Stop mobile app from seeking credentials

Judson CaskeyJudson Caskey Member
edited December 2018 in Using the Mobile App
Is there a way to stop the mobile app from connecting to institutions? I don't need it to and it is only an annoyance. When I want to simply enter a transaction, the app asks me to update bank and credit card credentials. Sometimes it keeps trying and then gets me blocked from my account. I want to shut that feature off for the mobile app.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No.  Quicken designed the Quicken Cloud Account (used by QMobile & Q-Web) to get updates from the financial institution independent of the downloads between the FI and desktop Quicken.  There is no way to get around this process.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited December 2018
    So mobile/cloud used to take data from the desktop app, where the data has been adjusted and cleansed as you see fit - for instance, a vague entry about a check gets who got payed and what it is for (assuming you bother).  But if mobile/cloud takes it directly from the fi's, that's often not going to be fully correct let alone informative.  Wonder where that bright idea came from.

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    pbug56 said:

So mobile/cloud used to take data from the desktop app, where the data has been adjusted and cleansed as you see fit - for instance, a vague entry about a check gets who got payed and what it is for (assuming you bother).  But if mobile/cloud takes it directly from the fi's, that's often not going to be fully correct let alone informative.  Wonder where that bright idea came from.

Hello Ron. Appreciate your question.

The new mobile app was made to allow for not only data to come down from Quicken, but also to download transactions directly from the banks through the app instead of having to receive the data from Quicken.  

It is beneficial for those who need to see what the current balances are for each bank without remembering to sync from their computer.

This is why the new mobile app works the way that it is.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited December 2018
    pbug56 said:

Harold covered most of the remarks I was going to post, but I have one other.

It is this double downloading that I feel is causing the file corruption that users are getting.  All of the connections between the QCA and the FI are Express Web Connect.  Now, if your desktop account is Direct Connect and the QCA is EWC, there is no insurance that the FITIDs will be the same for Quicken to use in transaction matching.

IMHO, it is this double downloading that is QMobile/Q-Webs downfall.  The old Pocket Quicken that worked with the PDAs didn't have this problem since it was only PDA<->desktop in transferring information.

• pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited December 2018
    pbug56 said:

I understand Harold; current balance info is fine, but I have a real issue if the details I download don't make sense because they don't reflect my desktop updates.  As to cloud being broken by this, all I know is that for well over a year now (late 2017) I have had to keep cloud off (and sometimes it turns itself back on) or else my data file get corrupted PLUS quicken desktop goes crazy and starts prompting me to log into various institutions - every time.  I'm wondering if what you told me is the reason - it isn't trying to update my desktop so much as enable this download from FI's directly to the mobile app.  I had numerous emails back and forth with tech support, even corporate and no one ever mentioned this.  Lovely!  In the meantime, I'm constantly waiting for mobile to reactivate and drive me crazy!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    pbug56 said:

The new mobile app was made to allow for not only data to come down from
    Quicken, but also to download transactions directly from the banks
    through the app instead of having to receive the data from Quicken.
    This doesn't make any sense to me.

With the "old mobile app" there were people that would go for long periods of time where they would they would use only the mobile app, not only would they manually enter transactions, they would also get downloaded transactions from their financial institution and they would assign categories to those transactions.

Then when they got home they would sync.  If the old mobile app's transactions from the financial institutions didn't go down to the Desktop then how would the transactions get categorized according to what they did on the mobile app?
  • Judson CaskeyJudson Caskey Member
    edited December 2018
    The problem is that your app keeps pinging my credit card company and gets me locked out so that I have to keep calling their customer service. I want it to [profanity removed]!!! Why can't you just give an option not to sync the mobile app with financial institutions?
    edited December 2018
    pbug56 said:

I've got cloud completely turned off because of it's numerous problems.  

I believe if they did away with the FI -> Cloud Account functionality, most of their problems would go away.  Getting the same feed from two different directions is bound to led to problems.

• Judson CaskeyJudson Caskey Member
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

No.  Quicken designed the Quicken Cloud Account (used by QMobile & Q-Web) to get updates from the financial institution independent of the downloads between the FI and desktop Quicken.  There is no way to get around this process.

That is ridiculous. It results in me getting blocked from my bank accounts.
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

It may be ridiculous, but that is what the users wanted.  Evidently it was important for someone while away from their desktop Quicken to know if a deposit had been made into their bank account, so they made it so that the Quicken Cloud Account (on the Quicken server) would do downloads from the financial institution in parallel and separate from the desktop.

I would think that anyone that mobile inclined would check with the FI's website rather than count on Quicken to tell them, but then, what do I know.

• pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

I agree.  We use Quicken for a complete, detailed picture.  We can log into most FI's easily, usually using their apps, if all we need is a balance.  I wanted Mobile / Cloud to be able to check details when I'm not home.
    '
This discussion has been closed.