Manual match download window

Quicken please provide an option to filter out or eliminate reconciled or clear transactions from populating the Manual Match Window.    Thank you 
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• PerryPerry Member
    edited December 2018
     Quicken should restore a mechanism that allows users to remove transactions from the Manual Match dialog.
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member
    edited December 2018
    You don't say what version  of Quicken you are using, but if you use the Windows version, the capability is already there.  After you download transactions, if you right click on any one of the downloaded transactions, just click on "Hide matched transactions" from the pop-up menu.  You then will see only unmatched transactions in the match window.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser
    edited December 2018

You don't say what version  of Quicken you are using, but if you use the Windows version, the capability is already there.  After you download transactions, if you right click on any one of the downloaded transactions, just click on "Hide matched transactions" from the pop-up menu.  You then will see only unmatched transactions in the match window.

If you right click on a transaction in the download area beneath the register and then select "Hide accepted transactions", that does eliminate downloaded transactions in the download area.  But I think the OP is referring to the window that shows up when you tell Quicken you want to manually match a transaction in the download area to a transaction in the register:

That window does present a whole bunch of transactions that, presumably, should not be available for matching, like the one transaction shown here.
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member
    edited December 2018

Tom Young thank you, I did misunderstand the issue.  I agree. When I have had to manually match transactions, the window not only presents a lot of items that shouldn't be there but it also I have found at times, it doesn't include the transactions that should match, even though it's in the register.  

I think what Quicken is doing is presenting any transaction that doesn't have a "downloaded amount" attached to it.  It is just an educated guess. 
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

The ability to remove transactions from the manual match dialog (*) was removed several years ago (before Quicken left Intuit). At the time, Intuit said it was intentional and that it was necessary for some other goal which they had - I don't recall whether Intuit ever revealed what that goal was.

If Quicken would explain the reason for removing that capability, that might encourage a more meaningful discussion of the subject.

As things stand, given that the removal of the capability was intentional, I'm not sure the request to restore it has a good chance of succeeding.

[(*) The old means of removing a transaction from the manual match dialog was to right-click the transaction, hold down CTRL while left-clicking "Copy transaction(s)", then put a checkmark in "Downloaded transaction". While it could conceivably have been simpler, the process seemed quite logical and appropriate.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

The ability to remove transactions from the manual match dialog (*) was removed several years ago (before Quicken left Intuit). At the time, Intuit said it was intentional and that it was necessary for some other goal which they had - I don't recall whether Intuit ever revealed what that goal was.

If Quicken would explain the reason for removing that capability, that might encourage a more meaningful discussion of the subject.

As things stand, given that the removal of the capability was intentional, I'm not sure the request to restore it has a good chance of succeeding.

[(*) The old means of removing a transaction from the manual match dialog was to right-click the transaction, hold down CTRL while left-clicking "Copy transaction(s)", then put a checkmark in "Downloaded transaction". While it could conceivably have been simpler, the process seemed quite logical and appropriate.

I recall the capability was removed in Q2013 or Q2014 and it was removed as having the full list was needed for syncing to Quicken cloud for Q mobile.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Not sure about the issue with QMobile but QMac 2007 has the ability to selectively delete any or any group of transactions with ease. Shift-Click or Command-Click to make selections, then click delete selection. Simple interface.

And the matching is a separate but related feature within that. But since that has not been removed, clearly, this is not a factor. 

Not sure the programming behind it but standard as far as UI goes. So not sure what all the fuss is to make it available. 
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

@smayer97, you don't understand the problem.  Quicken Windows can delete multiple transactions, that isn't the issue.

From that I understand Quicken Mac has a completely different way to do manual matching.

As you you drag the "manually entered transaction" that wasn't matched to the downloaded one  and drop it on it.  Correct?

This is similar to what happens with when Quicken Windows is in automatic transaction entry mode.

The way a the manual match is done in this mode is the person select the "status" of the manually entered transaction and a menu appears.  On the menu is "Manual match to downloaded transaction".  When selected it will show only that downloaded transactions that have yet to be reviewed and have the exact same amount.  (Before starting the manual match one would if need be change the amount of the manually entered transaction to the amount of the downloaded one.)

In this way seldom is this list more than one downloaded transaction in the dialog that pops up, and you can just select OK.  Or in rare cases select one of the downloaded transactions and then OK.

The manual match for when Quicken Windows when not in automatic entry mode works differently.

With a downloaded transaction selected in the Downloaded Transactions tab, the user can select a menu item to manually match.

This pops up the same dialog as explained above, but the criteria for the list is different.  First off the amounts don't have to match.  Past that for the most part any transaction that hasn't been matched to a downloaded transaction might be in the list.  At least it was in the past.  You might have cleared or even reconciled transactions in the list.

This can be caused by a number of things like the user deleting the downloaded transaction instead of matching.

I believe currently it won't display reconciled transactions.  This is a fairly recent change.

How it determines what transactions have been matched is "Downloaded" flag that C. D. Bales referred to.  But they have now made that flag inaccessible to the user to change.  Even with this "hidden" key sequence.

But the point is that this "list" (which is probably really a "query") can get real long depending on several factors, making it very hard to find the transaction that the user wants to match to.  And the user has no way of pruning that list of transactions that they will never want to match to.

Edit:

I might add that what this manual match does when you match to a transaction with a different amount is almost always "wrong".  What it will do is turn it into a split and have one split line with no category set to the difference between the two.

But there is something else it can do that would certainly be nice, which can't be done with Quicken Windows' automatic entry mode manual match (and maybe not Quicken Mac's) and that is you can match one downloaded transaction to multiple manually entered transactions, and it will combine them into a split.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I recall the capability was removed in Q2013 or Q2014 and it was removed
    as having the full list was needed for syncing to Quicken cloud for Q
    mobile.
    I don't think that was the case.  If I remember
    correctly what was changed was the attachments.  As in they made the
    dialog a royal pain said it was because Quicken mobile needed it.

In any case it makes no sense that this is connected to the Quicken Cloud account in any way.

Quicken
    Cloud account doesn't do manual matching.  And this "list" isn't a
    list, it is a "query".  The transactions and their flags can be synced
    if need be.

What was removed was the ability to change a flag. 
    There is no way that can be required not to change because of syncing to
    the Quicken Cloud.

Personally I always hated the "hidden key sequence".
    This is the kind of functionality that shouldn't be "hidden", the user should be able to affect what is on that list and do it in a straightforward manner.  And it should take 10 clicks to clear one transaction off the the list (you might have a hundreds of transactions on that list for case of switch from manual entry to downloading of transactions)
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I think my memory may be better than yours ;-)
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I'm sure it is.  :-)

In any case I don't buy all of Quicken Inc's lame excuses.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Thanks for clarifying the 2 different windows. 

As for: 
    But there is something else it can do that would certainly be nice, which can't be done with Quicken Windows' automatic entry mode manual match (and maybe not Quicken Mac's) and that is you can match one downloaded transaction to multiple manually entered transactions, and it will combine them into a split.
    Correct. this cannot be done in QMac... There is an IDEA request for it though.
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Dan CDan C Member
    edited January 23
    I too am frustrated about this -- I have transactions from many months ago that still clutter my "Match Manually" window -- making it difficult to find the proper match.  Quicken -- please fix this.