"Is this the scheduled payment..." not appearing on all scheduled payments - Q2016

susantrsusantr Member
edited January 11 in
I'm using Q2016 (tried 2018 and went back to 2016).  I have a half dozen or so monthly reminders set up.  Some of them, when entering the payment in the register, will pop up a prompt "Is this the scheduled payment...?".  Others don't have the pop-up.  I've stared and compared ones that work and ones that don't work and they all seem to be the same.  I've deleted all the reminders and re-entered them, but some still don't have the pop-up.  What am I missing?  Thanks!

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    How are you "entering the payment in the register"?
    Are you entering a new transaction, supposedly with the exact same Payee Name as the scheduled reminder? And that is not giving you a connection to the reminder?

When I have a Scheduled Reminder, I always click the Reminder from one of the many views available to work with reminders (the register itself, the Bill and Incomer Reminders area at the bottom of the register, Home tab / Bill and Income Reminders view, Bills & Income tab, etc.) and execute it to get a real register transaction. I always do that before I download transactions from the bank that may contain a transaction confirmation for that scheduled reminder. That always works for me.
  • susantrsusantr Member
    edited January 11
    Yes, a new transaction with the exact same Payee Name (selected from the "memorized" payee list).  Since I don't download transactions from the bank, I enter all transactions from my paper check register.  I'm not sure what you mean in the 2nd paragraph about clicking the reminder?  I enter the transaction, sometimes the "Is this the next..." pops up, sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you for your help!  I know I'm a dinosaur since I don't do online banking, or download transactions and enter everything from my paper register!

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    susantr said:

Yes, a new transaction with the exact same Payee Name (selected from the "memorized" payee list).  Since I don't download transactions from the bank, I enter all transactions from my paper check register.  I'm not sure what you mean in the 2nd paragraph about clicking the reminder?  I enter the transaction, sometimes the "Is this the next..." pops up, sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you for your help!  I know I'm a dinosaur since I don't do online banking, or download transactions and enter everything from my paper register!

It's been screwed up for quite a while. I did find a KB article that talks about it but I sure did not think that was the way it worked. I'm using QW19 and downloading. Sometimes the reminder pops-up, mostly not. ????  I just turned the option back on and am testing it, so far no reminder candidates have been downloaded.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-turn-reminder-next-scheduled-payment
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Let's see now. Where, in the register, can I find future Scheduled Reminders that are about to come due?
    Here's a snippet from my Checking account register:

The first 2 transactions represent credit card payments I just made.
    Transaction #3, dated 12/19, with the little clock icon, shows a future Scheduled Reminder as if it already were a real register transaction. To execute this reminder and make it become a real register transaction all you have to do is to click the clock icon.

Alternatively, you can use the Bill and Income reminders tab area at the bottom of the register. If it isn't open (expanded to show transactions) click the Bill and Income Reminders title text.
    In there you can see additional Scheduled Reminders listed. Click to select one, review the transaction details, make changes as needed (amount, due date, etc.) and done. No typing Payee Names required. No popup to answer or worry about if it goes missing.

Since you've been using Quicken for more than two years I would have assumed you already knew that.

Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on
    how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.

To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question
    mark. Click it to get view - specific help.

• susantrsusantr Member
    edited January 11
    My register looks like that up to the XXXX Transaction item.  I don't see the items below the gray line in your screen capture.  Possibly I don't have an option turned on??

Anyway, thanks for your help!
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    susantr said:

My register looks like that up to the XXXX Transaction item.  I don't see the items below the gray line in your screen capture.  Possibly I don't have an option turned on??

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Correct, you don't have the option turned on to show reminders in the register. It's the little clock icon, top right in the register.  I don't use that option either.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

The Bill and Income
    Reminders tab and the Downloaded Transactions tab do not show at the bottom of
    the register if the account has been set to "automatically accept
    downloaded transactions into your register".

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded
    transaction" settings?

There are two places
    where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:

- Globally, for all accounts, in Edit /
    Preferences / Downloaded Transactions

- For each account individually, the
    global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online
    Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF".
    Click the text to change the setting.

To add on to markus1957's response:
    As an alternative to the Bill and Income Reminders tab, you can see future scheduled reminders directly in your account register as if they were real transactions already, but only if the option is enabled.
    The little clock icon in the upper right hand corner of the register, next to the Actions gear icon, controls how many days in advance you will see future reminders.
    If the clock icon does not show, click the Actions gear icon instead, then click "Show reminders".