are suppose to notify Intuit of such changes, they don't always do it, and I think mostly they don't know what is going to break things until it does.  And I don't think Intuit is very quick to adjust to these changes.  It is a hard job when they are trying to support over 15,000 financial institutions that are all "doing their own thing".

So yes the financial institutions and the lack of standards are the main problem, but that wasn't what I referred to in my comment.  I was talking about the duplicate transactions.

The way Quicken knows if a given transaction is a duplicate is by the unique Id.
    Each transaction is given an unique Id and Quicken stores it.  If the transaction is downloaded again with that same unique Id, Quicken ignores it.

With Direct Connect the financial institutions are generating those unique Ids, and they tend to do a very good job of it.  That is why if you reset/deactivate/reactivate a Direct Connect account you don't see duplicates, because they keep the unique Ids consistent.

With Express Web Connect it depends on who is generating that unique Id.  Some financial institutions provide Intuit with a way to get a QFX file they have generated.  That has the unique Ids in it.  If they don't provide the data in that format Intuit has to generate the unique Ids, and they do a poor job of that.

The system they are using will give different unique Ids for the same transactions after a reset/deactivate/reactivate.  That is what causes the duplicate transactions in Quicken.  What's more they give the same unique Id for if a given transaction is repeated in the data they get.  For instance you pay a toll to and from work.  Those transactions will look identical, and Intuit will generate the same unique Id, and Quicken will ignore the second one.  In this case when the financial institution sends the same transaction twice in the data, there needs be something like a "counter" that keeps the second one unique.

Note that Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service, so they can't directly change this bad functionality.

Note here is the FAQ on how to remove duplicates in bulk:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicate-transactions

And I will add that if you are using automatic transaction entry mode you can just sort on the Status (first column with blue dot) and all of the New transactions will group together where you can select them and delete them.